To all IRTA's out there...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcxyz0123

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What did you guys do when it came to the "activities" section of AMCAS if you were planning on starting an NIH IRTA fellowship after submitting your app? Right now I want to submit my app, but I don't start my position until July 2, so I am not sure what to do. I am planning on just leaving it off of the activities section, but do most of you think that is a good idea? It seems adcoms dont pay attention to whats outside of AMCAS. Also, considering that many secondaries don't even ask what you are doing for the year, or even ask any essay questions (i.e. mayo), what if they don't ever find out?

Members don't see this ad.

What did you guys do when it came to the "activities" section of AMCAS if you were planning on starting an NIH IRTA fellowship after submitting your app? Right now I want to submit my app, but I don't start my position until July 2, so I am not sure what to do. I am planning on just leaving it off of the activities section, but do most of you think that is a good idea? It seems adcoms dont pay attention to whats outside of AMCAS. Also, considering that many secondaries don't even ask what you are doing for the year, or even ask any essay questions (i.e. mayo), what if they don't ever find out?

I put my 'future activity' in (i was going to work in Chad for the year). And I explained it in the available space - expected activities, expected skills to learn, etc... I think it's not a good idea to leave it out - unless you put it in a section that asks what you're doing this year, but if they don't ask that, put it in somewhere, and no school I interviewed at (12 schools) minded that I put it in, they actually asked a lot of questions about it.

you could send an update a little while after you start. that way you can actually say something about what you'll be doing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in that same situation last year when I started my NIH fellowship. I listed the dates as "June 2006-present" and then in the detailed description, I included that I was actually beginning the yearlong fellowship in August.

I waited until a week after I started my fellowship to send in my app :)