To aprogramdirector

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

forex

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello-

Let's say.. your program does not give prematch and it is obvious according to NRMP data. If someone asks you about a prematch offer during iv, do you feel offended? Do you have then negative impression on the applicant?

I think it is all right to ask that question if the applicant's profile is very impressive. The problem is that the applicant does not know how competitive he/she is in the pool of candidate. He/she wants to go to that program very much (not because it is university, but location wise).

Better to ask or just wait for the match? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If a program does not offer pre-matches, then I think that asking for one will either make no impression at all, or a negative one. Either the PD will simply say, "sorry, we don't offer prematches, all spots are assigned via the match" and that's it, or they;ll say that and think "Wow, this guy is either clueless / ignorant / didn't do his homework on my program", and then rank you lower.

You can't ask for information about how you will be ranked. Programs are free to offer that information if they wish, but you can't ask for it.

So, overall, if a program does not offer prematches, I wouldn't ask as I think it can only hurt you.

You can't ask for information about how you will be ranked. Programs are free to offer that information if they wish, but you can't ask for it.

Something I did keeps coming back to haunt me. At an interview, the PD said, "with your app, you can go to any program you want to". I was very interested in the program, so without thinking, I fired back, "including yours?". Then he said he couldn't violate the match by answering that question :eek:. I sputtered that I was joking and he said he knew, but it has haunted me that a program that will likely be in my top 3 may think I violated the match rules! :scared: thoughts?

Thank you for your reply. I know a few programs start to offer prematch this year. So the program an applicant wants to go might change its policy this year, and you don't know until you ask. :confused: Just the sake of argument :laugh:

What about writing in the thank you email about interest in prematch offer, if there is any? What do you think?

Something I did keeps coming back to haunt me. At an interview, the PD said, "with your app, you can go to any program you want to". I was very interested in the program, so without thinking, I fired back, "including yours?". Then he said he couldn't violate the match by answering that question :eek:. I sputtered that I was joking and he said he knew, but it has haunted me that a program that will likely be in my top 3 may think I violated the match rules! :scared: thoughts?

I think your response was GREAT. What a riot. You didn't violate any match rules -- the rule is really that you can't try to force someone to rank you differently, i.e. you're not allowed to say "I'll rank you #1 if you guarantee I'll match here". You're fine, and for what it's worth I'd rank you higher for that great answer.

Thank you for your reply. I know a few programs start to offer prematch this year. So the program an applicant wants to go might change its policy this year, and you don't know until you ask. :confused: Just the sake of argument :laugh:

What about writing in the thank you email about interest in prematch offer, if there is any? What do you think?

Ask politely and little harm can happen.

Hahaha! That's certainly high points for spontaniety and good conversation. Honestly, I don't think it's a match violation at all. If anything, I felt it was "flirting with the PD" wink! wink! you coy applicant you...teeheehee! And, well, at least he/she has something to remember you by which is always good come ROL time...

I think your response was GREAT. What a riot. You didn't violate any match rules -- the rule is really that you can't try to force someone to rank you differently, i.e. you're not allowed to say "I'll rank you #1 if you guarantee I'll match here". You're fine, and for what it's worth I'd rank you higher for that great answer.

Thanks, aProgDirector & buckley for the encouragement, I feel much better (it is so easy to obsess, isn't it?). I'm glad my rascal nature was finally able to contribute to a good response. :smuggrin: