To the people that took the august MCAT last year....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Femtochemistry

Skunk Works
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was just wondering, i am taking the august mcat this year and applying for the 2003 admission to med school. I am know i am applying late, blah blah blah :rolleyes:

But did anybody here take the any august MCAT and get accepted to med school without waiting an extra year?

Thx fellas.

Members don't see this ad.

i took the august MCAT last summer and am going to med school this fall.

it's completely do-able.
just make sure you get the rest of your application in order and sent in. don't wait around for your scores to get in.

i took the last august MCAT and submitted my amcas application 10-4. so far, i've been accepted to 8 schools. however, this year wasn't a typical year. (all the amcas online problems). if your have a strong app you're sure to get in even as an august MCATer. good luck!
i wouldn't wait till after the mcat to complete and submit your amcas app though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was an August 2000 MCATer and got in (even after they lost it and I had to take it AGAIN in October 2000) during the same year (started med school Aug 2001). The key to having a fighting chance against all the April test takers is to make sure that ALL of your secondaries & other paperwork/info is complete at whatever schools you're applying to. Yes, this takes a good deal of bravery on your part (you're spending a lot of money with no garauntee that you'll do well on the test) but you want to make sure that all they are waiting on is those scores. That's how I did it and I got in long before some of the April people did....despite having my scores reported late on top of it! It can be done!

I took the August 2001 MCAT, submitted my AMCAS in late October, applied to two schools, and was accepted to both. It can be done, you'll be fine.

From what I saw at my school, most of the people who took the August MCATs (including myself) did just was well with the acceptances than everyone else... it just took longer to find out, which made it a bit frustrating at times.
As everyone else said, get in your applications early... my amcas took a lot longer than i expected, which was also frustrating.
Good luck! :D

Everybody (including me) who took the August MCAT last year and submitted the AMCAS late (late October) and got accepted at good schools were really lucky. I doubt it will happen again this year because there will be no terrorist attacks (knock on wood) and anthrax warnings and most of the kinks in the AMCAS have been worked out and schools won't be forced to wait for AMCAS for proactive applicants and even extending deadlines.

This being said, I think you should still study the hell out of the MCAT and fill out and sumbit your AMCAS right after you take it. Schools don't start deciding your application until they get your score so you have some time to work with.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Cobragirl:
•I was an August 2000 MCATer and got in (even after they lost it and I had to take it AGAIN in October 2000) during the same year (started med school Aug 2001). The key to having a fighting chance against all the April test takers is to make sure that ALL of your secondaries & other paperwork/info is complete at whatever schools you're applying to. Yes, this takes a good deal of bravery on your part (you're spending a lot of money with no garauntee that you'll do well on the test) but you want to make sure that all they are waiting on is those scores. That's how I did it and I got in long before some of the April people did....despite having my scores reported late on top of it! It can be done!•••••Are you saying you had to take the test again because AAMC lost it?!?!? That would be horrible.

This may sound a bit harsh but I'm just trying to be honest.

I agree with brickmanli.

I applied in the 2000-20001 application cycle before the whole AMCAS online debacle and it really hurt me when I took the August MCAT. In addition I submitted to AMCAS the first week of August. I interviewed late as a result because most schools decided not to review my file at all until the scores came out in October. By the time I interviewed, in January/February, most schools that I applied to had already filled up their classes. I ended up not getting in and took this last application year off.

Since it looks like AMCAS has its sh** together this year (cross your fingers :wink: ) applying late this year will end up hurting you a lot more. Since this past application cycle was rather atypical due to the problems with AMCAS, it should not be used to gauge the effects of taking the MCAT in August and applying late since most applications this past year were delayed anyway for one reason or another. Many schools that do not automatically send out secondaries to applicants did so anyway in order to bypass the AMCAS submission "bottleneck." With AMCAS working smoothly this year this probably won't happen again.

The vast majority of medical schools recommend that you take the April MCAT. I think they must know *something*. They are more aware of general trends of acceptance and I would place more weight on what they say than on anectdotal evidence some posters have offered on this thread regarding friends "A","B", and "C" that took the August MCAT, applied late, and had "no problem" getting in.

With that said, don't fret too much about taking the August MCAT but understand that you will be competing for fewer seats at schools that have rolling admissions. By the time you get your scores, many schools will have already sent out acceptances. Some even delay sending you a secondary until your scores are in as was the case with me (this really hurt BTW). In addition to school with rolling admissions, I would look for schools with non-rolling admisssions where the playing field would be more or less equal with April MCAT'ers.

Hope this clears things up a bit. Good Luck.

As already stated above, many students take the August MCAT and find success. The only thing I would advise is not to wait until you complete the MCAT to submit your application, but submit it now. It would be to your advantage if the schools already have your application materials (maybe even have reviewed them) and just awaiting your scores.

I did, and I got in (off a waitlist). My friend did, and she got in, not even off the waitlist, but directly accepted to MCW, even though she interviewed there on the last day of interviews. Another friend of mine took the MCAT as well, and will probably be getting in off a waitlist soon.

I think if anything, you will just get in later than you would if you had taken the MCAT earlier, but not necessarily, as there are some people waitlisted who may have gotten the MCAT out of the way earlier.

Taking the August MCAT will not make it impossible for you to get in that application year, but it does make it a little bit more difficult since you will be invited for interviews later than those who took the MCAT in April. Rolling admissions is your enemy in this case, but if you are strong in everything else with your application, a later interview won't hurt your chances at all really.

Yep, it's true. Cobragirl and I both had to retake it at UWF. Why? Because the courier service lost the stupid tests. They called the 32 people at the end of September that year and informed us that we had about 2 weeks to retake it. That sucked! On the other hand, the new tests were fed-exed to the test center and fed-exed back to us. We had the results in a week or two. I always thought that CG was fortunate to get in with all of that mess!

Oh yeah, and we got refunds! It CAN happen.

I took the August MCAT in 2000 and got in the 2001 class.

i took the august mcat after bombing the april test last year. i applied early (mid-july, i think), and had two interview invites before my august scores even came back.

Savoy, you had interview offers before you even got your August score, how did you manage that. Did they think your original scores were okay so they interviewed you anyway, or was the rest of your application just steller?

Thx for all the feedback guys! I will be submitting my AMCAS application in june (early-mid june) so all the med schools need is my MCAST scores.

Again, Thx!