to become a resisdent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

montrealrep

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can anyone tell me if it is easy to become a resident of the state your chosen school is in? For instance, i know that in NY you may apply for resident status if you stay there for 12 consecutive months (ie. dont go home for the summer?) has anyone done this?

Members don't see this ad.

montrealrep said:
can anyone tell me if it is easy to become a resident of the state your chosen school is in? For instance, i know that in NY you may apply for resident status if you stay there for 12 consecutive months (ie. dont go home for the summer?) has anyone done this?

Your username leads me to think you are Canadian - are you?

From the research I have done, most states require you to live there for 12 consecutive months with a non PO Box address, register to vote, maintain a full-time job and not be a full-time student. So basically, if you take a year off and work in the state you want to go to school then you can become a resident of that state. But if you are trying to attain residency while in school, it is very unlikely. Most schools will give you resident status after a year of you going there, but it is very rare they will change your residency status after you've been admitted. If you go to a public school sometimes they will make you a resident for tuition purposes, which allows you to pay in state fees, but you are not a true resident.

Members don't see this ad :)
S_SEEN2020 said:
From the research I have done, most states require you to live there for 12 consecutive months with a non PO Box address, register to vote, maintain a full-time job and not be a full-time student. So basically, if you take a year off and work in the state you want to go to school then you can become a resident of that state. But if you are trying to attain residency while in school, it is very unlikely. Most schools will give you resident status after a year of you going there, but it is very rare they will change your residency status after you've been admitted. If you go to a public school sometimes they will make you a resident for tuition purposes, which allows you to pay in state fees, but you are not a true resident.

Hence my question.

S_SEEN2020 said:
Most schools will give you resident status after a year of you going there, but it is very rare they will change your residency status after you've been admitted.
SUNY is one of the schools that will change your residency status while you're enrolled there. (This only applies to U.S. citizens, of course.)

Hi, I was wondering which other schools would change your residency status after 1 year. Thanks

phuongle2 said:
Hi, I was wondering which other schools would change your residency status after 1 year. Thanks

UCBSO.

Again, you would need a non-P.O. Box address, register to vote, change car registration, and may be even close all bank accounts opened in a different state. My classmate had to close her bank accounts she opened in Illinois and opened new bank accounts in California as a requirement. She also saved all copies of her utility bills the first year.