To those in the know: when upper div bio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drslc134

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,
my experience is that a lot of posters will have at least a take or some educated insight into this...

i'm currently a sophomore, doing my year of general bio, though i'm in an interdisciplinary major, which sort of combines essential biology with the social sciences...as a junior, i will doing a lot of chem, and classes that probably wouldn't "count" as "upper division bio" classes as required by a number of medical schools (i.e. you be the judge on titles such as, "Epidemiology of Infectious Disease, Medical Ethics)...

In all likelihood, it will not be until autumn quarter of my senior year when I take biochem, and my first bio-dept. class other than labs in genetics of biological processes (up. div.)

Is this acceptable not to have taken any upper division hard-science bio stuff until senior year (aside: do we list future courses on the AMCAS), if I plan on applying at this time?

I know this is kind of a specifically-geared question...I hope you can all help me out...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

drslc134 said:
hey guys,
my experience is that a lot of posters will have at least a take or some educated insight into this...

i'm currently a sophomore, doing my year of general bio, though i'm in an interdisciplinary major, which sort of combines essential biology with the social sciences...as a junior, i will doing a lot of chem, and classes that probably wouldn't "count" as "upper division bio" classes as required by a number of medical schools (i.e. you be the judge on titles such as, "Epidemiology of Infectious Disease, Medical Ethics)...

In all likelihood, it will not be until autumn quarter of my senior year when I take biochem, and my first bio-dept. class other than labs in genetics of biological processes (up. div.)

Is this acceptable not to have taken any upper division hard-science bio stuff until senior year (aside: do we list future courses on the AMCAS), if I plan on applying at this time?

I know this is kind of a specifically-geared question...I hope you can all help me out...

Thanks!
Generally, schools don't require you to have taken any classes until the point when you actually matriculate. That being said, it is generally advisable to have taken the "premed" courses by the time you take the MCAT, whenever that may be. By this I mean gchem, ochem, physics, bio, and physiology.

On the AMCAS, you list all courses you have taken or are taking. I don't believe you list courses you plan on taking. (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Bluntman said:
I don't believe you list courses you plan on taking. (someone correct me if I'm wrong)
You're wrong about this, but I forgive you. Everything else was right.

Members don't see this ad :)
jebus said:
You're wrong about this, but I forgive you. Everything else was right.
lol guess that's what I get for applying when I'd already finished my ugrad. :rolleyes:

Just curious...would you just enter them in as Senior classes, and then just leave every grade blank?

If your school has a physiology course, I highly suggest you take it first semister next year I credit a similar course at my school for my unsually large Bio score on the MCAT (after you take physio, any question on the human body asked on the MCAT is a snap.)

Outside of the MCAT reason, I highly suggest you take an upper level bio course (physio being in my mind the best class) to just make sure you find the subject matter interesting and you understand it, you dont want to wait till med school to find out either answer to those questions is a no.

The above posters are right, the requirements do not need to be done until you matriculate and you do list are courses you are taking and planning to take. However, some upper div bio is extremely helpful (borderline essential) for the MCAT. If I were you, I would try to take biochem and physiology your junior year if you plan on applying right after your junior year. There's lots of physiology on the bio section of the mcat, and a good amount of ochem/biochem that it is beneficial to take it.