To DO or not to DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indymed

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering about DOs getting good residencies, especially out west? Is there any info on this? In general, does anyone know if DOs are at a really severe disadvantage(Pushed around by big bad MDs, get their lunch stolen, never get picked first for kick ball)? Just basic info for someone considering this path. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Couple things

1) Competitive residencies will be hard to get regardless of which school you go to. A mediocre MD student is not going to get a derm residency. Granted it will be slightly harder for a DO student to get a MD residency. Just remember that no matter where you go, you will not be guaranteed a residency. Put in the work and you will be rewarded.

2) If you think being a doc (MD or DO) is an instant ticket to respect and adulation then think again. Ask any physician and they'll tell you about the politics and bureaucracy inside the hospital. Being a doc (even an especially good one) does not mean that all your pears will respect you. Oh and your description of someone stealing your kick ball what not, that is basically what you'll deal with as a resident.

Getting a good residency has a lot to do with doing a rotation through the program you want to get into. You gotta prove to them that you'd fit in nicely at their program. This, of course, is easier said than done because there are often other just as motivated and talented candidates as yourself. The fact that you are a DO will be pretty irrelevant. However, there are some MD programs that are notorious for not taking DO's. Orthopaedics, for example, is extremely competitive among MD's alone, and they won't even look at a DO unless you are something beyond extrordinary, although there may be a few exceptions to this rule that I'm unaware of. The problem is compouned by that fact that there are very few DO ortho programs, so the competition continues.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lets say you don't want to be a Dermatologist or Orthopedic surgeon but would be happy as an:

Emergency Med Doc
Obstetrician
Anesthesiologist
Internal Medicine Doc
Psychiatrist

Then you can get a great residency at a great allopathic hospital if you are a good student and get good board scores.

You could still be a dermatologist or Ortho surgeon if you have the scores.

Do a SDN Search for NYCOM's 2003 match list. That should answer any of your questions about getting good residencies. If for any reason you can not find it, or the search button is not working, write back here and I'll post it for you.

My school placed a guy into Ortho at Mayo (Rodchester) last year. I hear that getting placements like that here is'nt that exceptional.