TMDSAS ranking time!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicandtoughness

pewpew
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's what I have so far:
1. UTSW
2-4. Long, Dell, Baylor
5-6. Foster vs. UTMB

EDIT: Have pre-matches at Foster and UTMB!

Basically, I know I'll be ranking Foster and UTMB lower and Long/Dell/Baylor higher, but no idea how to rank within those groupings.

Instead of doing pros/cons for each school, I figured I would tell you the important things for me (most important on top):

1. Location. My partner works for a large government-affiliated corporation in Dallas and cannot relocate for work. (Given his career trajectory too, he has no intention of leaving to find another job). We are still debating whether long-distance is a deal breaker, but the closer I can be to Dallas the easier it will be for us eventually.
2. Prefer non-attendance-required schools.
3. Prefer early clinical experiences (e.g. longitudinal clinic starting MS1).
4. Prefer larger cities to smaller cities.
5. I am very involved in the dance community (specifically, Chinese dance and ballet); it keeps me sane and would like to be in a city where I have access to this hobby. (Chinese dance exists in Houston and Dallas, but nowhere else; ballet exists in all cities noted).
6. I want to be involved in medical education in the future (dream job = hospitalist + teaching at a med school) and prefer schools that have programs or opportunities to develop this (e.g. UTSW has a medical education pathway).
7. I am considering MD/MBA (did not apply directly this cycle), so would prefer a school who has a good established program.

I'm not gunning for a competitive specialty (currently interested in: neurology, IM, FM) so relative "prestige" is not so important. (But I'm gonna be honest, I am 100% a UTSW simp).

Help a girl out :')

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If location is the absolutely most important thing for you, rank UTSW #1.

However, going by the things you have posted and shared this year, the school culture fit is probably the worst for you at this school.

Think about what will frustrate you more: seeing your fiancé less, or being in a school without the liberal viewpoints you espouse.

If location is the absolutely most important thing for you, rank UTSW #1.

However, going by the things you have posted and shared this year, the school culture fit is probably the worst for you at this school.

Think about what will frustrate you more: seeing your fiancé less, or being in a school without the liberal viewpoints you espouse.
Could you please elaborate on the political atmosphere? Are certain TX schools more liberal/conservative than others?

Members don't see this ad :)
Very clearly
1. UTSW
2. Baylor
3. Dell
4. Long
5-6 (idk)

I'd put Baylor higher because reputation, dance, formalized teaching opportunities, and imo the BEST vacation policy. I feel like my friends at Baylor are constantly somewhere else, which could be good if you do have to do long distance. They also have relatively early clinical experience and go into academics allll over. A strong program that will open many doors for you.

Then Dell. I put this one next because it has a stellar MBA program OR if you choose to do a different 3rd year option, you could live in Dallas for the 3rd year. There aren't a lot of lecture contact hours, but it isn't exactly conducive to doing from somewhere else (i.e the in-person case based learning MWF mornings will limit your weekends in Dallas) but I'm not sure how that compares to Long. It is also slightly closer to Dallas and has a direct train into downtown Dallas which I'm a big fan of because you can study while riding! Also, clearly MS2 is early clinical experience at Dell lol.

Last edited:
Then Dell. I put this one next because it has a stellar MBA program OR if you choose to do a different 3rd year option, you could live in Dallas for the 3rd year. There aren't a lot of lecture contact hours, but it isn't exactly conducive to doing from somewhere else (i.e the in-person case based learning MWF mornings will limit your weekends in Dallas) but I'm not sure how that compares to Long. It is also slightly closer to Dallas and has a direct train into downtown Dallas which I'm a big fan of because you can study while riding! Also, clearly MS2 is early clinical experience at Dell lol.
I'm curious how you'd rank Dell if the student was not planning to pursue an MBA during the 3rd year. Obviously the McCombs MBA is a great selling point, but I would be more interested in spending that 3rd year studying something different and have been trying to determine if that would raise or lower them on my rank list. I rate their other Masters programs as valuable as well fwiw.

Here's what I have so far:
1. UTSW
2-4. Long, Dell, Baylor
5-6. Foster vs. UTMB

EDIT: Have pre-matches at Foster and UTMB!

Basically, I know I'll be ranking Foster and UTMB lower and Long/Dell/Baylor higher, but no idea how to rank within those groupings.

Instead of doing pros/cons for each school, I figured I would tell you the important things for me (most important on top):

1. Location. My partner works for a large government-affiliated corporation in Dallas and cannot relocate for work. (Given his career trajectory too, he has no intention of leaving to find another job). We are still debating whether long-distance is a deal breaker, but the closer I can be to Dallas the easier it will be for us eventually.
2. Prefer non-attendance-required schools.
3. Prefer early clinical experiences (e.g. longitudinal clinic starting MS1).
4. Prefer larger cities to smaller cities.
5. I am very involved in the dance community (specifically, Chinese dance and ballet); it keeps me sane and would like to be in a city where I have access to this hobby. (Chinese dance exists in Houston and Dallas, but nowhere else; ballet exists in all cities noted).
6. I want to be involved in medical education in the future (dream job = hospitalist + teaching at a med school) and prefer schools that have programs or opportunities to develop this (e.g. UTSW has a medical education pathway).
7. I am considering MD/MBA (did not apply directly this cycle), so would prefer a school who has a good established program.

I'm not gunning for a competitive specialty (currently interested in: neurology, IM, FM) so relative "prestige" is not so important. (But I'm gonna be honest, I am 100% a UTSW simp).

Help a girl out :')
Happiness is important and helps me recharge ! No. 5 in your list to be in the city where you can have a hobby you love. I love music and hope to continue in med school.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm curious how you'd rank Dell if the student was not planning to pursue an MBA during the 3rd year. Obviously the McCombs MBA is a great selling point, but I would be more interested in spending that 3rd year studying something different and have been trying to determine if that would raise or lower them on my rank list. I rate their other Masters programs as valuable as well fwiw.

Lots of flexibility in the third year, I've found my master's degree to be a great conversation starter at residency interviews and will hopefully be a part of my future practice and employment. I know for people who did research, it was a great way to get to know faculty in detail and get great letters of rec. It also has flexibility to potentially live somewhere else (MPH and Masters of Health Care Transformation are largely virtual if you can work out your longitudinal clinics) or do research at another institution (again, have to figure out your FM clinics).

My impression of UTSW is more academic and less social determinants of health focused, maybe my impression of your interests is wrong tho
I’m currently a student at UTSW. While it isn’t as focused on social determinants of health as other schools, we do have occasional lectures on it. And if you are passionate about it, there are opportunities to learn more about this aspect of medicine. UTSW frequently has electives on topics that relate to social determinants of health/caring for marginalized communities. The school is affiliated with like 4 or 5 free clinics (although volunteer spots do go quick). Not to mention that our main teaching hospital, Parkland, is the county safety net hospital, with many patients who have no health insurance. And there are optional programs to really dive deep in community medicine.

So I think someone who is passionate about social determinants of health could be happy at UTSW, but you will have to seek out the opportunities on your own.

I would also be more than happy to answer any questions about UTSW.

Reactions: 2 users