To drop or not to drop?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orthomyxo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Without going into the gory details of why I need to drop, I'll just give the bottom line:

I'm only taking 12 credits this semester (all BCPM courses), and I need to drop a 2 credit lab that isn't required for my major. I say "need" because there is essentially no way for me to get better than a C- in it, and I really can't afford something like that right now. If you haven't figured it out yet, doing so will make me a part-time student, in addition to giving me a nice fat W. I can't help but think this will look awful, but IMO so would a my lab grade. So, wise ones of SDN, what should I do? If it matters, I plan to step it up big time next semester with 14 credits of upper level science, in addition to gen eds.

tl;dr - read it you lazy bum :slap:

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm I don't know about this for sure. On the one hand, such a small number of credits does look pretty bad, especially with that W. But a low grade can really hurt you. I'd say it depends on the following:

a) What year are you? If freshman or sophomore, I'd just take the low grade. You can kick it up a notch later and easily make up for it. If you're a junior or senior, take the W if you have no other Ws or just one other.

b) How many Ws have you gotten in the past? If none, take the W. If one and you're a junior or senior, take the W. If one and you're a freshmen or sophomore, take the grade.

The grey area is if you're a freshmen or sophomore with no previous Ws. In that case, you'll have to use your best judgment, but I'd lean toward just taking the grade because you can definitely make up for it later. Helpful at all or just confusing? haha

I'd drop it for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm I don't know about this for sure. On the one hand, such a small number of credits does look pretty bad, especially with that W. But a low grade can really hurt you. I'd say it depends on the following:

a) What year are you? If freshman or sophomore, I'd just take the low grade. You can kick it up a notch later and easily make up for it. If you're a junior or senior, take the W if you have no other Ws or just one other.

b) How many Ws have you gotten in the past? If none, take the W. If one and you're a junior or senior, take the W. If one and you're a freshmen or sophomore, take the grade.

The grey area is if you're a freshmen or sophomore with no previous Ws. In that case, you'll have to use your best judgment, but I'd lean toward just taking the grade because you can definitely make up for it later. Helpful at all or just confusing? haha
I'm a sophomore with no W's. The problem is that I had a pretty rough fall semester and ended up with a less-than-stellar microbio lab grade (bio labs at my school are brutal :mad:), so I'm extremely reluctant to bite the bullet on this one. The lab I want to drop also happens to be a bio lab, so IMO it may look even worse to have two poor performances like that back to back. There's also the issue of making sure I do well in my other classes, specifically orgo II. I got a C in orgo 1 last semester, and I'll surely end up with a similar grade if I stay in this lab. It takes up so much of my time that could be better spent doing other things.

It may also be useful to mention that I'll probably either be taking a gap year, or doing an accelerated masters, which adds on another year of courses. So by the time I'm actually ready to apply, this incidence may be pretty far off.

I'm a sophomore with no W's. The problem is that I had a pretty rough fall semester and ended up with a less-than-stellar microbio lab grade (bio labs at my school are brutal :mad:), so I'm extremely reluctant to bite the bullet on this one. The lab I want to drop also happens to be a bio lab, so IMO it may look even worse to have two poor performances like that back to back. There's also the issue of making sure I do well in my other classes, specifically orgo II. I got a C in orgo 1 last semester, and I'll surely end up with a similar grade if I stay in this lab. It takes up so much of my time that could be better spent doing other things.

It may also be useful to mention that I'll probably either be taking a gap year, or doing an accelerated masters, which adds on another year of courses. So by the time I'm actually ready to apply, this incidence may be pretty far off.

I'd say withdraw. My experience says adcoms don't scrutinize your individual classes so much and are more interested in your overall GPA. They'll glance over your grades, see a C, see a W, might ask you about it, probably won't. As long as you step it up a notch, don't get any more of either and pull a solid GPA, you'll be fine. I doubt they'll even notice how many credits you were taking in a given semester.

I'd say withdraw. My experience says adcoms don't scrutinize your individual classes so much and are more interested in your overall GPA. They'll glance over your grades, see a C, see a W, might ask you about it, probably won't. As long as you step it up a notch, don't get any more of either and pull a solid GPA, you'll be fine. I doubt they'll even notice how many credits you were taking in a given semester.

right on.

Will being a part time student this semester effect your student aid, or scholarship funds? I know at some schools this can be an issue and is worth thinking of before you drop it.

I wouldn't put it past some schools to notice you dropped below 12 units. I know many schools noticed some of my 24+ unit semesters.

1) If its a lab class my understanding is that It is only worth a couple credits right? So this has less of an effect on your GPA than Ochem

2) Is there really no way you can manage to pull a B? Meet with the lab TA, find a tutor. Do everything you can to either make up assignments do better on future ones

3) Your a sophomore. Take this time now to develop some new study strategies and time management skills to rock this semester.

I'd stick it out and go for a B. Falling below half time and not getting a 4.0 can look pretty weak unless you also have a job.

Will being a part time student this semester effect your student aid, or scholarship funds? I know at some schools this can be an issue and is worth thinking of before you drop it.

As far as I can tell, my student aid won't be affected. The bulk of my aid comes from federal loans which only require you to be enrolled half-time (6 credits). I do have a scholarship but the description doesn't say anything about having to be enrolled full time to receive its benefits. It will simple be prorated to account for the fact that I'll be enrolled part-time.

I wouldn't put it past some schools to notice you dropped below 12 units. I know many schools noticed some of my 24+ unit semesters.

1) If its a lab class my understanding is that It is only worth a couple credits right? So this has less of an effect on your GPA than Ochem

The lab is 2 credits, orgo is 3.

2) Is there really no way you can manage to pull a B? Meet with the lab TA, find a tutor. Do everything you can to either make up assignments do better on future ones

I'm almost certain that it's impossible for me to get anything higher than a C at this point. The absolute only way I can hope for an OK grade is to basically get a 100 on the remaining lab reports, and there aren't many left. Also, the withdraw date is this Monday 4/4, so I don't have any more time to test the water.

3) Your a sophomore. Take this time now to develop some new study strategies and time management skills to rock this semester.

I'd stick it out and go for a B. Falling below half time and not getting a 4.0 can look pretty weak unless you also have a job.
I'm basically screwed either way. I guess the question is which option makes me less screwed.

Without going into the gory details of why I need to drop, I'll just give the bottom line:

I'm only taking 12 credits this semester (all BCPM courses), and I need to drop a 2 credit lab that isn't required for my major. I say "need" because there is essentially no way for me to get better than a C- in it, and I really can't afford something like that right now. If you haven't figured it out yet, doing so will make me a part-time student, in addition to giving me a nice fat W. I can't help but think this will look awful, but IMO so would a my lab grade. So, wise ones of SDN, what should I do? If it matters, I plan to step it up big time next semester with 14 credits of upper level science, in addition to gen eds.

tl;dr - read it you lazy bum :slap:

don't worry just drop it...i would, one W won't matter. I wouldn't care one bit. Obviously better then getting the C...

don't worry just drop it...i would, one W won't matter. I wouldn't care one bit. Obviously better then getting the C...
I'm not worried about the W at all. It's just that dropping below full-time status really doesn't sit well with me. God this sucks :bang:

Bumping for the last time...need to make a decision today!!

I'd drop, agree with a lot of the sentiment here. numbers are king, in the grand scheme of things one light semester won't be scrutinized as much whereas overall GPA is king and a C- will stick out