To Type or Not to Type....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MsDNA

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
What is the consensus for submitting secondaries that are not computer based; to type with a typewriter, or attach a computer typed version? I want to give them what they want, but the time and frustration of working with a typewriter is not my idea of fun. What are you doing????
:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Good question...does it really mattter? Seems like if you have what they want, you'll get in either way. If you're borderline, I don't think it will hurt you but just because you typed your application doesn't mean they'll accept you. So do it if you can, but if you can't....oh well, they're not going to toss your app because you didn't type it.

funny experience I had with that this year...

I spend hours lining up the text to print on the application. Ran xxx demo runs to make sure it came out perfect... Then I put the application in the printer wrong - and poof! I printed page #1 of text onto page #4 of application (and upside down!). Umm... OOooppsss? :(

Anyway, I scanned in pages #1-#3, and filled them out. Page #4 I recreated with Adobe Acrobat and Word to a small-resemblance of the original application. Printed it all out, and sent it in with a post-it note say what happened.

If they accepted that, then I'm sure type/print is not that significant....

Remember to always load the paper the right way!! :p

-A

Members don't see this ad :)
Try crayon or finger paint, either one will REALLY make your aplication stand out from the rest!!! :D :D :D

Don't laugh... After I screwed up that one, I serious considered it... :rolleyes: Just to see what WOULD happen.... :p

-A

If you can work it with a computer and get everything aligned properly, go for it. It might just be easier to find a typewriter and do it the "old fashioned" way.... as long as it is not handwritten.

Somewhere,someone got this notion that handwritten documents are all bad.... and I always thought it was just the illegible ones. Go figure!!

I'd always go with a typewriter since spacing a computer printout can be tricky.

When I applied I didn't have a typewriter handy so I just handwrote both my AACOMAS and AMCAS and handwrote all the AMCAS seondaries. The one AACOMAS secondary was from NYCOM, which you complete while you're at the interview. Anyway, in the end I think I got into the schools my grades and scores were gonna get me into whether I handwrote the applications or had James Earl Jones deliver it verbally to the AdComs.

I don't know if this facility is available to you all, but check your local public library. My one has an excellent typewriter that is free of charge, and it is really awesome and has correcter features. It is a really expensive IBM typewriter.If this doesn't work u may want to check Kinko's. It is also free of charge (I think). Hope this helps. :D :D :D :D :D