To defer or to not defer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ilovevegetablez

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! Having a bit on a conundrum. I am so so happy and grateful to have been accepted into medical school this year, and also given a seat at another school to begin next year. Truthfully, I would much prefer to attend the other school. I think location wise it makes much more sense for my partner and I as far as housing and him finding a job. The other school is still very reputable and certainly a good program, but I just don’t know if it’s the best option for me at this moment. Is it completely idiotic to consider deferring for a year, rather than taking a spot at the school I have an A at this cycle? I know it sounds crazy but I just have a gut feeling about the whole thing

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You would be missing out on a year’s worth of physician salary over a place you’d be for 4 years before moving for residency.

Reactions: 1 user
It sounds like you know what you want to do. There’s nothing wrong with deferring. It’s perfectly reasonable to choose a school for lifestyle factors such as location. 4 years is a decent chunk of time. It’s fine to make sure you and your partner are comfortable. Also depending on which schools we’re talking about, you might be more likely to match regionally. So you might be picking a spot for the next 7 years not just the next 4.

There are obvious advantages to matriculating ASAP but it’s not wrong to defer to get yourself set up the way you want. What makes you prefer the school where you have the deferred acceptance over the one where you have a regular acceptance?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all! Having a bit on a conundrum. I am so so happy and grateful to have been accepted into medical school this year, and also given a seat at another school to begin next year. Truthfully, I would much prefer to attend the other school. I think location wise it makes much more sense for my partner and I as far as housing and him finding a job. The other school is still very reputable and certainly a good program, but I just don’t know if it’s the best option for me at this moment. Is it completely idiotic to consider deferring for a year, rather than taking a spot at the school I have an A at this cycle? I know it sounds crazy but I just have a gut feeling about the whole thing
You could think of it more like: I have 2 acceptances, which one works out better for me and my partner?
If it really is the school where you will start next year, there is no need to feel guilty. It's no different that choosing between 2 schools right now.
Be absolutely sure that the "next year" place is a full offer of admission. You can do this by speaking with them and reading every communication they send you word by word.

Reactions: 1 users
crisis averted guys, I was just offered admission at the school that I had the spot at next year! thank you all for your feedback! It really did ease a lot of my concerns

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.