To buy or not to buy...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxgal8

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys buy all the required textbooks?

I have been for the last few semesters and end up not even opening or barely reading a page of a book that may have cost $20-$140. What a waste! But then I still end up buying all the textbooks "just in case" I might need them. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

rxgal8 said:
Do you guys buy all the required textbooks?

I have been for the last few semesters and end up not even opening or barely reading a page of a book that may have cost $20-$140. What a waste! But then I still end up buying all the textbooks "just in case" I might need them. :smuggrin:

I bought Koda/Kimble and DiPiro... That's all you really need.

ZpackSux said:
I bought Koda/Kimble and DiPiro... That's all you really need.

haha DiPiro is the dean of my school. I wish we could get his book for free.

Members don't see this ad :)
whattt....I was finally going to put my foot down and not buy any books next semester. Dipiro is one of the required texts (next semester) and I figured that since it's on reserve in the library, I shouldn't have to buy it. Did you guys really use it for studying at home? Besides, it's not a copy that you'll keep forever to use when you're working/on rotations since it keeps getting updated with new editions, right?

Kawen said:
haha DiPiro is the dean of my school. I wish we could get his book for free.
lol...you could probably get it autographed for free :laugh:
(not that you'd want to)

I don't know that it's the same for pharm as it is in undergrad, but every semester I find myself wishing I hadn't bought a few of my books. My Microbiology, for example... I haven't cracked it once, and had to buy a brand new copy. I always tell myself that I'm going to wait until 2 weeks into the semester to buy my books, but then I think "oh no, what if they sell out and I wind up with assigned homework???" and go spend way too much money. Best bet is to talk to the people in the class ahead of you and ask what books they never actually opened, then don't buy them... if it turns out you need them later, there's always eBay / Amazon / Yahoo! Auctions / Barnes & Noble Online / any other book supplier you can think of. Shipping will stink since it'll be heavy, but over the years you'll probably wind up saving money even if it costs you more one year.

Caverject said:
Get it quick while he is there! He is leaving soon for cock country!

cock country as in USC? Well, not exactly. We are merging schools (MUSC and USC- they're not affiliated right now) and he wil be the dean of the newly named South Carolina School of Pharmacy...he starts in May officially but he is already here. Btw, I hate the gamecocks. I'm a Clemson alum. GO TIGERS.

edit: i see that you are in savannah- i worked at Candler Hospital for like 4 years as a tech when i was in high school..my parents still live on hilton head and commute to work in the SAV

Kawen said:
cock country as in USC? Well, not exactly. We are merging schools (MUSC and USC- they're not affiliated right now) and he wil be the dean of the newly named South Carolina School of Pharmacy...he starts in May officially but he is already here. Btw, I hate the gamecocks. I'm a Clemson alum. GO TIGERS.

edit: i see that you are in savannah- i worked at Candler Hospital for like 4 years as a tech when i was in high school..my parents still live on hilton head and commute to work in the SAV
yes...cock country as in USC....I didn't realize DiPiro left Georgia already.

Guess what!? I hate the tigers cause I am a Miami Hurricane! :) Go ACC!

I will be having a rotation at Candler more than likely in October.

DiPiro: $154.95
Katzung: $45.95

Now that only leaves one more required text to buy for next semester. I might as well get it. :rolleyes:

Caverject said:
Guess what!? I hate the tigers cause I am a Miami Hurricane! :) Go ACC!

Haha, yes, go ACC. Sorry we beat you this past year in football :p

I will be having a rotation at Candler more than likely in October.

The people there are wonderful (for the most part). Will it be a hospital rotation or a clinical rotation?