To those who interviewed at UDM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snooper92

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just wanted to ask those who interviewed at UDM if they could share their opinions about the school and surrounding environment.

I have a December interview, but am debating whether or not to go. Is the school in a bad neighborhood? I also heard that they don't have many specialty programs there?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

UDM is not in a great neighborhood, but the dental school moved this year (last year?) and the new facility is great. Also the urban setting of UDM will provide for great clinical experiences. The dental school is right off a major freeway, so you can easily live in a decent neighborhood in a suburb and commute within 25-30 minutes. The faculty and staff at UDM are very caring and involved in the students' education. I'm not sure if you have any other interviews or acceptances, but I have been accepted at UDM and UofMich; I'm interested in general dentistry and I'm having a hard time deciding.

MDK,

Thanks for the response...I am not a Michigan resident.

Actually, I am waiting to hear from U. Mich because I interviewed with them in November. I am most likely, interested in specializing.

Are you saying that the school is no longer in the bad neighborhood? How far away from the original location did it move?

I've been accepted to Case and it is one of my top choices, so I wonder if it's worth it to still see UDM....

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have been accepted at one of your top choices then that changes things. Since I've been accepted at my top two choices. I've withdrawn from other interviews. I figure that other people could take the interview spot. The UDM dental school has moved about 10 miles from original location. It is closer to downtown now. Good luck with your decision.

UDM is def worth checking out. I interviewed at 10 schools and they probably had the best facilities I saw. They have more than enough seats per person, plus all the latest gadgets, and an endless supply of desperate patients. They are in an awful neighborhood, but its 20 minutes away from Royal Oak, which is really fun young party town.

UDM is def worth checking out. I interviewed at 10 schools and they probably had the best facilities I saw. They have more than enough seats per person, plus all the latest gadgets, and an endless supply of desperate patients. They are in an awful neighborhood, but its 20 minutes away from Royal Oak, which is really fun young party town.
Hey tjdent, I see you have been accepted at UDM & UofM (among others) as well, have you narrowed down your decision?

actually Im leaning towards UCSF because I love the idea of P/F grading, San Fran is one of my favorite cities, and you can be in-state after one year. However, UDM would be my #2.

I like UDM over UMich because its very nice and concentrates on what I think is best for me, becoming a good clinician. Also, I had heard how people said the UDM profs really care about the students, and I actually witnessed this first hand. At my UDM interview a girl student actually ran into the office crying because someone had stolen her backpack (welcome to Detroit). The prof stopped the interview and consoled her for like 10 minutes. Then he gave her the name of the person she should go see to get her lost notes and equipment, etc. At Michigan they wouldn't have helped, they would have called you stupid for letting that happen to you then gotten back to their electrophoresis gels and ELISA assays.