To reapply now or to wait a year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoveDocMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied for the 2016-2017 cycle and have been wait listed at an MD school and a DO school. I've pretty much disregarded the DO school (I'm primarily shooting for MD) and have pouring my all into the MD school with updates and phone calls. My backup plan is to fall back onto an SMP program, and I have been accepted to BU and Georgetown.

My question to you all is whether or not I should apply to AMCAS this 2017-2018 cycle or to wait a year?

What my app would look like:

ugrad GPA: 3.47
MCAT: bio:130 chem/phys:130 cars: 126 psych/soc: 126

These are my post-2016 AMCAS activities:
Homeless Mobile Clinic EMT: 50 hrs
Lecturer for underserved High schools : 40 hrs
Pediatric Hospice Volunteer: 30 hrs
Clinical Research Assistant/Patient sample gatherer (full-time job): 480 hrs

Pre-2016 AMCAS activities:
Homeless Mobile Clinic Outreach Scribe: 30 hrs
MD Shadowing: 230 hrs
Hospital volunteering: 250 hrs
Homeless Outreach Tutor: 50 hrs
Tutor (General Chemistry/Physics, High School math/spanish, elementary school math: 300 hrs

I learned a lot about making a strong application during this cycle, but unfortunately it was a process that happened over time. This might have been the reason why I didn't get much love from schools this cycle.

But given these stats, do you guys think I should reapply this 2017-2018 cycle before my SMP and update medical schools with my fall semester grades or reapply 2018-2019 after my SMP? Thanks y'all

If applying this year, can/should I use the same Letters of recommendation? I do not have any new ones.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say get more volunteer hours. Your MCAT Is fine. Your GPA only needs a little bit of a boost so maybe take a couple classes here and there in the sciences during the gap year at a local college or at a state school nearby.

I would say get more volunteer hours. Your MCAT Is fine. Your GPA only needs a little bit of a boost so maybe take a couple classes here and there in the sciences during the gap year at a local college or at a state school nearby.

I have about 180 units of classes from ugrad. I'm not sure if a few classes will change my GPA that much. I saw my GPA go from 3.44 to 3.47 with a 14 unit, 3.82 quarter. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have about 180 units of classes from ugrad. I'm not sure if a few classes will change my GPA that much. I saw my GPA go from 3.44 to 3.47 with a 14 unit, 3.82 quarter. What do you think?
250 clinical volunteer hours is plenty. Totaled, OP has >300 non clinical volunteering, which is above average. OP's GPA is below the 25th percentile for MD accepted students. This is most likely what is holding you back. Although, I would be interested in you sGPA and school list. With your current GPA you should really only apply to low tier MD schools, DO schools, and state schools. If you're sold on MD, I would do the SMP and ace it - then apply in the following cycle. Just my 2c good luck friend.

I know a lot of people who were accepted with a 3.55 gpa. I'm not sure how much an SMP will help you especially since your MCAT Is great and SMPs are super costly. Do you have a school list? I only say volunteer more so you can improve your app before next cycle and show changes since they'll ask for that.

If I can just put my 2 cents......maybe its interviewing skills? Most DO schools would jump to have those stats come into their school, maybe you came off the wrong way at the interviews....unintentionally of course

If I can just put my 2 cents......maybe its interviewing skills? Most DO schools would jump to have those stats come into their school, maybe you came off the wrong way at the interviews....unintentionally of course

Maybe but sense OP only applied to one DO school it doesn't strike me as his/her main issue. If you apply broadly to DO schools your chances are good.

You will need a combination of improved GPA and exceptional service record to have a high chance of success at MD schools. Right now your volunteering seems acceptable but nothing that makes you stand out among other competitive applicants. Due to the fact your GPA is low for successful applicants I would suggest on both improving it and gaining valuable life life experience through service if you are set on a MD school.

250 clinical volunteer hours is plenty. Totaled, OP has >300 non clinical volunteering, which is above average. OP's GPA is below the 25th percentile for MD accepted students. This is most likely what is holding you back. Although, I would be interested in you sGPA and school list. With your current GPA you should really only apply to low tier MD schools, DO schools, and state schools. If you're sold on MD, I would do the SMP and ace it - then apply in the following cycle. Just my 2c good luck friend.

Thank you for the response. I totally agree that my GPA is the only thing holding me back. I believe they say that these schools look at my application holistically, and because I do not have any extraordinary research or service experience, I believe the best way is to demonstrate my academic potential through my GPA.

My new list would look a little something like this:

Creighton

Drexel

Georgetown

Jefferson Medical College

Penn State

Temple

Tulane

UC Davis

UC Irvine

UC Riverside

USF Morsani

University of Florida

Loyola Chicago

Loma Linda

NYMC

Rush

Rosalind Franklin

University of Arizona

Nevada School of Medicine (Reno)

Arizona College of Medicine

Tufts

Buffalo

I know a lot of people who were accepted with a 3.55 gpa. I'm not sure how much an SMP will help you especially since your MCAT Is great and SMPs are super costly. Do you have a school list? I only say volunteer more so you can improve your app before next cycle and show changes since they'll ask for that.

What made those 3.55 students stand out? I also feel like the "cut-off" is 3.5, where anything below that seems like an instinctual red-flag to admissions committees. I posted my school list in my previous reply!

It definitely could be the interviewing skills. That is something I need to work on also. Thank you.

Maybe but sense OP only applied to one DO school it doesn't strike me as his/her main issue. If you apply broadly to DO schools your chances are good.

You will need a combination of improved GPA and exceptional service record to have a high chance of success at MD schools. Right now your volunteering seems acceptable but nothing that makes you stand out among other competitive applicants. Due to the fact your GPA is low for successful applicants I would suggest on both improving it and gaining valuable life life experience through service if you are set on a MD school.
Thank you for the response. I applied to 5 DO schools late and got 1 waitlist. I also agree that my GPA needs to be raised.