To biochem or not to biochem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

velodork

luctor et emergo
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a non trad and I've been chipping away at pre-requisites and other UG coursework for a long time now. I finished with all of my UG courses and pre-reqs last month and moved back to a full time schedule at work (Hospital) the very next day.

I'm relishing the idea of only having to worry about working and spending time with family until I (hopefully) start medical school next year. I don't have the strongest stats (~3.5cGPA/~3.3sGPA/503-505) but I do have a lot of other stuff (I think?) going for my application.

I have an opportunity to to take a Biochemistry class on Saturdays at a local CC for the Fall 2016 semester. I'd love to hear some positives/negatives from you guys and gals about whether or not I should go for it! I guess I'm having a hard time analyzing how practical it will be in terms of supplementing my application and potentially helping me manage the proverbial "fire hydrant" after matriculating... TYIA!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a non trad and I've been chipping away at pre-requisites and other UG coursework for a long time now. I finished with all of my UG courses and pre-reqs last month and moved back to a full time schedule at work (Hospital) the very next day.

I'm relishing the idea of only having to worry about working and spending time with family until I (hopefully) start medical school next year. I don't have the strongest stats (~3.5cGPA/~3.3sGPA/503-505) but I do have a lot of other stuff (I think?) going for my application.

I have an opportunity to to take a Biochemistry class on Saturdays at a local CC for the Fall 2016 semester. I'd love to hear some positives/negatives from you guys and gals about whether or not I should go for it! I guess I'm having a hard time analyzing how practical it will be in terms of supplementing my application and potentially helping me manage the proverbial "fire hydrant" after matriculating... TYIA!

Biochem is a great course to have under your belt. I know that a fair share of DO programs highly suggest or even require having biochem as a prereq.

I think Biochem is going to help you a long way since its a course students sort of take at all medical schools MD and DO apparently.
The new MCAT has alot of biochem and I wish I took it so I could perform better.

Members don't see this ad :)
All schools recommend taking Biochem.
I am not sure where you want to apply.
The schools that require it are
ARCOM
DMU
PCOM-GA
PCOM
KCU
LUCOM* (Biochem or Cell)
MUCOM
MSU