To every student who is losing hope...please read

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dukee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am writing this story because I want you guys to know things happen sometimes for a reason and people do get in that do not have all the right numbers. I went to Duke in 1997 and became pre-med during my freshmen year. I took the mcat during my sophomore summer after finishing all my requirements and got a V6, P9, B9 and an O. I did not do well. I retook it during my junior summer and got a V7, 10B, 11P and a S. My father was diagnosed with ALL (acute leukemia during my junior year!). This was a blow to me, but I stayed in school. I applied during my senior year and got one interview (Duke) and rejected. My GPA was 3.85 Non science, 3.75 overall, and 3.7 science. I was advised to retake the mcat AGAIN and not only apply to CA schools and only top schools. I did not agree with the mcat advice but went through it again last summer and applied again this year. I got a v6, B10, P11 and a R. I applied with a 3.74 overall, a 3.66 science, and 3.85. I got four interviews (Duke in october, penn state, and McP, GW). I was rejected by Duke, and on all other waitlists. I just got into MCp after writing a update letter a day after I got the letter. Meanwhile my father relapsed, was transfeered to UCSF for the re-induction treatment, went through an allogenic bone marrow transplant, and relapsed again! But, I got in! I had to live in the hospital at UCSF for almost four months, but it worked out, so things do happen for a reason. If I had gotton in during my senior year, I would not have been able to help my father now, and not been able to learn more about things outside of school. Anyway, good luck to all...take a year off if you have to, the mcat is not everything, and sometimes grades really do not matter...

Members don't see this ad.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by dukee:
•...but it worked out, so things do happen for a reason. If I had gotton in during my senior year, I would not have been able to help my father now, and not been able to learn more about things outside of school...•••••I am very sorry about your Father dukee, and my sincerest prayers go to his health. Thank you for sharing your story.

And I agree with you that things do happen for a reason. However unfair it might seem at the time. :rolleyes:

Best of luck, and God bless.

I really hope that more people had Dukees perspective on life.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad too. Keep on keeping on.

Congrats! on your acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oops, I didn't mean to post my last reply with a smiley face message icon. I don't know how that happened. I must have clicked it inadvertently.
Sorry!

Hi Dukee,

Thanks for sharing a touching story. As a fellow Blue Devil and Californian and my grandfather passed away when I was at Duke, I hope everything turns out well with your father. Things do work out at the end. Just keep at it and don't lose faith.

Z.