Today I realized that Teams is over.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deschutes

Thing
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today the full realization came to me - <span style="font-style:italic;">Teams is over</span>.

Today, all of a sudden, all this time on my hands - and I need not go back to Unit 36 with a huge fake smile on my face, tomorrow or ever again, except to visit.

At the busstop this morning I looked at the sunrise, and really <span style="font-style:italic;">saw </span>the pale gold-grey clouds in the east, for the first time in weeks.

I met a classmate on the elevator ride. She was on surgery and I never saw anyone more chipper post-call, after a month of waking up at 4:30am.
She must really like surgery, I thought.
"So you regularly wake up at 4:30 then?" I asked.
"Good God no! The reason I'm so chipper now is because today is the end of my last call night!!"

During the lunch hour I realized that not all who do Internal are happy.
There was the story of the clerk who got asked what her career aspirations were. She said Psych, and the attending proceeded to fill out her evaluation form with "At Expected Level"s.

In the evening I ran into a pathologist, who asked me how I was.
Seen better days, I said.
Just the 3rd month of an interminable Internal Med rotation, I said.
Oho, he said, Pathology is easy - that's what you're implying, isn't it??!
No, I said wryly, I am saying I would rather work 20 hours a day doing something I liked.

Today I realized that it really all is so very small, these silly people called general medicine attending physicians, with their sad lives trying to make my life as sad as theirs.

Today I am not guilty to feel glad that Teams is over - that the worst of Internal Medicine is over.

Today I am free!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

What will you do with all of this newly acquired free time? Perhaps you can conduct a study on the sensitivity of the physical exam at diagnosing asthma.

You should have seen me on my last day of surgery. I was downright giddy. I had signed up for my 5th lap gastric bypass with the surgical team that I most liked working with (because I didn't want to spend my last day being berated by the instrument thrower or the taunter). And I had to hold my tongue because I kept making them all laugh and lengthening the procedure. I was on a roll that day. At the end of the case he was like, "are you sure you don't want to go into surgery? I'll write you a good letter." And I said thanks but no thanks.

My last day of OB was a bit different - just as I was about to leave at 3pm or so, I got dragged into a hysterectomy.

Congratulations! You have ascended into the light! Put on your rose-colored glasses and gaze at the glory of life!

yaah said:
What will you do with all of this newly acquired free time?
My housemate and her boyfriend were attempting a sangria alongside of Mexican.

The final concoction involved a bottle of red wine and brandy in liberal splashes.

I did the only right thing to do, weekdays and liver drugs be damned.

Looks like I will sleep well tonight ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
deschutes said:

The final concoction involved a bottle of red wine and brandy in liberal splashes.

I should sleep well tonight too. Unfortunately it is already nearly one thirty and given that I normally wake up at about 5, I am in deep trouble. I don't have to get up early tomorrow. I am back home for a wedding. But alas, I probably still will.

I ask this though, is there anything worse than coming home and finding a COUPLE is there? When the COUPLE is present, the individuals will cease being themselves and become the collective entity known as the COUPLE. Starting to refer to themselves as "we."

yaah said:
I ask this though, is there anything worse than coming home and finding a COUPLE is there? When the COUPLE is present, the individuals will cease being themselves and become the collective entity known as the COUPLE. Starting to refer to themselves as "we."
The couple known as my parents I always like to see ;)
"We" has yet to annoy me as much as frequent repetitions of "S/He says".

Your situation is interesting. You fly home for a wedding and yet sound surprised to find a COUPLE is there.

Well, my anti-COUPLE comments are mostly directed at those who have yet to be married. Once people get married they become much more palatable. It is the single people who act as though they won't survive without each other that bother me. Married people are usually more of individuals with separate thoughts.

We're going to get ice cream and go to the movie.
I thought we were going to stay in and watch the game?
No, we're going to the movie. We decided that last week.
We did?
Yup.
How about you call your friend and go to the movie with her, and I stay and watch the game?
Don't you love me? girl passes out

deschutes said:

Woohoo! And I bet you feel faaaaan-tastic!

It does feel great when teams finally ends...tears roll down my eyes now as I see the M3's and M4's stroll in the hall in medicine teams. I can only imagine what they're feeling.

And yaah, you didn't take that surgeon up on that letter? I guess you had enough letters from path already...I mean we can only have up to 4 letters max per program. Plus surgery LOR's are probably similar to surgery notes...short, to the point, form letters :p

The last surgery I attended was a laparoscopic parathyroidectomy.