To those who have accepted...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vetschoolwaitlister

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are many of us on waitlists...some also have acceptances in addition to wait list spots. For those who have already accepted, please contact any schools you have have a wait list spot and let them know you are releasing your spot. Many of us are very anxious about possibly getting in...so IF you KNOW you are not using your wait list spot AND are accepted elsewhere at another school, do the rest of us a favor and let the other schools know. Then when April 15 rolls around, maybe there will be real movement on some of thee spots. And, I am not asking you to give up your wait list spots if you really, really want to go to a school that you are holding a wait list spot. I am only asking that you release your spots if you are confident in your acceptance. PLEASE. We want our chance too!!

Members don't see this ad.

Here we go again...:smack:

Reactions: 9 users
Relax honey. There are a lot of schools that won't even start calling people off the waitlist before April 15th, even if the spots are open. You're causing yourself too much undue stress.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Relax honey. There are a lot of schools that won't even start calling people off the waitlist before April 15th, even if the spots are open. You're causing yourself too much undue stress.
I know and at least when April 15 come around, maybe there will be at least some movement. Plus if people already know what school they are attending, releasing any wait list spots is just plain courtesy to those of us who are waiting.

I mean maybe it will move the spot a day or two early, but when they call that "accepted elsewhere student" and offer them the spot off their waitlist, theoretically the student would just then politely decline. The school then moves to the next spot on the waitlist and offers it to them. So really, it's being polite to the admissions person making the calls, but isn't really going to have that big of an impact on other people waiting. And if the person doesn't immediately decline, well then they're probably weighing options and so won't be prematurely giving up their spot on the waitlist anyway.

My story: I was 93% sure I was going to attend UMN. However, if UW-Madison had ever called me off of their waitlist I would definitely have had some decision making to do. (IS tuition in MN is more expensive than OOS tuition in WI).

I highly doubt anyone is sitting on acceptances to schools they know they won't be attending.

Reactions: 2 users
Awwwww. I didn't think the OP's post was out of line. S/he was pretty specific about saying it wasn't meant to pressure anyone or anything... just asking people who have already accepted somewhere to follow up with other schools. No harm in that. It wasn't like she was all "HEY PEOPLE MAKE UP YOUR MINDS ALREADY" or anything.

It is stressful, OP, no doubt. The very best thing you can do is to focus on next year. Put this year sorta in the back of your mind. Focus on continuing to build experience for next year. If you don't get in - you'll have been using your time wisely. If you do get in - you've built more experience and made more industry connections. I know it's tough, but it really is the best option for you. Your only other option is to sit there stewing on it getting more and more anxious: best just to put it out of mind and start looking forward. And then, hopefully, be pleasantly surprised when they call you with an offer. Easier said than done, I know, but still ... it's the best thing for you to do. :)

I know and at least when April 15 come around, maybe there will be at least some movement. Plus if people already know what school they are attending, releasing any wait list spots is just plain courtesy to those of us who are waiting.

So as much as I understand your angst ... don't start crossing the line to demanding that people be 'courteous' to you. Courtesy is something either given or not given - but in either case you can't demand it.

Reactions: 6 users
All those youngsters and their sense of entitlement.

/sarcasmoff

Awwwww. I didn't think the OP's post was out of line. S/he was pretty specific about saying it wasn't meant to pressure anyone or anything... just asking people who have already accepted somewhere to follow up with other schools. No harm in that. It wasn't like she was all "HEY PEOPLE MAKE UP YOUR MINDS ALREADY" or anything.

It is stressful, OP, no doubt. The very best thing you can do is to focus on next year. Put this year sorta in the back of your mind. Focus on continuing to build experience for next year. If you don't get in - you'll have been using your time wisely. If you do get in - you've built more experience and made more industry connections. I know it's tough, but it really is the best option for you. Your only other option is to sit there stewing on it getting more and more anxious: best just to put it out of mind and start looking forward. And then, hopefully, be pleasantly surprised when they call you with an offer. Easier said than done, I know, but still ... it's the best thing for you to do. :)

So as much as I understand your angst ... don't start crossing the line to demanding that people be 'courteous' to you. Courtesy is something either given or not given - but in either case you can't demand it.

Who are you and what have you done with the real LIS???? :p

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There are many of us on waitlists...some also have acceptances in addition to wait list spots. For those who have already accepted, please contact any schools you have have a wait list spot and let them know you are releasing your spot. Many of us are very anxious about possibly getting in...so IF you KNOW you are not using your wait list spot AND are accepted elsewhere at another school, do the rest of us a favor and let the other schools know. Then when April 15 rolls around, maybe there will be real movement on some of thee spots. And, I am not asking you to give up your wait list spots if you really, really want to go to a school that you are holding a wait list spot. I am only asking that you release your spots if you are confident in your acceptance. PLEASE. We want our chance too!!
Hang in there! Up until a few weeks ago I was in your situation with 3 waitlists. Try to put it out of your mind and stay busy while you wait. :)

Hang in there! Up until a few weeks ago I was in your situation with 3 waitlists. Try to put it out of your mind and stay busy while you wait. :)
easy to say...but hopefully the lists will start moving once people settle in on where they want to go.

easy to say...but hopefully the lists will start moving once people settle in on where they want to go.

I was in your same position last year. I was on three waitlists and very close to the top one of those. All summer I was anxious and stressed, but I kept myself occupied by working and furthering my experience to improve my application for the next cycle. I finally got called off one of the lists, but it was two weeks before classes would have started and I wasn't going to be able to make it work. It really sucked, but I'm glad that I denied the acceptance and reapplied this year.

Think forward to the next cycle. Try to improve any parts of your application that may be lacking. I retook the GRE and applied smarter - I applied to schools with that had strong areas of focus in large animal medicine and whose states had strong dairy industries (my main interest). The second time I applied, I was more relaxed in interviews and less anxious overall about getting in. Somehow, I got two waitlists and two acceptances. Patience is key. Turn the negative into something positive and if you don't get in this year, chances are that next year could be your year!!

I was in your same position last year. I was on three waitlists and very close to the top one of those. All summer I was anxious and stressed, but I kept myself occupied by working and furthering my experience to improve my application for the next cycle. I finally got called off one of the lists, but it was two weeks before classes would have started and I wasn't going to be able to make it work. It really sucked, but I'm glad that I denied the acceptance and reapplied this year.

Think forward to the next cycle. Try to improve any parts of your application that may be lacking. I retook the GRE and applied smarter - I applied to schools with that had strong areas of focus in large animal medicine and whose states had strong dairy industries (my main interest). The second time I applied, I was more relaxed in interviews and less anxious overall about getting in. Somehow, I got two waitlists and two acceptances. Patience is key. Turn the negative into something positive and if you don't get in this year, chances are that next year could be your year!!
To be honest, the thought of next year is almost too much for me to think about. The goal is to get in this year. And, assuming once people make their decisions and let the schools know, people who are waiting might hear earlier rather than later so plans can be made. Appreciate the thoughts on thinking to next cycle but I can't go there just yet.

To be honest, the thought of next year is almost too much for me to think about. The goal is to get in this year. And, assuming once people make their decisions and let the schools know, people who are waiting might hear earlier rather than later so plans can be made. Appreciate the thoughts on thinking to next cycle but I can't go there just yet.

While I totally get this, speaking from personal experience of being on 4 waitlists at one single time (one where I was 2nd on the list), I highly recommend that you start planning for the next cycle. By the time I did file reviews and realized the lists weren't moving, it was too late to change much by the time the application was due again.

While I totally get this, speaking from personal experience of being on 4 waitlists at one single time (one where I was 2nd on the list), I highly recommend that you start planning for the next cycle. By the time I did file reviews and realized the lists weren't moving, it was too late to change much by the time the application was due again.

Exactly.

I know it seems unbearable to think you won't get in this cycle and you want to stay optimistic, but think of how much worse you'll feel if you do nothing but fret over this for the next few weeks or even months and then realize you don't have much if anything to add to your application.

Reactions: 1 user
I was also on three waitlists and eventually got off all three--but not until late in the summer, and I know I was very high on the top of one of them. Do file reviews and start to think about reapplying.

Here's the thing: all of that is out of your hands. You no longer have any say in what goes on this cycle. Maybe you get pulled off a waitlist. Maybe you don't. Either way, you can't do anything about that. You can't rush people to make their decisions, convince them to commit to somewhere they've been accepted if they're still waiting on a waitlist somewhere else, or force them to let the schools know earlier if they have already made a decision. In all likelihood, there aren't many people who would sit on a waitlist spot if they have already decided to go elsewhere. The schools generally include a reminder in their letters to let them know if you want to give up your spot. Another reminder on SDN isnt going to do much.

But there are some things you do have control over. I understand that it is painful to think about the possibility of reapplying. I get it. But it is something that you really have to do. You can stay as optimistic as you like, but it would behoove you to prepare for a scenario where things don't turn out well. Better for you to have done what you could to improve your application for next time (even if you don't end up needing it) than to have wasted your time and energy worrying about things that are outside of your control, and potentially be unprepared if you have to reapply.

Reactions: 5 users

I'm going to be very blunt: you need to think about next cycle.

As of this point you need to consider yourself more as a rejected applicant than a waitlisted applicant. I know that it sucks but you need to move forward and start preparing for the next cycle. The application opens in may and is due a full month earlier this next year. You don't want to be caught applying again and having nothing different about your application.

I applied 3 years in a row, was waitlisted all 3 years and never got off those lists (was accepted somewhere that last year but was still sitting on 2 waitlists). You need to start thinking that you are not going to vet school because you aren't currently. I'm not saying this to be mean but to make you realize that your time frame for improving your application for next year is decreasing rapidly. Get working on improvements now and if you do get off, then great, if not you'll have a good talking point on what you've improved for the next cycle.

You're really doing yourself a disservice by just sitting there worrying. I was doing that for a while and it was horrible for my mental and physical health (I'm a stress eater). I was in 3 waitlists and assumed MSU would put me on it as well so I just gave up and started planning ahead. As horrible as it feels at first, you have to do it. I know that it feels like admitting defeat, but it was the best thing I could have done. Instead of moping all day, I started looking up 1 year graduate programs that would benefit me not only as a reapplicant, but also in vet school in the future. I also started looking for teaching jobs to save up money so that I could apply to more schools the next go around.

And the best part about doing this is that if/when you get called off the waitlist, it'll be a surprise because you'll have put it in the back of your mind. That MSU acceptance totally caught me off guard and was the best feeling in the world. Trust me and everyone else that has already recommended you move on. It's the best thing you can do right now.

Yes, I'm sure it is hard to think about next year. But you can't DO anything about this year. You CAN do something about next year.

Focus on what you can change. You can change next year if you don't get in this year. Focusing on that not only helps you not stress about about this year, but it better positions you if you don't get off the wait list. So it's a double win.

Yes, I'm sure it is hard to think about next year. But you can't DO anything about this year. You CAN do something about next year.

Focus on what you can change. You can change next year if you don't get in this year. Focusing on that not only helps you not stress about about this year, but it better positions you if you don't get off the wait list. So it's a double win.
LIS - I appreciate the words. Double wins are good. Getting in is best. Waiting is hard. Doing stuff to prepare is also good. DVMDREAms comments are being a rejected applicant are not helpful nor appreciated.

I again reiterate my original request - for those that have made a firm decision and also have waitlist spots, please let those schools know you are releasing your spot. There are a lot of people who would like to make plans (sooner rather than later). If you haven't made a firm decision, then you need to take your time and make the decision whenever works for you. No one is asking you to rush or to hurry up.

As for fellow waitlisters - have hope. Plan for next year, yes but have hope. Don't let DVMDreams harsh words affect you - have a little faith that maybe (just maybe) things will work our way. Use your time wisely in case you have to reapply but certainly don't give up hoping for the best.

As someone who is currently on a wait list, I have taken the approach that many have listed or mentioned.

While being wait listed does not mean rejected, I do not know where I lie on the list or even if I will get off of the list and so I need to move forward. Would I have loved to get into vet school on my first try? Heck yeah, who wouldn't? However, there is a lot that I can do with this time off.

I probably will not be applying this coming cycle, just to give my brain a mental break, however, I will be retaking some of my core science classes (chemistry and I do not get along) at a state university back home over the fall and spring. I will also being using this time to get more animal experience. While my file reviews did not mention that my experiences were lacking, I would like to branch out a little and get some more small animal hours. I had a lot of equine hours, as I think that is what I would like to do after graduation, however, I definitely think I could better my application by spending some more time getting small animal hours. I will also take this time to get some more volunteer hours, as I worked full-time every summer between my undergrad years and that often left me little time to volunteer between work and shadowing.

I see this as a wonderful opportunity to get some awesome real-life experiences (I am thinking of applying to KEMI to get my foot in the door in the equine repro world, if I decide to not continue schooling) and experience some things that my potential future class mates might not have had a chance to do or see.

Not getting in your first year is not the end of the world -- it certainly feels like it, but it is far from it.

And by the way, DVMDream is simply being realistic and is speaking from someone who has a lot of experience in dealing with this kind of situation. You should probably be respectful of that and take some of his/her (sorry, don't know!) advice.

Reactions: 4 users
I see this as a wonderful opportunity to get some awesome real-life experiences (I am thinking of applying to KEMI to get my foot in the door in the equine repro world, if I decide to not continue schooling) and experience some things that my potential future class mates might not have had a chance to do or see.
Just as an aside, there are a handful of other breeding internship things across the country that have some awesome programs (plus you don't have to pay to get into some of these, some will house and pay you.

LIS - I appreciate the words. Double wins are good. Getting in is best. Waiting is hard. Doing stuff to prepare is also good. DVMDREAms comments are being a rejected applicant are not helpful nor appreciated.

I again reiterate my original request - for those that have made a firm decision and also have waitlist spots, please let those schools know you are releasing your spot. There are a lot of people who would like to make plans (sooner rather than later). If you haven't made a firm decision, then you need to take your time and make the decision whenever works for you. No one is asking you to rush or to hurry up.

As for fellow waitlisters - have hope. Plan for next year, yes but have hope. Don't let DVMDreams harsh words affect you - have a little faith that maybe (just maybe) things will work our way. Use your time wisely in case you have to reapply but certainly don't give up hoping for the best.

Her words weren't harsh...just the truth. Either way, for most school's the earliest you'll hear is after April 15th. And keep in mind that people, while accepted elsewhere, may still be waiting on a wait list in case it's a financially more feasible option or maybe they have a spouse/SO who might have better job prospects in that area. I agree that if they are 100+% set on a particular school, they should consider giving up their wait list spot, but I'd say more often than not, people aren't that certain.

I applied to my internship before I had heard from 2/5 of my schools (February-ish). Needless to say, I ended up rejected and was eternally grateful to myself for doing the smart thing and giving myself a trampoline to land on. Nobody is excited to get a backup plan figured out, but it's for the best!

Just as an aside, there are a handful of other breeding internship things across the country that have some awesome programs (plus you don't have to pay to get into some of these, some will house and pay you.

KEMI provides housing and pays, although it is minimum wage, but it's still better than nothing, especially if that's all you're doing for six months. I love that you have the opportunity to work at some of the big name TB breeding farms, as eventually, I would like to do something related to the racing industry.

I would definitely be interested in hearing of other opportunities as well, though!

DVMD isn't saying you are necessarily rejected, she was saying that you should look forward to next application cycle, as many have already expressed on this thread. It may seem harsh, but she speaks the truth- better to move forward than being stuck on this cycle leaving no time for improvements and then perhaps get stuck in the same predicament next year.

I know the waiting sucks. It really really does. You don't know where you might go, you don't know if you will be in vet school come August or if you will be doing something completely different. You simply don't know, and the unknown can be frightening, to say the least.

Try to keep your hopes up, and also try to process that this cycle may not work out, so work on getting file reviews, improving your application, and kicking next application cycle's tail.

You may not like to hear what DVMD is saying, but you would be wise to listen rather than disregard it just because she's being blunt. The fact is, she's speaking from experience and she's taking the time to pass along her experience to you, AND she's giving you solid advice about how to best move forward.

Anyway, you've made your plea to people. It's starting to sound pushy at this point. We all understand that it sucks to wait; but it is what it is and it's time for you to learn to be patient.

Other people got acceptances. You didn't (yet). It's time to face that fact, sit back, and wait it out. There's no other good option.

Good luck. Hopefully the waitlist(s) move far enough for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
KEMI provides housing and pays, although it is minimum wage, but it's still better than nothing, especially if that's all you're doing for six months. I love that you have the opportunity to work at some of the big name TB breeding farms, as eventually, I would like to do something related to the racing industry.

I would definitely be interested in hearing of other opportunities as well, though!
I was under the impression that the KEMI internship was a pay to participate thing, with the whole $2500 program fees and all. But if you want some of the info I have, shoot me a PM :)

Nope, its actually not unhelpful or rude. It's the honest truth. Sticking with hope isn't realistic. What if you don't get in this year? Then what? If you haven't changed anything why would they accept you next year?

Time to stop trying to control what you can't.

Reactions: 3 users
you are foolish if you think that what DVMdream said isn't helpful. you will have no one to blame but yourself if you end up rejected and without a plan. if your application package wasn't good enough to get you accepted straight off this year, what makes you think that not building upon and improving yourself as an applicant will make you any more likely to get accepted? correct me if i'm wrong (its been awhile since i had to apply), but until you have an acceptance, you are not going to veterinary school regardless of whether or not you are waitlisted.

no one is telling you to give up hope, but you do need to make a realistic plan for yourself. being able to set yourself up for the best possible outcome will be a very important skill to have, because this is not an easy career to be in (jobs are hard to find, good jobs are really hard to come by). its time to hike up your big kid pants and figure out how to make yourself the best candidate out there.

Reactions: 5 users
this is not an easy career to be in (jobs are hard to find, good jobs are really hard to come by). its time to hike up your big kid pants and figure out how to make yourself the best candidate out there.

But jmooooooooo..... I deserrrrrrve a job. Someone is supposed to give me a job! I have earned it!

I never said give up all hope. I didn't. I am saying you need to be realistic a waitlist position is not an acceptance or even a guarantee of one. At this point, it is time to get file reviews and begin improving your application.

You are a lot like I was back then with the don't worry about it, everything will work out. Well, it doesn't always. I wasted so much time sitting around hoping that first year that I would get off the waitlist and it didn't happen so the next year when I applied, I had nothing to show for it except a retake of the GRE and guess what? I was waitlisted, again. I am lucky I even got that looking back on it all. Don't make the same mistake I did. Improve now so that your second cycle (should you need to apply) gets you accepted right off.

You might not appreciate the bluntness now, but hopefully with time and thinking it through, you will understand. It isn't meant to be mean. Trust me, I have been in your shoes and the massive question mark about what will happen thoroughly sucks. I get it, but don't let that waiting and stress stop you from moving forward, it won't do you any good.

It is kind of like hoping you will win the lottery in order to pay off your debt instead of just getting a job and making sure you can pay of your debt.

But jmooooooooo..... I deserrrrrrve a job. Someone is supposed to give me a job! I have earned it!
yeah you just keep telling yourself that, and let us know how that goes for you ;) me thinks that being considered for a job does not equal having a job, yes? kind of like being waitlisted doesnt mean going to vet school? ;)

yeah you just keep telling yourself that, and let us know how that goes for you ;) me thinks that being considered for a job does not equal having a job, yes? kind of like being waitlisted doesnt mean going to vet school? ;)

Hmph. I'll have you know, I have offers. So there. I'm more in the "accepted into a few schools, waitlisted at others" category. ;)

I never said give up all hope. I didn't. I am saying you need to be realistic a waitlist position is not an acceptance or even a guarantee of one. At this point, it is time to get file reviews and begin improving your application.

You are a lot like I was back then with the don't worry about it, everything will work out. Well, it doesn't always. I wasted so much time sitting around hoping that first year that I would get off the waitlist and it didn't happen so the next year when I applied, I had nothing to show for it except a retake of the GRE and guess what? I was waitlisted, again. I am lucky I even got that looking back on it all. Don't make the same mistake I did. Improve now so that your second cycle (should you need to apply) gets you accepted right off.

You might not appreciate the bluntness now, but hopefully with time and thinking it through, you will understand. It isn't meant to be mean. Trust me, I have been in your shoes and the massive question mark about what will happen thoroughly sucks. I get it, but don't let that waiting and stress stop you from moving forward, it won't do you any good.

It is kind of like hoping you will win the lottery in order to pay off your debt instead of just getting a job and making sure you can pay of your debt.
So....you're telling me that's not a good strategy?

Hmph. I'll have you know, I have offers. So there. I'm more in the "accepted into a few schools, waitlisted at others" category. ;)
well you should turn down those jobs then so that those who dont have one but were in the considered applicants pool can have a chance ;)

An offer from the "white panel vans anonymous company" does not count.

Dude, I OWN that company. How do you think I financed vet school?

well you should turn down those jobs then so that those who dont have one but were in the considered applicants pool can have a chance ;)

Well played, jmo, well played.

Reactions: 4 users
Even though it is the only way I (we) will be able to pay off our debt before death, no, it is not a good strategy.
Stop with the realism :arghh:

But really. My actual plan is to win all of those expensive prizes in arcade claw games, then sell them on Amazon or something. I should be fine.