To reapply or not? that's the question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jigglyboo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My head is debating on reapplying for the next cycle or not. I'm waitlisted on the school i want to go to. So i probably won't hear anything definitive until after the cycle starts. I don't exactly have the luxury financially to reapply either. I'm strapping for cash. So for the experienced applicants out there, considering these circumstances, would you prepare and apply for the next cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

My head is debating on reapplying for the next cycle or not. I'm waitlisted on the school i want to go to. So i probably won't hear anything definitive until after the cycle starts. I don't exactly have the luxury financially to reapply either. I'm strapping for cash. So for the experienced applicants out there, considering these circumstances, would you prepare and apply for the next cycle?

Two questions:

1) Are you reasonably sure you want to be a doctor?
2) Are you going to be able to improve your application?

If you've answered, "yes," to the above two questions, then reapply. Find a way to do it financially (you may need to delay a little bit longer, until you can come up with the money you need). Don't let money stand in the way of your dream. You can limit the number of places in which you apply, given your current experience, to help you save money. Do what you can. But if medicine is truly what you want, then you'll want to reapply. You can further increase your chances, by finding out what happened this cycle. Ask the adcomms about your application, if you can. Make the necessary changes. You don't need to reapply right away, but when it makes sense for you to.

Two questions:

1) Are you reasonably sure you want to be a doctor?
2) Are you going to be able to improve your application?

If you've answered, "yes," to the above two questions, then reapply. Find a way to do it financially (you may need to delay a little bit longer, until you can come up with the money you need). Don't let money stand in the way of your dream. You can limit the number of places in which you apply, given your current experience, to help you save money. Do what you can. But if medicine is truly what you want, then you'll want to reapply. You can further increase your chances, by finding out what happened this cycle. Ask the adcomms about your application, if you can. Make the necessary changes. You don't need to reapply right away, but when it makes sense for you to.

I agree! If this is what you want to do, then do it! Retake a couple of classes to bring up your GPA. In the meantime you can get a job to earn money for application costs or retaking the MCAT. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)

If you're unsure about it, then don't reapply. take a year off and have your fun and then amp up your MCAT and apply. Much less stressful that way. Hell, if 30 yr olds are getting into med school, im sure you can too. You don't look old in your pic.

Yah, I am definitely sure i want to be a doctor. I've realized the holes in my profile after going through this first cycle and it would take a year to vamp it up where it's weak. Working in a non-profit research institute doesn't really pay much, may have to look for a 2nd job. Only you fellow sufferers know what i'm talking about, thanks for the feedback.

Yah, I am definitely sure i want to be a doctor. I've realized the holes in my profile after going through this first cycle and it would take a year to amp it up where it's weak. Working in a non-profit research institute doesn't really pay much, may have to look for a 2nd job. Only you fellow sufferers know what i'm talking about, thanks for the feedback.