Toledo MSBS 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sbeezie

Reaction score
Several acceptances should have been rolled out by this time and I don't see a current thread, so I'm starting one for the current Toledo MSBS application cycle if anyone wants to chime in who is applying or from a previous class (particularly class of 2021 grads).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does this program offer a guarenteed acceptance or interview? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone has questions, I’m a current student and am happy to answer whatever I can.

We don't interview until sometime in March or April and don't find out until sometime around May if we've gotten in. For last year, all but a couple students who started the program made it through and were interviewed, and I think somewhere around 60-70% of students ended up attending UT for med school.

Is the interview given for med school entry directly after completing the program or is there a gap year?

Is the interview given for med school entry directly after completing the program or is there a gap year?

Directly after! Which is really nice. One of the big reasons some of us chose this program is because if you’re accepted you start med school a little bit after program ends, instead of having to wait a whole year.

Directly after! Which is really nice. One of the big reasons some of us chose this program is because if you’re accepted you start med school a little bit after program ends, instead of having to wait a whole year.
That's awesome! That's a big advantage over other smps/postbacs

Accidentally clicked on this forum for first time in years and saw Toledo.

I did this program. Years ago. Now just an attending ER doc without a care in the world for applications. I doubt I could really offer much in terms of helps since I imagine the entire curriculum (MSBS and med school itself) have changed so much since I did it. Man it's been almost 10 years....

Man I remember having to care about this ****. Good luck to all. Worked out well for me, got my dream job in my dream city.

Reactions: 2 users
I was accepted yesterday to this program. Super quick turnaround time, application complete Friday, accepted Monday morning.

Reactions: 1 users
Are you going to attend?
At this point, it seems pretty likely I will attend unless of course I get accepted to med school somewhere this cycle (low chance). I like this program and I live in Ohio so it's at the top of my choices.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I have a question on letters of rec for the MSBS program. The app says you only need one letter but I was wondering who/how many you all applied with!

Hi! I have a question on letters of rec for the MSBS program. The app says you only need one letter but I was wondering who/how many you all applied with!
Hey, I applied to UTCOM this cycle so I was able to transfer all my AMCAS information, including letters of rec, to my MSBS application and that worked! Sorry I can't be more help!

Hey, I applied to UTCOM this cycle so I was able to transfer all my AMCAS information, including letters of rec, to my MSBS application and that worked! Sorry I can't be more help!
Thanks! I’m planning to apply this month and just wanted to get a gauge of how many letters would be acceptable.

Hi everyone, I got accepted into this program last month. For those in the program, is there a particular MCAT score I should shoot for to help boost my med school admissions chances? I am currently in the process of studying for a re-take in June and want to get it done before the program begins in mid-to-late August.

Congrats on your acceptance! It’s hard to put a number on it because there are a lot of factors they consider as far as acceptance to the med school goes. Some people do well in the program, are strong in other areas, and have meh MCAT scores and are still accepted. Though the term ‘wholistic’ is thrown around a lot in med school admissions, they really do seem to take everything into account (volunteering, clinical experience, good app, etc) when deciding on admission into the program. From my limited knowledge, I’d say your minimum should be low 500s, upper 500s is better, and 510 or above would put you at an advantage, though of course your gpa and other factors go into it as well. I believe the average for last year’s class was a 507. Not sure what my class’s average is as of yet.

Honestly though if you use the right resources, a good MCAT score is super attainable. I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed but ended up getting a decent MCAT score by using the right resources. Message me if you’d like any tips/pointers and I’d be happy to help!

I was accepted yesterday to this program. Super quick turnaround time, application complete Friday, accepted Monday morning.
Did you mail your transcripts or did they accept them through email? I am having a hard time getting my school to mail them since everyone is remote right now

Hey guys, hope everyone is doing well. I was just wondering if there is perhaps anything you are doing to prepare for Toledo's program? Or pehaps any info you may have/know about the living situation options in Toledo, etc? Thanks in advance.

I got accepted as well! I had a question - does your undergraduate gpa play a role in the decision to matriculate to the MD program? My gpa is not very high

I am thinking about applying, and I wanted to ask what is the tuition cost for the year and how much would you presumably need to spend in this year? Also can you use fafsa for this?

I got accepted as well! I had a question - does your undergraduate gpa play a role in the decision to matriculate to the MD program? My gpa is not very high
I am pretty sure as long as its above a 3.0 (granted you got accepted in the program) your performance in the masters is weighed more heavily!

does anyone know if there is a specific date we need to inform our decision by?

Hey guys,

I have question with regards to applicants who have successfully completed the program. Do you guys know if there are any statistics available for access in terms of the success rate of this program for the last year or the span of a couple of years? In particular, if there are such stats available for those students who completed this program and matriculated directly to Toledo's Medical School or other medical school programs?

I feel it's very important to know in terms of the benefit of pursuing this program.

Has anyone gotten any post-acceptance communication at all from this program besides official credentials? I haven't gotten any emails from the program or the school at all, and I was wondering if that was just me. Also, when should housing searching start?

does anyone know if there is a specific date we need to inform our decision by?
Just jumping in this thread, when I emailed Dr. Vazquez he said that accepted applicants have 2 weeks since the date printed on the offer letter.

Has anyone gotten any post-acceptance communication at all from this program besides official credentials? I haven't gotten any emails from the program or the school at all, and I was wondering if that was just me. Also, when should housing searching start?
I haven't either and I don't know if I should be emailing and asking the program or if that would be annoying and I should just wait. All I've done so far is complete the online orientation module. I have no idea about housing.

I haven't either and I don't know if I should be emailing and asking the program or if that would be annoying and I should just wait. All I've done so far is complete the online orientation module. I have no idea about housing.
When I spoke with Anita, she said she has a catalog of housing options she sends over to all accepted students. However, I was accepted when she told me this and didnt send it to me hahah so I am not sure

Hi all, former MSBSer - now M1 at UT here. Feel free to reach out with any questions you might have about the grad program/med school

Hi all, former MSBSer - now M1 at UT here. Feel free to reach out with any questions you might have about the grad program/med school
Do you know the percentage of your class that matriculated to UT? Also, what questions should I be prepared for during the interview for UT med school?

Do you know the percentage of your class that matriculated to UT? Also, what questions should I be prepared for during the interview for UT med school?
As far as matriculation percentage goes, I've since forgotten the exact percentage but almost everybody got in who met eligibility, so that was cool.

As far as questions go, it changes year to year, and there really isn't a one size fits all strategy for anticipating questions. The best advice I can give is to have a personal brand (as cheesy as it sounds). Come knowing what core traits or characteristics you want them to know you by, and tailor your answers so that when they look at your interview, your app, and body of work, you have a strong and coherent message about who you are and what you bring to the table.

I have a 501 MCAT(126/122/128/125) and I was accepted to the program. I have a decent GPA and clinical experience but I am afraid that I might need to retake. Would my score be enough to get in the program given good performance in the program? I heard the number 502 getting thrown in there but if there is any chance I retake and do worse I don't want to risk it. If you could provide any insight, please let me know!
I would email Dr. Vasquez who is in charge of the program. When I was in your shoes 2 years ago (man I feel old typing that) I emailed him similar questions and he gave me one of the most thorough answers I've ever received. That's advice we pass down to MSBSers in general: if you want an answer that you know is going to be honest, ask Dr. Vasquez.

does anyone know if there is a fee required for accepting the offer? I am still waiting on other schools but just don't have $500 (other schools asked for this) extra to just save a seat and not get them back.

does anyone know if there is a fee required for accepting the offer? I am still waiting on other schools but just don't have $500 (other schools asked for this) extra to just save a seat and not get them back.
There wasn't a fee during my year, and I haven't heard anything about them changing it since!

Hi! I am applying to the program but my MCAT diagnostics are not the best. Testing 4/10- do you think I have a chance of acceptance into the program? Looking to retake in August.

I didn't have a fee to accept my seat (this cycle). You just send an email.

Hi! I am applying to the program but my MCAT diagnostics are not the best. Testing 4/10- do you think I have a chance of acceptance into the program? Looking to retake in August.
I would ask the program director Dr. Vasquez, or ask Dr. Easterly as well. People have gone into the MSBS program needing to retake the MCAT and have done just fine though.

I didn't have a fee to accept my seat (this cycle). You just send an email.
I think I did the same,I just sent it as a reply to andrews deborah... No fees, unless I am missing something

I think I did the same,I just sent it as a reply to andrews deborah... No fees, unless I am missing something
I don’t think you’re missing anything. I did the same and got an email in return saying “thank you for submitting your letter of intent.” It didn’t say anything about a fee

I don’t think you’re missing anything. I did the same and got an email in return saying “thank you for submitting your letter of intent.” It didn’t say anything about a fee
Thank you!! I haven't gotten the email yet, butaybe they will send it soon...

Thank you!! I haven't gotten the email yet, butaybe they will send it soon...
Anytime! It took a few days to receive the email. I sent my reply on a Sat and got the thank you email on a Tuesday

I would ask the program director Dr. Vasquez, or ask Dr. Easterly as well. People have gone into the MSBS program needing to retake the MCAT and have done just fine though.
I have reached out! I am just very nervous! The program is becoming quite popular. Thank you :)

I have reached out! I am just very nervous! The program is becoming quite popular. Bless you :)
Best of luck! Please feel free to reach out with any other questions you might have over the next few months.

Anytime! It took a few days to receive the email. I sent my reply on a Sat and got the Bless you email on a Tuesday
Ok maybe I am going crazy or some of my posts have different or wired words being used. Like I don't remember using bless you in my last reply but idk maybe I was sleep typing?

I accepted my offer last week but didnt get an answer back. The same for you?