1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Toastmasters - Only for Losers?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by todpose, Jun 4, 2008.

1. todpose

Removed

I'm considering joining a Toastmasters in my area.
    But someone I know said to me that Toastmasters is only for losers and/or socially inept, implying that this activity will not really help.
    Do you agree with him?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Ginzo

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Strong public speaking and communication skills are not commonly held and very useful to just about any professional, including doctors. Toastmasters is a really inexpensive way to try to improve yourself in these areas. What could it hurt? If they wind up creeping you out, just quit.

4. james1988

Removed

Pre-Medical
    what is toastmasters?

5. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Agree. Although Toastmasters is but one public speaking course option. There are many, some better than others. OP, this "someone you know" is not a person you should be taking advice from.

6. Doublecortin

5+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    not necessarily, there are different clubs that have totally different membership and totally different flavors. There are certainly some that you've described . . . the best way is to go to a bunch of different clubs and see which one you like

7. todpose

Removed

Okay, this is it. I'm going to start going to Toastmasters within the next two weeks.
    For those of you who have done this in the past or are doing this right now, because each club can be very different depending on group leaders and members in it, what are some great ways of finding the one that is the best?
    I'm planning on trying out every club in my area (that takes < 30 min by car from my home) to pick the best one possible.
    I'd really appreciate it if those with experience could suggest some tips on doing this. (ex. clubs at evenings VS mornings VS afternoons, clubs with mostly old people (36-50+) VS mostly young (15-35) people, clubs with certain number of members, clubs with long VS short establishment history (some clubs were established in the very past (1900 or before) and others are very young (established after 2000)), etc......)

8. BigRedder

BigRedder Passing Gas
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Totally for losers. Cool people go with Kitchenaid or Cuisinart.

9. flaahless

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Beat me to it.