Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Bit of a long post, so skip if TL.
Need some opinions on my options and how to handle the pickle I'm in. I have a foreign BS and an MS in engineering from a UC (both more than 10 years old). I've been in DIY postbacc mode at a local community college district for a bit now. The district has two CCs. One is fine and I try my best to pick courses there. However, I sometimes have to enroll at the other CC in the district. This other CC's science dept. is a major grade deflator. Yes, I know it sounds strange that a CC can be a grade deflator, but I really believe this is the case.
I have taken 59 credits up to this point with all non-science pre-reqs done and all science pre-reqs done except the OChem series and Biochem. I also plan on taking a Bio III - whether that's evolutionary and ecological Bio or Biostats, I'm not sure yet (some DO schools require 3 semesters of Bio). I will also probably take 3-4 non-science courses to bring total credits up to 90. Since I'm only taking the non-scis to bring total credits to 90, I will take courses such as basket weaving. My planned worst grades are As in the non-scis, a B in Biochem (online), and an A in Bio III.
I'm enrolled in the grade deflating CC for OChem I right now. The instructor is very friendly and teaches real well. His philosophy is to start everyone at sea level (C-level), which is fine, BUT assignments and grading are the issue. With half the semester done, I'm firmly at C-level with a 10% chance of sinking to D-level. I'm not concerned about learning the material for the MCAT - I'll do that. My concern is GPA. My planned worst grade for this course was a B. Current sGPA = 3.87. With a C on this, B on OChem II and Biochem, and an A in Bio III, sGPA = 3.54. cGPA will suffer a bit less, and will end up at 3.7.
Option I - keep the course, risk the 10% chance of a D. It will hurt if I end with the D because I won't be able to apply next June with a D grade on a pre-req (please advise if possible to apply AACOMAS with a D and a "pending" retake.)
Option II - wait to see how I do on the next exam and then drop with a W before the deadline if no good. Apply next June. Take the OChem series and Biochem online.
Option III - drop now and take OChem I, II, Biochem all online AFTER applying next year. Alternatively, start taking OChem I online right now if possible. List remaining as pending and take them online, back to back.
Would like to know your thoughts.
Need some opinions on my options and how to handle the pickle I'm in. I have a foreign BS and an MS in engineering from a UC (both more than 10 years old). I've been in DIY postbacc mode at a local community college district for a bit now. The district has two CCs. One is fine and I try my best to pick courses there. However, I sometimes have to enroll at the other CC in the district. This other CC's science dept. is a major grade deflator. Yes, I know it sounds strange that a CC can be a grade deflator, but I really believe this is the case.
I have taken 59 credits up to this point with all non-science pre-reqs done and all science pre-reqs done except the OChem series and Biochem. I also plan on taking a Bio III - whether that's evolutionary and ecological Bio or Biostats, I'm not sure yet (some DO schools require 3 semesters of Bio). I will also probably take 3-4 non-science courses to bring total credits up to 90. Since I'm only taking the non-scis to bring total credits to 90, I will take courses such as basket weaving. My planned worst grades are As in the non-scis, a B in Biochem (online), and an A in Bio III.
I'm enrolled in the grade deflating CC for OChem I right now. The instructor is very friendly and teaches real well. His philosophy is to start everyone at sea level (C-level), which is fine, BUT assignments and grading are the issue. With half the semester done, I'm firmly at C-level with a 10% chance of sinking to D-level. I'm not concerned about learning the material for the MCAT - I'll do that. My concern is GPA. My planned worst grade for this course was a B. Current sGPA = 3.87. With a C on this, B on OChem II and Biochem, and an A in Bio III, sGPA = 3.54. cGPA will suffer a bit less, and will end up at 3.7.
Option I - keep the course, risk the 10% chance of a D. It will hurt if I end with the D because I won't be able to apply next June with a D grade on a pre-req (please advise if possible to apply AACOMAS with a D and a "pending" retake.)
Option II - wait to see how I do on the next exam and then drop with a W before the deadline if no good. Apply next June. Take the OChem series and Biochem online.
Option III - drop now and take OChem I, II, Biochem all online AFTER applying next year. Alternatively, start taking OChem I online right now if possible. List remaining as pending and take them online, back to back.
Would like to know your thoughts.