To other present and former MSTP students.

Started by mjs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mjs

Millionaire, Superhero
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Happy first day of the summer season,

Premeds: sorry for cluttering up your space, but this is for the other alumni of the application process.

Fellow smarmy, know-it-all survivors: listen up.

Last summer I rotated in a lab that was just relocating to our campus and the experience was very rewarding. I'm pretty confidant that I could earn a whipping-ripping PhD in this lab. One of the program directors has said I should just go with this and do rotations to build up a stronger background in a couple area that the projects in this lab are geared towards. Another recommended I treat this previous experience as the one to beat and go after some more sexy opportunities.

Now of course, the appeal of the latter is obvious: the chance to find another rockin' lab, do a real, honest-to-jimminy rotation project and possibly become entranced with a new lab's work. But do you know of anyone who has done the former to some degree of success? Do you have any advice about it?

Also, I know the date is late, but bear in mind that my quarter is not yet over Furthermore, I have been meeting with faculty that fall into these two groups already and I daresay that I have the list whittled down to two options- one in each camp. So if you have any warnings about doing a rotation simply to build a skill set, shout them out. Also I should say that the potential skill-building mentor is cool with exactly that: he's not ready for more grad students because he's got a leave coming up in two years.

Hope everyone's summer has started off nicely and enjoy wearin' those white shoes.

Vitamin M

PS I think the newly appeared logo 'neath my name is shamefully, shamefully dorky. Note that I did not say "nerdy" because sometiems nerdy can be cool. That li'l icon's just straight up dumb. How do I kill it?