To Doc Samson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drpardha

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am 37 yo Psychiatric Registrar from Australia with past Psych experience in UK too. My Step 1 score is 87 and am taking Step 2 CK in the end of September. My CS results are out on Oct 8. I have good LORs from a clinical director & 2 Consultant Psychiatrists from Oz.

No publications but Audit & some basic research stuff locally. What are my chances for Psychiatry and what advice would you give as a senior stellar member of the forum and also from the experience of serving on the selection committees?

Thx

drpardha

Members don't see this ad.

I'm certainly not a senior stellar forum member like DS, but I'd recommend clerkships and/or observerships in the U.S. within psychiatry, and American LORs.

I'm certainly not a senior stellar forum member like DS, but I'd recommend clerkships and/or observerships in the U.S. within psychiatry, and American LORs.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

This is definitely a question for the forum as a gestalt - I'd agree with Sazi interms of ways to boost your attractiveness to programs. As it stands, if you don't have any red flags (i.e. board failures), I'd say you'd definitely match somewhere - it's just a question of where.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thx Anasazi & Doc Samson,

I have worked as Vice President for a Medical Transcription Company doing outsourced work for US Hospitals for 4 yrs immediately following mygraduation and then went to UK to do Psychiatry and now I am in Oz in Psychiatry.

Does this pose problems?

Also, I am planning CK at the end of Sept, so If I do an observership in say Oct/ Nov & hopefully get atleast one US LOR, would that be worthy?

I have worked as Vice President for a Medical Transcription Company doing outsourced work for US Hospitals for 4 yrs immediately following mygraduation and then went to UK to do Psychiatry and now I am in Oz in Psychiatry.

Does this pose problems?

Also, I am planning CK at the end of Sept, so If I do an observership in say Oct/ Nov & hopefully get atleast one US LOR, would that be worthy?

Like I say, unless you have some significant red flags, it sounds like you'd certainly match somewhere. There are some folks active in US academic psychiatry that trained in Australia/NZ (John Coverdale at Baylor immediately springs to mind), and plenty more that trained in the UK. Pass your boards the first time out (esp CK), and I don't thinkg you'll have a problem.

.... and now I am in Oz in Psychiatry.

Well, on your rank-list, I'd definately put the Behavioral Hospital of the Insane Lolli-Pop Guild as #1.

One observership might be ok. And one letter might be also. I agree with DS. You should match, but it'll depend on where. The quality of programs willing to accept that will vary greatly.

I'll also weigh in here but as "a significantly less steller member of this distinguished forum." I think you application is strong for an IMG except for the years since graduation, which is a big red flag for many programs. Like others have suggested, one way to lessen the effect of this is to do observerships/clerkships/externships in US. Some work in a psychiatry-related research lab may also help. Finally, the personal statement can help you describe your earlier career path and subsequent transition to psychiatry. Apply widely and you should be able to match somewhere.

Good luck!