To Great Pumkin!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
H

H2Oasis

Hi there,
New in this forum and love pathology. I've already applied for 20 programs and waiting for response. I don't have so much experiences as the other candidates have. seems that this year will be so much competetive, eh? I found that you were helping others, kindly!. Just wanted to thank you and god bless you.wish me luck.:D

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck for sure.

Even though I think it will be more competitive it still should not be all that competitive when you compare it to specialties like Rads, Anest. etc... I still expect about 30-40% of the positions will be filled with non US grads. You applied to plenty of places it sounds like. Which is a good idea in most cases. The people who will end up with trouble matching will be the folks that only apply to top tier schools or only Cali schools. Backups are always a good idea, because the scramble would suck.

PS

I will be gone on vacation next week so if anyone asks me a question or sends me mail I will catch up next weekend. I am going to the Outter Banks of NC to do some fishing and jeepin :clap:

Hello again, How was your "Jeeping"?;)
I have a question for you. Is there any subspeciality in pathology called " Endocrine Pathology"or it's simply "Surgical Pathology" with more concentration on Endocrinology? How about "GI Pathology"? Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've just started to hear from programs and I got a couple of surprises. I don't have a whole mess of experience but applied to a couple of "name" places just for kicks. The funny thing is that they are the only ones I've really heard anything from. I only sent out my stuff a week ago so its early yet, my application isn't even complete (LORs are not in).

I have to say that I am the cause of some panic in this forum.(I go to the same school as Mindy who is also a source of panic. I'm actually the person who caused Mindy this anxiety and its spread to the forum) Our school has had a huge increase in interest this year but it is limited to a demographically unique group of individuals that actually constitute 3 separate entering classes that happen to be graduating at the same time for a variety of reasons. This makes up for the 0-1 graduates per year for several years who have (or have not) entered pathology. The chairman in our program mentioned that other programs have said that they have not experienced quite the same quantum leap that we have here.
I'm sure that there has been an overall increase in interest but I think we'll all be OK. Deep breath in and good luck on interviews!

H2Oasis

You know I do not know about endocrine path, may be a subspecialty and there are certainly people who make this thier area of interest and research. But, I doubt there are enough specimens in a private office to warrent someone who only looks at endocrine. It would likely have to be academic work. But, GI path is a subspecialty for sure. And, would be a great one for career opportunities in private practice or academic.

Minty Monk:

I am a panic source? Just because I am checking my e-mails at about 30 hertz and telling everyone that I am unloved by programs across the board and that if each US medical school has six (yes folks we have *6*) applicants to pathology, then we double the number of positions per applicant (for an astounding 50% unmatched rate), does not mean I am a panic source!

...Does it?

With love as always,

Mindy

You are in Panic mode it will not be anything like that I don't believe. Probably still will not have enough US applicants to fill all the positions. I will be able to tell you more later as we get most of the applications in.

OK, now my paranoia is increasing. Everyone knew my last post was just poking fun at myself, right? :laugh:

I became unsure after I got 3 phone calls from Scope asking if I was po'ed!!!

Sorry gang, I forget how poorly sarcasm translates to print sometimes.

Mindy

Dear GP,
What could be the best answer for CP's attending question:
" Why do you choose both AP/CP? why you are interested in CP?" I know a little bit about CP but I have no experience in CP. Thank you for your time.:)

I am new to this forum, actually I am new to this website. Reading over previous postings, I thought I would add in my two cents.

I attend a well regarded US medical school. In this years graduating class of 170 there are only 2 people (including me) applying for pathology residency.

I decided to apply to about 15 programs and did not submit my application until October. Some programs were very quick to reply, some others have yet to indicate they even received my application.

I guess my point is that not every medical school has 6 people applying for pathology. So, there is probably no need to get worried yet.

Hey container!

Welcome to our forum BTW. And your input regarding the number of pathologist-to-be's at your school is useful... Did you note the post declaring *9* path applicants out of Wisconsin? I s'pose Minty Monkey and I are in an anomalous institution too!

Just an update, my panic has indeed died down now that we are farther in time from button pressing. (Is that the general vibe across the board?)

Mindy