To Pharmtech or no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AFEvent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently applied to Walgreens to be a pharmacy tech.

I have no experience and currently work at a coffee shop where I have seniority over hours. I never have to work holidays and basically get to pick which weekends I work.

At Walgreens I have to work mandatory 2 winter holidays and do not get to choose my hours. (Which I understand is normal) They also told me that I will wind up being a cross person, meaning that I will work on the floor and in the pharmacy depending on who needs me.

So, my question is... is it worth it to take the job? It seems like it will definitely be a step down for me, but I know it will boost my resume. I currently have a 3.737 GPA and will take the PCAT in October. I have ~20 hours of shadowing, am in 4 clubs with 1 leadership position, and 2 honors societies. I'm not applying until Fall 2015. Will being a Pharmacy Tech at Walgreens boost my application that much?

Members don't see this ad.

I recently applied to Walgreens to be a pharmacy tech.

I have no experience and currently work at a coffee shop where I have seniority over hours. I never have to work holidays and basically get to pick which weekends I work.

At Walgreens I have to work mandatory 2 winter holidays and do not get to choose my hours. (Which I understand is normal) They also told me that I will wind up being a cross person, meaning that I will work on the floor and in the pharmacy depending on who needs me.

So, my question is... is it worth it to take the job? It seems like it will definitely be a step down for me, but I know it will boost my resume. I currently have a 3.737 GPA and will take the PCAT in October. I have ~20 hours of shadowing, am in 4 clubs with 1 leadership position, and 2 honors societies. I'm not applying until Fall 2015. Will being a Pharmacy Tech at Walgreens boost my application that much?

In general, people can get accepted without pharmacy experience. But yes pharmacy will boost your chance of being accepted.

If pharmacy is really your interest, start working as a tech and take that opportunity to learn as much as you can about pharmacy. That will be an invaluable experience for you. Unless you plan on working at that coffee shop for a very long time, I would take advantage of that pharm tech opportunity. GL :)

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't even bother. You'll be applying this cycle, and you'll have what? ... 2-3 months max of PharmTech "experience"? Not worth it for the hassle, and plus working during holidays are painful. If you can pick and choose, stay with what you have ... Just focus on the PCAT before making any routine changing decisions so close to the exam.... and move on to some shadowing to strengthen your app.