TMDSAS primary essays help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1004337

Hello,

I am in the process of writing my essays for the TMDSAS app. For my actual PS, I talked about my grandfather and how I became interested in medicine. Nothing special.

The second essay "Learning from others is enhanced in educational settings that include individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences. Please describe your personal characteristics (background, talents, skills, etc.) or experiences that would add to the educational experience of others." I talked about my dance and how that shaped me into the best I am today and what I learned from it that applies to my life. My question, is this a good topic? I have tons to write about and my current draft looks promising.

The third optional (it really isn't tbh) "Briefly discuss any unique circumstances or life experiences that are relevant to your application which has not previously been presented." Should I talk about the bad grades I have gotten like freshmen and soph year of college (these were Cs btw). I have mentioned briefly on my PS how my grades weren't so good but they improved (I got straight As late junior and all senior year). But is it worth writing a whole essay apologizing for the grades?
OR
I am interested in primary care. I have always been, this is kind why I wanted to be a doctor in the first place. So, should I take this opportunity to take about my experience in medicine that drew me towards primary care? I shorta mentioned primary care in my PS and will definitely elaborate in my secondaries.
OR I could talk about my work at a women's center. This is something I didn't get to talk about anywhere and was just going to add it as my "most meaningful" but if this sounds good, I will write a whole essay on it. TSo, the women's center is for people who were met with sexual or domestic violence. I had to get a licence to be an advocate so that took a while before I could actually start working there. I comforted the clients through their time there- getting them whatever they need, either in the shelter or going to the store for them. I also answer a lot of crisis phone calls on our 24/7 hotline, so I worked with a lot of traumatized clients. But most importantly, this cause was definitely something I am passionate about, as I had some personal experiences as well.

Overall, whatever i don't end up writing an essay on will get mentioned in my secondaries when they ask "is there anything else you would like to tell adcoms?" actually for this, should I mention the mad grades? or should I just not mention it at all. As I said, I mentioned in my PS that I had academic shortcomings and why I had them and that they improved (this was like 2-3 sentences). and of source, I will mention primary care at some point.

TBH, my life is pretty vanilla lol. I have no special life experiences. My parents moved to America when I was little and my grandfather passed away (why I wanted to go into the medical field). And I got a decent education and my early college sucked but it got better. That's all lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Generally, I’m skeptical of sports/arts as a metaphor for medicine schtick so as long as your dance essay avoids that it should be ok. For me, that essay prompt is asking how you will contribute to the diversity of the class which does not have to be about racial/ethnic diversity. Think about perspectives/experiences/characteristics you can bring.

Generally, I’m skeptical of sports/arts as a metaphor for medicine schtick so as long as your dance essay avoids that it should be ok. For me, that essay prompt is asking how you will contribute to the diversity of the class which does not have to be about racial/ethnic diversity. Think about perspectives/experiences/characteristics you can bring.

Understood. I talked about how I had training in classical dance and I taught it to other people as well. Nowhere in the essay, I talked about "medicine" or "health care". I just talked about how it made me confident and how the lessons I have learned will help me in a diverse situation. So yes, maybe I can revise a little and talk about the "perspectives/characteristics" but overall I did not relate it to medicine rather how the things i have learned and the mindset will benefit me and everyone in a diverse class.

Also, what are your opinions on my 3rd essay?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn’t use your personal statement to address academic shortcomings unless it is really central to your story. Your personal statement should be about telling your story of why medicine and why you should be a doctor. You could use essay 3 to address academic shortcomings. You could also use your story of moving to a new country when you were young because that experience isn’t vanilla.

what is the outline for your personal statement?

I wouldn’t use your personal statement to address academic shortcomings unless it is really central to your story. Your personal statement should be about telling your story of why medicine and why you should be a doctor. You could use essay 3 to address academic shortcomings. You could also use your story of moving to a new country when you were young because that experience isn’t vanilla.

Got it. I have read multiple forums saying that maybe I shouldn't talk about my bad grades in my essay 3 because I will get opportunities to do that in my secondaries. Moving to another country wasn't that special. My dad got a job in America and we all moved here when I was little. I explained why we decided to move to America in my PS. I just don't think me moving to another country would make for good life experience? I am not sure. I guess I would write about how I had to adapt to this environment and how it was different from my home country and how that this experience made me appreciative of all cultures?? IDK.
What do you think about the crisis counselor essay? I have been a counselor for quite a while now. It has nothing to do with medicine but I have some experiences I would talk about in my essay 3.

P1: background of my grandfather- how that made me interested in being a doctor and why we moved to America
P2: College hospital work and 2-3 sentences on my bad grades
P3: I worked in a free clinic and talk about that and related it back to the hospital experience.
P4: Why medicine again

Characters count with spaces 4936/5000

Okay maybe I can make this a bit clear:

Essay 1: PS
Essay 2: Option 1: Dance. Option 2: Crisis Counselor
Essay 3: Option 1: Dance. Option 2: Crisis Counselor. Option 3: Moving to America.

i can’t say which options would be better because I haven’t read them or lived your experiences. Somethings that I would encourage you to keep in mind would be to: assume your essays are going to be the 50th essays this person has read that day. Assume they are going to spend about 1 minute per essay to decide if they are going to read more. Your goal should be to make sure that the message you are conveying is as clear as possible and easily understood within the context of the question. If at any point you are confused or unsure about why something is in your essay or how it relates to the prompt you should remove it.