To anyone with a neuroscience major/advanced degree:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Officer Farva

Gimme a liter of cola.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it reasonable to claim that you can quantify human behavior with the MMI interview format? I have zero neuroscience background, and something seems fishy.

Members don't see this ad.

No reasonable answer can be given.

Too much depends on the interviewee, the impartiality of the interviewers, the types of questions asked, and numerous other factors.

Reactions: 1 users
You don't need a neuro background to understand biases and how they can affect an interview. The MMI is an attempt to reduce bias.

Is it perfect? No. Reasonable? Yes.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You don't need a neuro background to understand biases and how they can affect an interview. The MMI is an attempt to reduce bias.

Is it perfect? No. Reasonable? Yes.
I see the goals. But come on, it's weird to give someone an empathy score of 6, niceness score of 8, and intelligence score of 9. What is this, creating a character on The Sims???

Reactions: 4 users
I see the goals. But come on, it's weird to give someone an empathy score of 6, niceness score of 8, and intelligence score of 9. What is this, creating a character on The Sims???
Haha. Wish I could have used rosebud;: for unlimited application money

Reactions: 1 users
So you created a new thread to address something that was discussed by you in another thread yesterday

Reactions: 2 users
That's actually not representative of how it's scored

Reactions: 1 user
Take the programming job, Farva. I see multiple failures on the humanistic domains of USMLE coming.

Reactions: 2 users
I am just curious though! And rather skeptical of any "science" they claim is behind it!
They have a rubric of what is looked for. Every school is somewhat different in how they score MMI, so I can't generalize. However, one that I attended gave a total of 20 points per Station. The final score is an average. 10 pts are allocated for the rubric and we were told you essentially start at 5 when you walk in, and either go up or down based on what you say and what aspect the station was designed to assess. Similar for the other 10 pts, but it is a subjective assessment of how well you did or your general likability. So, for instance let's say you totally missed the point but had well organized thoughts and otherwise impressed the interviewer, you won't end up with a zero.

Again..every school is different. The main point of any MMI is that multiple assessments are generally more accurate than a single one.

They have a rubric of what is looked for. Every school is somewhat different in how they score MMI, so I can't generalize. However, one that I attended gave a total of 20 points per Station. The final score is an average. 10 pts are allocated for the rubric and we were told you essentially start at 5 when you walk in, and either go up or down based on what you say and what aspect the station was designed to assess. Similar for the other 10 pts, but it is a subjective assessment of how well you did or your general likability. So, for instance let's say you totally missed the point but had well organized thoughts and otherwise impressed the interviewer, you won't end up with a zero.

Again..every school is different. The main point of any MMI is that multiple assessments are generally more accurate than a single one.
I can only imagine adcom meetings. "Officer Farva has an interview rating of 50". I mean, it sounds pretty weird. Some things in life were never meant to be quantified.

Reactions: 1 user
I can only imagine adcom meetings. "Officer Farva has an interview rating of 50". I mean, it sounds pretty weird. Some things in life were never meant to be quantified.

Unfortunately med schools have no other way to really assess non cognitive attributes. Sure in theory reference letters to some degree. But let's be honest, it'd be unfortunate (for your poor judgement) if you decided to pick someone who dislikes you to write one.

And let's get real about admissions. Everything is quantified to some degree. How else do they decide

After all, aren't you the guy who graded interview lunches

Last edited:
Btw putting these number values and scores to interviews is exactly what most Canadian schools do. You miss the cut off, and you're out.

University of Toronto even uses graded essays.

I don't think it's a problem to the tool's usefulness that it is subjective, erroneous, and biased. It's meant to predict how you'll do in med school, with particularly strong ability to predict your clinical year grading, which is oft complained about for being... subjective, erroneous, and biased.

It might be horribly bad at quantifying the unquantifiable human behavior. But still very important to schools, because of the much more important horribly bad quantifications to come.

Also this is a psych question not neuro!