May 31, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
Hi everybody:

Does anybody know what is the cut-off for the TOEFL score for someone who is not a native English speaker? Two of the schools asked for a TOEFL from me but I don't have enough time to study. I have registered for August 22. Please let me know if anyone knows the answer.

Thanks

medicalCPA

Actually, it's medicalCPA, PhD now
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2007
NYC, Baby!
Status
Medical Student
Hi everybody:

Does anybody know what is the cut-off for the TOEFL score for someone who is not a native English speaker? Two of the schools asked for a TOEFL from me but I don't have enough time to study. I have registered for August 22. Please let me know if anyone knows the answer.

Thanks
If you are already an undergraduate in the US, I'm surprised that the schools you're applying to still require you to submit the TOEFL. Many will waive this requirement if they know you have received university level instruction in an English speaking country. It wouldn't hurt to ask the schools if they could waive this. If they do, that's one less exam for you to worry about.

Jun 9, 2009
Status
some schools will require you to take the TOEFL if you were born in a country where English is not the official language, if professors have made no exceptions. this was the case with me, even though i lived in the US for 11 years and went to elementary school, middle school, high school, and college in the US. if you are fluent in english, you'll be fine and the TOEFL will not be difficult at all.

my school said that i needed at least 20 (out of 30 maximum on the internet based test) on each of the four sections (reading, listening, writing, and speaking). So they required a minimum of 80 (out of 120 maximum on the iBT). i ended up scoring 110 without studying for it. as long as you speak clearly, pay attention, and answer the best you can, you'll get a good enough score on the TOEFL.

OP

May 31, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
Thank you so much, crazybob, good information. Wish you success and happiness!

I wish

10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
Is that possible to get away with the Toefl test? (besides calling school directly, I would like to see anyone has done different way before.)

Thank you.

calisoca

10+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2008
Status
Pharmacy Student
Is that possible to get away with the Toefl test? (besides calling school directly, I would like to see anyone has done different way before.)

Thank you.

Ehh, what?

calisoca

10+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2008
Status
Pharmacy Student
Someone had asked the same question before though but I could not find that thread again. Don't be surprise Calisoca !:laugh:

Hrmm, okie doke.

themulya

more specific than amulya
10+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2009
Texas
Status
Pharmacy Student

Thank you.
The best policy is to always play it safe. The only way to know exactly what a school wants is to ask that school. You don't want to take someones advice on the board and then have a school withdraw your acceptance because you didn't do what they asked.

Anyways heres a thread where someone asked about the TOEFL.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=191084&highlight=TOEFL
You'll notice that many people said you don't have to take it if you have a BS from a US institution. However, one poster said that even though he had a BS the school still made him take the test. Point is, call your school.

I wish

10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
The best policy is to always play it safe. The only way to know exactly what a school wants is to ask that school. You don't want to take someones advice on the board and then have a school withdraw your acceptance because you didn't do what they asked.

Anyways heres a thread where someone asked about the TOEFL.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=191084&highlight=TOEFL
You'll notice that many people said you don't have to take it if you have a BS from a US institution. However, one poster said that even though he had a BS the school still made him take the test. Point is, call your school.
Thank you.