To get into med school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CTH3989

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it matter what undergraduate school you go to? If I go to a uiversity that is highly recommended and then go to med school will it have more of an affect on my life than if I go to a university in my hometown that is not as highly thought of? As long as I take the required courses to get into med school that's all that counts right? I was just wondering.

Chelci

Members don't see this ad.

Go to a cheap school where you will be happy. Your grades matter far more than your pedigree.

Thank you for your reply. You have made it a lot easier to choose colleges now.

Chelci

Members don't see this ad :)
CTH3989 said:
Thank you for your reply. You have made it a lot easier to choose colleges now.

Chelci

Depends on where you want to end up. If you want to go to a top med school, then you need to go to a competitive college. If you just want to get into a state med school...then good grades are fine. Also, if you want to do a very competitive specialty, a top med school will really help your chances...so you would need a competitive college to get into the top med school to get into the competitive field. So, if you know where you're headed, it will be easier for you to make this decision.

I want to be an OB/GYN, so what would be the best college to go to in order to get into a good medical school? Also, what do you guys think about Emory Medical School?

Thank you,
Chelci

*Bump* I never got an answer for this.

Chelci

CTH3989 said:
*Bump* I never got an answer for this.

Chelci

Ob/gyn isn't very competitive.

Go to the undergrad school where you will be happiest because you will likely excell there. You have a long time to decide which medical school to go to, but it sort of follows the same principles. You should try to do your best at every level of your education so that you can keep the largest number of options open. It may be that you don't end up wanting to go into ob/gyn but rather ENT, which is very competitive. You don't need to worry about most of this right now, just focus on college.

Wednesday said:
Ob/gyn isn't very competitive.

are you sure? the word aroudn my school is quite the opposite. :confused:

Yes I'm sure. But I'm talking about competitive to match into. Is that what you're talking about? Of course it depends on the program you're trying for, but in general it isn't considered difficult to get an ob/gyn spot.

What school do you attend? Maybe everyone there wants to do ob/gyn?

Thanks for the reply. What medical school do you guys go to and what undergrad school did you go to?

Chelci

CTH3989 said:
Thanks for the reply. What medical school do you guys go to and what undergrad school did you go to?
Chelci
chelci, you need to relax and grow up patiently.

Agreed. Go to an undergrad that makes you happy and do well, but enjoy it. Most importantly, keep an open mind. You might end up loving history, or math, or decide to be an engineer. Don't limit yourself! It is excellent of you to plan, but it also might restrict you in the long run. I went to an average state school for undergrad, had plenty of fun but still did well, and got into a good med school. Most third year med students still don't know what residency they want to pursue, so don't sweat it!! I say do what makes you happy, try to do it well, and enjoy life :) Good luck.

DrBuzzLightYear said:
chelci, you need to relax and grow up patiently.

Excuse me if I wanted to get a head start on the rest of my life. This is what I want to do and it would be nice to find out more about it and what it's going to take for me to succeed in that career. But I thank you for your wonderful advice. :mad:

Chelci

lmh14 said:
Agreed. Go to an undergrad that makes you happy and do well, but enjoy it. Most importantly, keep an open mind. You might end up loving history, or math, or decide to be an engineer. Don't limit yourself! It is excellent of you to plan, but it also might restrict you in the long run. I went to an average state school for undergrad, had plenty of fun but still did well, and got into a good med school. Most third year med students still don't know what residency they want to pursue, so don't sweat it!! I say do what makes you happy, try to do it well, and enjoy life :) Good luck.

Thank you for that. I do know that I want to be an ob/gyn and I want to specialize in MFM. I don't think that is going to change. I will be sure to take your advice though.

Chelci

Here's what you need to do...get a minimum of a 4.0 GPA, at least a 35 on your MCAT, and try to save an African village along with saving some Bosnian refugees. If you do all that and find time to have fun...then you'll be in good shape. I mean really...what premed wanted to "actually" have a social life in college?

Seriously: Put away the gun...there are plenty of those in medschool. Take it out once you get in. Enjoy college, it's actually a lot of fun and you can EVEN make good grades!!!! HOW ABOUT THAT?

CTH3989 said:
Excuse me if I wanted to get a head start on the rest of my life. This is what I want to do and it would be nice to find out more about it and what it's going to take for me to succeed in that career. But I thank you for your wonderful advice. :mad:

Chelci

I went to my hometown university. It actually was a topic brought up at nearly every interview for med school I went on. Only once was it brought up in a way I perceived to be negative... "I've never interviewed anyone before who went to a junior college!". Get good grades. Get to know the premed advisor at the school of your choice. They will be the one to coordinate where your letters of recomendation come from. I go to a state school, but it really didn't make a difference, we've got people in our class from Ivy league, some from big state schools, and some of us from small, not-big name schools. I was the only student from my undergrad school at any of the interviews I went to. Enjoy your college time - you'll learn a lot about yourself that will make you a better doctor...or engineer, scientist, musician - whatever!