to take in april OR august???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nightowl

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So...I was planning on taking Kaplan from January to April, but I just found out that the class is going to be offered over the summer (May to August) and now I don't know what to do! I was planning on cramming everything in and taking it in April, but now I'm wondering if it would be better to spend the summer reviewing with the course and taking in August for the 1st time. Any advice? The only thing is my state school has rolling admissions and applying early seems to put you at an advantage...But I'm wondering if I should go ahead and take the course this spring or hold off... :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

nightowl said:
So...I was planning on taking Kaplan from January to April, but I just found out that the class is going to be offered over the summer (May to August) and now I don't know what to do! I was planning on cramming everything in and taking it in April, but now I'm wondering if it would be better to spend the summer reviewing with the course and taking in August for the 1st time. Any advice? The only thing is my state school has rolling admissions and applying early seems to put you at an advantage...But I'm wondering if I should go ahead and take the course this spring or hold off... :confused:

can you take a lighter load next semseter to study? taking the april mcat puts you at a huge advantage b/c of rolling admissions. you could know if you're accepted by oct. 15 vs. waiting months later b/c some schools wont even look at your secondary until august score are out.

wxl31 said:
can you take a lighter load next semseter to study? taking the april mcat puts you at a huge advantage b/c of rolling admissions. you could know if you're accepted by oct. 15 vs. waiting months later b/c some schools wont even look at your secondary until august score are out.

I agree. I also recommend taking it in April.

April. No question about it. If you F it up, you'll have another chance - plus you'll be better prepared for August. If you don't F it up, you can get an early acceptance.

If you F up the August MCAT... well... try again next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
April, all the way. I took it in April and applied early. By the time the August MCATers got their scores, I already had been to 5 interviews. Since many schools have rolling admissions, April MCATers have an advantage. This is not to say that August MCATers have a poor shot at getting into medical school the same year, but April MCATers do have the edge in the process.

I think the overall edge isn't that great, since most schools will make sure they give all applicants a chance. However, does anything beat having an acceptance by October or November? Nope, can't beat that. I'd hate to be waiting for schools to be still just starting to review my application in November.