To all of you out there with low GPAs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nily

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't be intimidated by numbers. GPAs don't mean anything by themselves, they are just part of a big picture.
I would like to tell you my story.
I applied late to schools (late december), took the DATs with only 2 weeks of prep, scored a mere 18. My GPA was around 3.1.
But YET: I got into all of my top choice schools, which include: NYU, Tufts, Penn, and BU.
To my opinion, the most important factor is the way you present yourself during the interview, the self-confidence and genuine enthusiasm you express about the profession, and determination.
I can say that all my interviewers loved me and wanted me in their schools.
If you know that dentistry is right for you and you can convince your interviewers of that fact, plus demonstrate some maturity, you're in.
My essay helped a lot also. I talked a lot about my personal motivations and values.

So don't despair even if you have low grades. Remember me!

Members don't see this ad.

I second that opinion :cool: . I have the same gpa, applied in November but with a little better DAT scores. I think the most important thing other than doing good at the interview, is to have a lot of dental experince.

-Punit-

Wow.... the thoughts here echo that in the medical profession.... Anyway...

Punit.... I'm not sure if you're aware but in my language, your name means to "to tear" (e.g. to tear a piece of paper)... No offense, just wanted to let you know.... Okie dokie :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Tagalog right? So I've been told. In my language it means pure.

BUMP!!

For all the current nail-biters. I'm going WAY back (really really bored:D ) and digging up some posts that might give you encouragement....this one put my mind at ease a little bit last year.

thanks guys...this is my 2nd time applying...i take your advice w/a grain of salt because when I first applied I had a 3.0, 18 dat, and go no interviews (applied to 15 schools)....anyways....since I've taken some postbacc classes (3.3) and taking the DAT next month....I hope to kick some butt this time!!! :) Thanks for the support guys!!! :) I'm gonna have to post a dat question in the other thread....Its kinda stunned me :confused:

I definitely think that there are always exceptions to every rule. But I really think what helps people with lower gpas like me is to apply early and do well on the DAT. Having good stats is what usually gets you in the front door. The interview is when you make yourself stand out. Dental experience is a must for everyone, even those with a 4.0 gpa!
I applied early and interviewed at most of the schools that I applied to. Good luck to everyone applying this year!

UTHSC-Houston Dental Branch
Class of 2006