To send grades or not

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dcham

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry to start another thread like this but what do you guys think about sending this semester's grades to schools? I got 2 A's an A- and a B+. Should I send them to schools like Columbia, or should I just send an update letter that omits the grades?

Members don't see this ad.

dcham said:
Sorry to start another thread like this but what do you guys think about sending this semester's grades to schools? I got 2 A's an A- and a B+. Should I send them to schools like Columbia, or should I just send an update letter that omits the grades?

the grades look great dude. I would definitely send in the grade update. good luck

i would send them....i got A's and B's too, but just more B's than A's, so i'm not sending...but those grades are definitely worth including in the update letter.

dcham said:

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah .. got all my grades back today ... I got straight A's this semester =)

however, the problem is that I already sent med schools update letter [which contained my summer school grades] last month ... I really want to send out this semester grades ... do you think that they will get mad because they receive 2 update letters in only 2-month period? I know the A's this semester will definitely help me though, especially at schools I am "on hold" pre-interviews, like UCSD/UCI, and schools I've not yet heard from. I really confused how should I write my update letter now ... what do you guys think???

send 'em, both of ya

beep said:
send 'em, both of ya
How are you sending updated grades?? Email, letter w/transcripts, a letter just telling your updates???

faradayampere said:

however, the problem is that I already sent med schools update letter [which contained my summer school grades] last month ... I really want to send out this semester grades ... do you think that they will get mad because they receive 2 update letters in only 2-month period? I know the A's this semester will definitely help me though, especially at schools I am "on hold" pre-interviews, like UCSD/UCI, and schools I've not yet heard from. I really confused how should I write my update letter now ... what do you guys think???

I actually sent UCI and UCSD an updated transcript in October, which contained 6 new A's from spring quarter and summer school. I'm still on hold pre-interview at both of them. I don't know if I should even bother sending this quarter's grades to them since it didn't seem to help last time. Well, I probably will send them, but I'm not getting my hopes up. :)

faradayampere said:

Just say something like:

Since my previous correspondence, my Fall semester grades have become available. I am continuing to do XYZ activity and in the spring semester I will be taking ABC classes. Thank you for receiving my updated academic progress and feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Faradayampere

or something like that. and make sure you sign it Faradayampere... :smuggrin:

Hey everyone,

Do grades have to be sent? Do any schools require applicants to send them first semester grades? This semester brought my GPA down so I'd rather that med schools don't see them. Will I be able to do this? :confused:

-tt

Just bumping to see if anyone can help... I know it's been dicussed before, but I couldn't find anything other than this thread (which was on page 9!!)

Anyway, please give me your opinion: i didn't do well in one of my fall classes (just got the grades) and it's bringing down my gpa. So, I'm wondering if I really have to send my new transcript to all the med schools I'm applying to, or if I should just send them an update letter without the transcript. Wouldn't that seem "wierd" though? I mean, wouldn't it be kinda "suspicious"?

Also, I'm in grad school, finishing up my masters - not in the field of sciences. So, does it really matter? Do med schools even care about how well I do in my grad school classes that are not even related to sciences? (master in bioethics).

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks a lot! :luck:

you don't need to get straight A's to send in grades. if your gpa for the semester/quarter is higher than the cumulative, send it in. otherwise, don't do it.

So to all of those who have sent in grades, did you send the transcripts or just write an email reporting those grades? I want to believe it would help, since there are two schools I interviewed at and haven't heard from in 3 months.

Thanks for your help Constructor! :)

Now, the next question is: the low grade I was talking about is a C+ (my first C ever, I can't even believe it's happening... :mad: ). I talked to the prof and he said I could rewrite the paper that killed me and try to raise my grade to a B- or a B. I was thinking about doing it, but the spring semester starts in week and I'll be taking 4 classes. Plus, I have 2 jobs and a med school interview coming up. So, I'll be very busy and I don't know if I'll have the time to rewrite the damn paper. And, of course, I don't feel like rewriting a 40-pages paper... ;)

So, is it worth it? Should I find the time and motivation to re-write it or just say f*ck it?? If a med school finally decides to accept me, they will ask for all my trancripts at some point (including the grad school ones) and they'll see the C+... How bad could that be?

Thanks a lot!! :luck:

Rzarecta said:
So to all of those who have sent in grades, did you send the transcripts or just write an email reporting those grades? I want to believe it would help, since there are two schools I interviewed at and haven't heard from in 3 months.

Send it in a letter format. Schools don't want to get a transcript from you until they request the final one prior to matriculation.

KiKat37 said:
Thanks for your help Constructor! :)

Now, the next question is: the low grade I was talking about is a C+ (my first C ever, I can't even believe it's happening... :mad: ). I talked to the prof and he said I could rewrite the paper that killed me and try to raise my grade to a B- or a B. I was thinking about doing it, but the spring semester starts in week and I'll be taking 4 classes. Plus, I have 2 jobs and a med school interview coming up. So, I'll be very busy and I don't know if I'll have the time to rewrite the damn paper. And, of course, I don't feel like rewriting a 40-pages paper... ;)

So, is it worth it? Should I find the time and motivation to re-write it or just say f*ck it?? If a med school finally decides to accept me, they will ask for all my trancripts at some point (including the grad school ones) and they'll see the C+... How bad could that be?

Thanks a lot!! :luck:

a C+ might not look that good since you have never got it before and the adcom might hold that against you. you don't want to give them any unexpected surprises that wouldn't count in your favor. looks like you don't have time to bump up the grade, either.

so here's what i would do: if your other grades are good and your gpa for the quarter is, too, then mention just the gpa for the quarter in your letter along with the updated cumulative gpa without getting into the specifics about the grades. if, on the other hand, your gpa for the quarter is sub-par by your standards, then don't mention anything about your grades but do kiss up to the school in the letter like everyone does.

Spitting Camel said:
Send it in a letter format. Schools don't want to get a transcript from you until they request the final one prior to matriculation.

I sent an email. Every school said "thanks, reckoning, this works for us", except for Stanford who sent the following friendly reply. Uhm, thank you, too:

Transcripts (official or unofficial) are only requested from applicants who have been admitted. Please do not send any copies of your transcripts to our office as they will be destroyed accordingly.

Thank you.

Thanks again Constructor! I'll follow your advice. I got As on my all my other classes (three), so it should work out in the end. I decided to meet the prof, too. I wanna see "how much work" he wants me to do in order to raise my grade to a B- or a B. If I see that I can do it in a couple of days, I'll do it. If he wants me to completely rewrite the damn thing, which would take me a week, then I'll just forget about it.

Thanks again! Best of luck to you! :luck:

KiKat37 said:
Thanks again Constructor! I'll follow your advice. I got As on my all my other classes (three), so it should work out in the end. I decided to meet the prof, too. I wanna see "how much work" he wants me to do in order to raise my grade to a B- or a B. If I see that I can do it in a couple of days, I'll do it. If he wants me to completely rewrite the damn thing, which would take me a week, then I'll just forget about it.

I may have missed this in the tons of other threads on this subject, but who do you send the grades to? All of the schools that you applied to, just the ones that you have had interviews at or been accepted to? Is it ok to just say nothing and wait? Thanks for your help.

KiKat37 said:

thanks, same to you! :)

Hi everyone,

did you guys send an updated gpa / update on ECs to every school, or just the ones where you are on a pre-interview hold? what if the school didn't ask for it specifically? is it more of an annoyance to them, or do they actually take a good fall gpa into consideration in granting interviews?