To anyone at LIJ/North Shore living in city

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ihearttimgunn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is the commute, really and truly? Is it really only a 25-30 minute commute each way? Even going back to Manhattan in the evening? What about post call?

Members don't see this ad.

Driving, train or sneaking a ride on the NYU shuttle? I don't know about NSUH to the city but I commuted for 6 weeks (cushy OB rotation) from Brooklyn to NSUH and it was a pretty decent commute. Probably took me 45-50 minutes door-to-door by car.

I did drive into the city several times via the Queens-Midtown Tunnel and it was probably 30 min to midtown on a good day. I can imagine that it's 30 min to the city by car or sneaking a ride on the NYU shuttle. At the time I was there, you had to have an NYU ID to get on the bus, a North Shore ID wouldn't cut it. After hours is a different story of course since the shuttle stops running at 5 (NYU students never showed up before 7am and had to leave by 4:45pm b/c of the shuttle).

If you're trying to catch public transportation, count on 2 hours each way...I took the train once and it took almost 90 minutes just to get to Grand Central.

Are you serious? :eek: How is it that much longer commuting from Brooklyn than from midtown? When I visited the residents made it seem like it was very common to drive from the Upper East Side and that it was only half an hour each way. Is that really a feasible option? Is it even possible to have a car on the UES? I feel so... lied to...