To Step I or not to Step I

Started by kdog024
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kdog024

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am an upcoming OMS3, and have recently taken COMLEX level 1. While I feel relatively??? confident that I will pass COMLEX(got a 460 though felt like **** after the exam), I recently took NBME 25 and got a 57%. I have my Step 1 scheduled two weeks into my first elective rotation.

I have three more weeks till my rotations start but I feel like I am hitting a wall energy wise and really struggling to focus. Because of this, I am wondering whether it is worth it to take STEP 1 or to just move on and focus on rotations and STEP 2/Level 2. For context, I am considering IM/FM/Psych and am in no way looking at anything else. Too tired to be ambitious and I enjoy longitudinal care.

I guess what I am asking is whether my application will get screened out if I only take Step 2(in which case I will push through this fatigue).
 
You're borderline failing. It would be a risk to take step imo. Those specialties don't require step. Apply broadly and you'll be fine