Toledo vs. MCW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NGemZeld63

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I really appreciate any input available! I am finishing up my undergrad at the University of Toledo, which is also my hometown. Before undergrad, I served in the Marine Corps and am eligible for the GI Bill.

University of Toledo College of Medicine
Pros
  • With GI Bill, tuition will be covered 100% since it is a public school
  • I am already very established in Toledo/have many friends in area
  • Very cheap cost of living
  • Great facilities/simulation center
  • Overall good school with a solid match list from what I can tell
Cons
  • Slightly lower ranking/reputation that MCW (at least from what I have researched)
  • I would ideally like to get away from the Toledo area for a few years and explore new cities
  • Toledo doesn't have the greatest LGBTQ+ scene
Medical College of Wisconsin
Pros
  • Reputation/ranking seems to exceed that of Toledo
  • Milwaukee seems like a great town/better LGBTQ+ scene than Toledo
  • Relatively cheap cost of living
  • Fantastic research opportunities!
Cons
  • Since it is a private school, the GI Bill will only cover a bit over a third of tuition, leaving me to pay ~30k a year in tuition (still have the possibility for other scholarships/grants though!)
  • Would have to completely relocate (honestly wouldn't mind that too much)
I am very torn between the two schools. I could honestly see myself excelling at either and was impressed by both. Thank you for your time and thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Very hard to pass up a full ride to an MD. Toledo hands down imo. The ranking difference here (if there even is one) is not worth 120k + interest

Reactions: 1 users
A lot going for both schools, looks like a decision between money vs. moving to a new city/slightly better reputation. Honestly comes down to what matters most for you. Probably depends somewhat on your specialty interests, as a more competitive/higher-paying specialty would merit more consideration on ranking, while a less competitive/lower-paying specialty would do the opposite. Either way you have some incredible choices. Congrats future doctor!

Reactions: 1 user
I think it would be better to go to MCW b/c it has a lot more research opportunities and it's a new environment. Especially since Step 1 is P/F now, prestige, ranking, and research will matter more than before IMO. Much like you, I grew up in the same place for most of my life but moved to a new city recently and it has been a very fun and exciting experience overall. Also, I wouldn't worry too much about money as 120k in loans can be paid off fairly easily within 1-2 years after residency.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I'm a current UT student and I objectively think Toledo might be better option. You can definitely do research here (I'm en route to publish at least 6 pubs before my M3 year, counting only my pubs during my time at Toledo). And finishing medical school debt free is such an immense relief and will allow for great flexibility. You don't have to live like a resident for the next 5-10 years and that attending money is truly yours from day 1, which is something many people can only dream about. Family support is also important during medical school, and so I you might feel more supported at Toledo.

If the only thing stopping you is research, DM me and I would be willing to provide you some more help to talk specifics and tailor some advice to your own personal career goals. I do think it's a bit silly to choose another school vs. being debt free just because of research opportunities. It really comes down to paying 150k just so you can have a few more pubs come residency. You can still very much achieve the same amount of research productivity at Toledo if you try just a little bit harder (and I can help with that) compared to MCW, but you're saving a lot of money.

And yeah, the LGBTQ scene might not be the best, but I think if I were in your position, after weighing the pros and cons, that would be something I might be willing to sacrifice. But that's just my opinion.

Reactions: 1 users
I don’t think the research opportunity differences (if there tangibly are any) or reputation are worth the 120k+ cost of MCW.

Now your personal consideration with regards to the location and LGBTQ scene are up to you to decide. I would more understand a decision to pay more based on this rather than the research point.