To the waitlisted: What are you sending other than a letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brickmanli

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some people are sending in new recommendations, but what about short works like a small reproduction of your art work, creative writing, etc. (I know they don't want theses, but what if it's only one sheet)?

I am waitlisted at three schools, and would like to hear what my fellow waitlistees are doing as well as any success stories from current med students.

Is it good to be different?

Members don't see this ad.

Just ask the schools what they will accept.

I wouldn't send artwork or creative writing, though. I thougt you were going to say a reprint of a published case report or something, which might be a good idea if you have it.

If I get wait listed, I'll just send a new LOR and a letter of interest updating my application.

I have found the UCLA website helpful. There is a whole page on wait list advice.
(www.bol.ucla.edu/~ericwang)

Here's one quote:

Contact Your Interviewers
The first thing to do when you are told you have been waitlisted is to contact your interviewers, especially if your interview went well, and if he or she is a voting member of the admissions committee. At most schools, the interviewer acts as your advocate. This means that he or she is trying to sell you to the rest of the committee, telling them of your strong points and why you would make a good member of that particular school. It is in your best interests to write or e-mail your interviewer to tell him or her that you are genuinely interested in that school, and that you still consider it one of your top choices. Also, you might want to ask what other steps you can take. Some interviewers will ask you to write a letter to the admissions committee, others will ask that you write the dean, and some will tell you not to write at all. The interviewer will know the pulse of the committee best, so use him and ask! Continue contacting your interviewer every two or three weeks, increasing frequency as it gets later in the season.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious. Having quoted the recommendation above, has anyone out there tried it? (i.e. going back to your interviewer for help/advice)

I plan on going to the admissions office and just politely ask to talk to someone on the committee. I will explain that I have acceptances at two other places but would still like to go to their school. My advisor told me to do this but I haven't had the guts to do it yet. But I figure if it pisses them off I still have somewhere to go. On the other hand they might really like my desire to go to their school.

What do you guys think of this technique?

medicine2006: I like that idea. I might make the 200 mile drive if perhaps there is the chance it'll work. Good luck and let us know how you fare.

Do you send out a letter of intent to your first choice school and letters of interest to 2nd choice schools? That is allowed right?

I think you can send a letter of intent/interest that falls short of an absolute promise that you will enroll at that school no matter what. What if some other school offers you a great financial aid package and your first choice offers nothing? Don't make a promise that you might feel morally/ethically bound to abide by if there's any chance that you'll change your mind. Tell them how much you like their school and how thrilled you would be to go there, but don't make the ultimate promise unless you're REALLY sure. Just my opinion.