To apply again at the age of 30

Started by Worried11
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Worried11

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I live in Australia, so the system of entry into graduate medicine is different here (fewer school, no option for DO/ PA or training in the Caribbean). We also have the gamsat which is a wacky sudoko style exam (its awful). Anyway I have sat the exam 6 times already and am wondering if I should do it again. I certainly can, as retaking entrance exams is not frowned upon by unis here, the only problem is that I am getting to old. In my journey to get in, I have aged considerably. Now I'm 30, and I fear being too old to get in. In fact I find myself consumed with jealousy with stories of 22 years old getting in. I know its not helpful to feel this way, but I can't stop it.

I feel like it is too late for me. I'm filled with regret that I didn't start applying sooner.
 
If you really want to be a physician, 30 is definitely not too old. But, if the age thing is really bothering you, you could bank on reincarnation being real and apply the next time you are 22.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you really want to be a physician, 30 is definitely not too old. But, if the age thing is really bothering you, you could bank on reincarnation being real and apply the next time you are 22.

Being 30 in medical school is no big deal, many students at DO schools tend to be in their late 20s, close to the 30, and its not uncommon to meet 30 somethings in medical school, there are even people in their 40s.

I have no idea what the situation is like in your country but in the US, there is no real issue with being a bit older and in medical school.
 
Being 30 is not a big deal. You have to ask yourself if you really want this path, and if you do - don't focus on age. If you don't strive for your dreams you will have regrets.