To those who have been admitted to dental school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjackson

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a question, I finished my undergrad in civil engineering, then went back to school and did my postbach in bio, I took the following classes: chem1 and 2, ochem1 and 2, cell bio, genetics, molecular bio, physiology, biochemistry, intermediate cell biology, and human development, are these classes good enough to start my dental education with going into dental school? am I really behind the curve compared to some of my classmates who are biology majors and have taken more bio classes than I? I did A's all my classes, but I am kind of worried that I did not take enough to boost my bio knowledge. what do you guys think?

I will be attending Upenn this upcomming fall.

Members don't see this ad.

Short answer, No.

Long answer, No.

Good luck with school!

No I did not take enough classes or no I am not much behind?

Members don't see this ad :)
I did engineering as an undergraduate also, then returned to school and took chem, ochem, bio, microbio, cell and molecular bio, biochem, and not much else. That was all I needed, along with a bunch of extracurriculars. I think I may be slightly behind bio majors in my first year of dental school, but I am not too worried about that. I think you are fine, but you might want to listen to the opinions of others who may have a better idea.

Don't sweat it. ... I was a history major and will be joining you at Penn this fall.

I've asked a lot of current Penn students your question. ... All responded that I shouldn't worry and that I should enjoy my last summer off. ... The science courses you'll be taking at Penn are geared toward the practice of dentistry, so no one in the room is going to already have a COMPLETE understanding of the material before taking the class ...

See you in August.

I don't know why anyone would say no, don't listen to columbia. you wouldn't have been accepted to PENN if they thought you were ill-prepared. Cell, intermediate cell, biochem, physiology you will be fine. The classes you took are a big chunk of a regualar biology curriculum anyway. There are a lot of biology classes your friends took which won't really help them with d-school. Evolution, ecology, ect.. Good luck, you sound like you are already a success.

I don't know why anyone would say no, don't listen to columbia. you wouldn't have been accepted to PENN if they thought you were ill-prepared. Cell, intermediate cell, biochem, physiology you will be fine. The classes you took are a big chunk of a regualar biology curriculum anyway. There are a lot of biology classes your friends took which won't really help them with d-school. Evolution, ecology, ect.. Good luck, you sound like you are already a success.

I didn't mean to confuse anyone here. My answers were in response to his question, "am I really behind the curve compared to some of my classmates who are biology majors and have taken more bio classes than I?"

The classes you've taken are more than adequate to prepare you for dental school.

Good Luck!

Research the schools you plan to apply to. Some require more science pre-requisites than others. Go to the school websites, and they will spell out their requirements.

Research the schools you plan to apply to. Some require more science pre-requisites than others. Go to the school websites, and they will spell out their requirements.

I think the OP is already accepted and just a little aprehensive about his preparedness.

Don't be worried. They wouldn't have accepted you if you weren't ready. I've heard from a few students that sometimes people that didn't take a lot of science classes in their undergrad or take heavy loads during the semester struggled a little bit more at the beginning than someone who majored in molec bio. It can be a little bit of an adjustment, but at the end everyone does fine. Don't be worried!! They'll teach you what you need to know. Enjoy your summer before school starts!