TMS program for Navy Reserve Doctors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jet915

Shi*ter's Rule
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I searched this forum and couldn't find too much on TMS for the Navy Reserves. Has anyone here gone through the program? What do you think so far? You can send me a pm as well, I have a few questions. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The TMS program had a change as of 1 March and that is that you can not transfer to the IRR after residency. You have to complete 3 years in the Reserves (1 weekend a month/2 weeks a year), then you can transfer into the Inactive Ready Reserves. You get paid $500-600 every month even though you only actually attend 2 weekends each year. The others are accounted for by what you're already doing in your residency.

You could be recalled during your IRR time, but it has never happened in the 200+ years of the Navy. It's a popular theme with the Army, but has never happened in the Navy.

Option 2:
If you know you want the pride of service and you want the added experience of Navy medicine, then there is the Stipend and Loan Repayment option. You give the Navy 2 years Reserve time for every year you receive this but you get $2060 per month Stipend AND you get $50,000 loan repayment. Receive it 2 years, give 4. Receive it 3, give 6.

We should look at it as a chance to serve our country, even if only part time for just a few years. But you can also look at it as 3 years of residency equals $74,160 in pay plus $50,000 loan repayment and you serve part-time for 6 years (still making about $10,000 each year).

Then add the Post 9/11 GI Bill that you'll be entitled to. 100% tuition paid plus living expenses that you can use yourself or transfer to your spouse/children.

Add the $50 month Medical Insurance option you have as a reservist (also during your residency).

Add the travel, experiences, and friendships you gain along the way.

Presidents who served:
John F. Kennedy (1961-63)
Lyndon B. Johnson (1963-69)
Richard M. Nixon (1969-74)
Gerald R. Ford (1974-77)
Jimmy Carter (1977-81)
George Bush (1989-93)

"Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, 'I served in the United States Navy,'" wrote President John F. Kennedy in August 1963.

As you can tell, I'm serving and proud to be in the Navy!

Last edited: