To those who had to reapply, how did you do it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted970761

To preface I'll include my stats below
  • CGPA: 3.3
  • SGPA:3.2
  • DAT AA: 20
  • DAT TS: 20
  • Volunteer Hours: 300
  • Shadowing Hours: 148
Quite frankly I was not prepared to apply this cycle nor did I want to, but my parents insisted that I had to take the risk and see where it took me. I was pressured into applying and came in with the expectation that I was going to get zero interviews and simply watch the rejections roll in. I wasn't far off from the truth and was only invited to one interview (currently still waiting on it). I'm graduating at the end of Spring and quite frankly I am falling apart and I feel lost. I am not sure what things I need to work on to improve my application and the constant rejections have really effected my self-worth. So to those who had to reapply, how did you guys find the strength to keep going and what did you guys do to improve your application?

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, you still have that one interview left so you're not done just yet. Prepare well for the interview and kill it.

Your stats aren't that bad. If you don't get in this cycle, just take some more classes, improve your GPA and apply again. Of course you can pad your shadowing/volunteer hours too. Work on putting together a good story for your personal statement.

You're still young. A couple of years is nothing and if you can make good use of the gap year, you may even get into a better (i.e. cheaper) school.

I also applied the first time when I wasnt ready. But I'm determined and refused to give up. I'm now 4 application cycles in and still determined. I think of it as: it is even my dream if I'm not willing to fight for it?

You never know what the results of that interview will be until you get the rejection, or the semester starts. But give it your all and if you end up having to reapply, you'll be much more comfortable with the process and already have experience with an interview.

Sent from my SM-G960U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Few questions
-How many schools/which ones did you apply to?
-When did you apply?
-Did you have people read over your PS and application?

What options I recommend with limited information
1. Maintain shadowing/volunteer hours, work on application, and retake DAT
2. Maintain shadowing/volunteer hours, work on application, and do a one year masters.
3. Maintain shadowing/volunteer hours, work on application, one year masters, and retake DAT. (This will give you the best chance of success, but obviously the hardest)

Few questions
-When did you apply?

2. Maintain shadowing/volunteer hours, work on application, and do a one year masters.
3. Maintain shadowing/volunteer hours, work on application, one year masters, and retake DAT. (This will give you the best chance of success, but obviously the hardest)
Please DO NOT retake the DAT. But the rest, I strongly agree.

Strong Application/well rounded and applying early > DAT (20 AA/20 TS) with weak application and applying late

A must:
-Apply Early
-Strong LOR’s
-Strong PS

Optional:
-Continue volunteering
-Continue shadowing
-Retake DAT
-Masters

I know a couple people that got in with even worse stats but they probably applied earlier and had chosen better schools to apply to.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
What's your full DAT breakdown? For sure, what's your PAT? There are some schools that absolutely eliminate you if you have a subscore below 17, so is that the case?

We're also missing a lot of information about you: state residency, race/ethnicity/SED, activities hours, majors, etc. I would need more context before saying anything about your sGPA or BCP GPA.

Their is literally no need for a DAT retake at all. But the rest, I strongly agree.

Strong Application/well rounded and applying early > DAT (20 AA/20 TS) with weak application and applying late

A must:
-Apply Early
-Strong LOR’s
-Strong PS

Optional:
-Continue volunteering
-Continue shadowing
-Retake DAT
-Masters

I know a couple people that got in with even worse stats but they probably applied earlier and had chosen better schools to apply to.

I agree that the DAT and masters are optional, especially the DAT. My issue is from an admissions standpoint say the applicant applied at a decent time, but receives no acceptances this year (I hope this isn’t the case). When they apply next year admissions will say to themselves “well they had no acceptances last year let’s see what did to improve this year.” Applicants need to stay proactive within reason of course. I guess I’m a little bit hardcore. I would like to see individuals put themselves in the best postion to succeed (aka get them into a cheap school). Almost every school I applied to as reapplicant asked me what I did with my time. We need more info about this applicant. Their breakdown would be helpful.

I agree that the DAT and masters are optional, especially the DAT. My issue is from an admissions standpoint say the applicant applied at a decent time, but receives no acceptances this year (I hope this isn’t the case). When they apply next year admissions will say to themselves “well they had no acceptances last year let’s see what did to improve this year.” Applicants need to stay proactive within reason of course. I guess I’m a little bit hardcore. I would like to see individuals put themselves in the best postion to succeed (aka get them into a cheap school). Almost every school I applied to as reapplicant asked me what I did with my time. We need more info about this applicant. Their breakdown would be helpful.
I agree, but with that DAT score, it's not worth focusing on that part of your application. The DAT is complete and good enough. They should just have a strong PS, strong LOR's, and at least be able to say they've been working making some money.

I agree, but with that DAT score, it's not worth focusing on that part of your application. The DAT is complete and good enough. They should just have a strong PS, strong LOR's, and at least be able to say they've been working making some money.

Definitely could be risky business with the DAT as well if they don’t perform better. Gpa/app is the area that would need work if anything.

Few questions
-When did you apply?

1) I applied to 10 schools and to schools I thought I was qualified for like Midwestern Arizona, AT-STILL, Roseman etc.
2) I applied June 20th
3) I had a lot of people read through my PS but I never had anyone take a good look at my application.

What's your full DAT breakdown? For sure, what's your PAT? There are some schools that absolutely eliminate you if you have a subscore below 17, so is that the case?

We're also missing a lot of information about you: state residency, race/ethnicity/SED, activities hours, majors, etc. I would need more context before saying anything about your sGPA or BCP GPA.

My DAT breakdown is as follows
  • AA- 20
  • TS-20
  • PAT-19
  • QR-16
  • RC- 23
  • Bio-20
  • GC-19
  • OC-20
I am also Asian and majoring in Biology if this contributes to anything at all.

My DAT breakdown is as follows
  • AA- 20
  • TS-20
  • PAT-19
  • QR-16
  • RC- 23
  • Bio-20
  • GC-19
  • OC-20
I am also Asian and majoring in Biology if this contributes to anything at all.
Solid DAT for now. When you say you "thought you were qualified" for specific schools, did you have any conversations with admissions recruiters and current students before you began the application process last year? What feedback gave you insight that you thought you were qualified?

From my experience your overall and science GPA's are a little lower than desired. It depends on the school but in general, the goal should be to get the sGPA to 3.50 with a strong foundation in biomedical science courses and to have some evidence of manual dexterity involving fine motor movements.

There are people who have gotten into dental and medical school with far worse GPA's. Search for Goro's Guide to Reinvention to get a better idea. Some of it may not apply outside of getting into medical school, but you can understand the analogous application for dental school admissions.

You are also an adult. As much as conceding to the wishes of our parents is part of human nature or culture, unless they have talked to an actual admissions professional (prehealth advisor or admissions director), you are the captain of your career. Don't apply until you have a good idea of a desirable application and how you fit with the schools you want to attend. Otherwise it's like having an arranged shotgun marriage with a blind date.

Don't apply until you have a good idea of a desirable application and how you fit with the schools you want to attend. Otherwise it's like having an arranged shotgun marriage with a blind date.
Is it not better to apply though and at least try? I've heard re-applicants have a better chance too. Not sure if it's true though.

Is it not better to apply though and at least try? I've heard re-applicants have a better chance too. Not sure if it's true though.
It's never better to spend more money and time than you have to. Reapplicants don't have a better chance because they are reapplicants (this isn't like writing NIH grants).

It's never better to spend more money and time than you have to. Reapplicants don't have a better chance because they are reapplicants (this isn't like writing NIH grants).
I thought it shows someone is determined though I guess.

I thought it shows someone is determined though I guess.
You have to show significant improvement. A lot of schools will begin to shy away from applicants who don't improve and continue to apply. That's why it's always better to have one MCAT/DAT score that automatically puts you in consideration rather than have 2, 3, 4, or even more attempts. Remember that you won't have as many chances before you are kicked out of dental school, or fail to pass your boards and get licensure. You don't get mulligans if you are serious as a professional. Doing it correctly once always beats having to repeatedly correct or fix. You'll find that out in dentistry.

Reactions: 1 users
Solid DAT for now. When you say you "thought you were qualified" for specific schools, did you have any conversations with admissions recruiters and current students before you began the application process last year? What feedback gave you insight that you thought you were qualified?

From my experience your overall and science GPA's are a little lower than desired. It depends on the school but in general, the goal should be to get the sGPA to 3.50 with a strong foundation in biomedical science courses and to have some evidence of manual dexterity involving fine motor movements.

There are people who have gotten into dental and medical school with far worse GPA's. Search for Goro's Guide to Reinvention to get a better idea. Some of it may not apply outside of getting into medical school, but you can understand the analogous application for dental school admissions.

You are also an adult. As much as conceding to the wishes of our parents is part of human nature or culture, unless they have talked to an actual admissions professional (prehealth advisor or admissions director), you are the captain of your career. Don't apply until you have a good idea of a desirable application and how you fit with the schools you want to attend. Otherwise it's like having an arranged shotgun marriage with a blind date.
Thank you for the advice and Yes, whenever a recruiter came to do a presentation at my university I would frequently ask them if my stats would give me any chance of getting admitted into their programs and more times than not they would tell me they have had people with stats far lower than mine enter their programs and I also had dental students look over my personal statement and what not multiple times. I do believe my letters of rec from professors were on the weak side since I don't think I had a strong enough relationship with them in the first place.

Thank you for the advice and Yes, whenever a recruiter came to do a presentation at my university I would frequently ask them if my stats would give me any chance of getting admitted into their programs and more times than not they would tell me they have had people with stats far lower than mine enter their programs and I also had dental students look over my personal statement and what not multiple times. I do believe my letters of rec from professors were on the weak side since I don't think I had a strong enough relationship with them in the first place.
You didn't disclose where you applied or which schools you talked with about your previous application. Obviously you never know with an admissions process what screeners will do or what they are told year-to-year. The relationships with professors though is important; you make some real connections with professors in dental school, and some will be lifelong peers and mentors. Very strong letters get noticed by faculty and usually make a difference in deliberations, but I don't normally see it being a factor at screening for interviews (unless it's a question of not following directions for requirements for number of professor letters, if a dentist letter is required, etc.). If you have zero to one interview, something else is an issue, and my assessment points to your GPA's for sure and maybe an evaluation of your academic record.

My stats were super similar to yours, and I even applied late (app finished in October because of the DAT). I would suggest apply more broadly, because 10 isn't enough with our stats. Also, make sure you create an overall theme with your application, because I think that helped me get in and interviewers talked about it a lot. Got three interviews and I feel pretty lucky since I applied to 15 schools.

I applied 3 times. I got a lot more interviews after completing my masters program. I suggest the same to you.
I know it may be pricey, but why continue to apply with a low chance of getting an interview year after year

Don't listen to the people who say that they had the same stats and were accepted into dental schools. Yes it will happen. The chances of it happening to another applicant with the same stats? Not high. Could it happen to you? possibly, but no one knows.
Create your own path to dental school. Don't follow the footsteps of others because you will never be the same applicant. Your shadowing and volunteering hours are fine. Your DAT and GPA may be holding you back.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all, for those of you who have to reapply and are looking for an interesting and unique opportunity...

My name is John and I am currently a third year dental student at the Kornberg School of Dentistry of Temple University in Philadelphia, PA. After getting rejected during my first application cycle, I was invited to apply to the Dental Post-Baccalaureate Program at Temple University. Without hesitation I took the offer and was admitted as a post-baccalaureate student. In short, this 10 month program (Thats right! You don't have to take an additional gap year - apply to the next cycle straight out of this program) helped me improve my DAT, GPA and shadowing hours, the three most important statistics of any dental application, all while in a dental school setting. The program combines pre-dental science courses as well as dental assisting, pre-clinical, and clinical coursework. My experience in this program was undeniably unique and captured the eyes and attention of many dental admissions committees the following cycle. I applied to dental school for the 2nd time more confident in myself, I had a greater foundational knowledge of dentistry, and I know that I wouldn't be where I am today without this program.

I want to let all applicants know, whether you are waiting for an acceptance letter and would like a back-up plan, or you are stuck on a stagnant admissions waitlist, or you have been rejected from all your top choices that the Kornberg School of Dentistry Post-Baccalaureate program at Temple University is accepting applicants. This 5 year old program has been unbelievably successful in getting applicants admitted to the schools of their dreams. You do not need to have applied to Temple Dental School's DMD program to apply to the post-baccalaureate program. For more information on this incredible opportunity, visit https://dentistry.temple.edu/pb. If you are interested in applying to the post-baccalaureate program please click on the link to register at https://forms.gle/VtJXW26b9LpyYso99 as well as email your AADSAS application to [email protected].

This is NOT an advertisement whatsoever. If you are interested in Temple's Post-Baccalaureate Program but want to know more, please PM me or reply to this message and I am more than happy to answer any questions that you may have. Good luck to you all, I'm really pulling for you because I was in your position before as well and I know how it feels.

- John
3rd Year Dental Student at Temple University Kornberg School of Dentistry
I don’t want to rain on your parade. I still get like a million emails for them asking if I’m interested in their post-bac program

1.Cost is like 40k plus living expenses
2.Acceptance isn’t guaranteed

I don’t want to rain on your parade. I still get like a million emails for them asking if I’m interested in their post-bac program

1.Cost is like 40k plus living expenses
2.Acceptance isn’t guaranteed

You're absolutely correct on both of those things. It's not cheap but neither is dental school and I think for many different circumstances this is a viable option. The onus is placed on you to get in, nobody is going to give you a guaranteed acceptance no matter where you go and what you do. But if you are looking for a good opportunity to show dental schools exactly what you are capable of this is a great way to do it. I like to think of it as a trial period essentially.