Too early for comlex 3 prep...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DennisReynolds

Reaction score
Was thinking about purchasing UWorld for comlex 3 prep? Is UW still used for comlex 3 prep? What do you guys recommend?

Also,I'm planning on going into IM and need a good source of info to stay up on stuff? I was able to find the MKSAP 18 for internal medicine. Was thinking about reading 20 pages a day this year to just keep up to date on knowledge? Any thoughts from current IM residents?

Basically... wtf are we supposed to study this year.

:(

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’m not doing any Uworld for level 3. You’re taking step 3? You did CS? Why did you do that to yourself?

Anyways, I’m only doing comquest. It was great for level 1&2 and everyone I know who took level 3 and only used it, loved it.
This is my plan as well. Uworld is great, but not needed for level 3. Its a pass fail test in effect.

Wait, why are you taking Step 3 as a DO?

Members don't see this ad :)
Jesus guys. Don't get ur panties in a twist.

I am not taking step 3.

My question was HOW DO WE STUDY FOR COMLEX 3? Do we use UWORLD? Should I buy Uworld and get started on it? Or are we using that crappy ass TrueLearn Qbank?

Reactions: 1 users
Jesus guys. Don't get ur panties in a twist.

I am not taking step 3.

My question was HOW DO WE STUDY FOR COMLEX 3? Do we use UWORLD? Should I buy Uworld and get started on it? Or are we using that crappy ass TrueLearn Qbank?
COMQuest, not COMBANK which has always sucks. COMQuest and Uworld are made by the same company. COMBANK/truelearn is its own thing and is terrible.
You have two votes for COMQuest with nothing else for prep for level 3.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 user
COMQuest, not COMBANK which has always sucks. COMQwest and Uworld are made by the same company. COMBANK/truelearn is its own thing and is terrible.
You have two votes for COMQuest in this thread with nothing else for prep.

uggghhhhhhhhhhhhh.

COMQuest, not COMBANK which has always sucks. COMQwest and Uworld are made by the same company. COMBANK/truelearn is its own thing and is terrible.
You have two votes for COMQuest in this thread with nothing else for prep.

*Barely contained nervous and/or enraged laughter* Haha, wait WHAT? If that's true my school paying for COMBANK is even more confusing in retrospect.

Also can someone explain how Step 3 vs. Level 3 works? I was under the impression you take whichever one is recommended by the program you match to. With the residency merger, I have no idea how that works now.

Reactions: 3 users
*Barely contained nervous and/or enraged laughter* Haha, wait WHAT? If that's true my school paying for COMBANK is even more confusing in retrospect.

Also can someone explain how Step 3 vs. Level 3 works? I was under the impression you take whichever one is recommended by the program you match to. With the residency merger, I have no idea how that works now.
You cannot take step 3 unless you have taken all prior steps including CS. So 99.9% of DO's will not take Step 3.

Level 3 is what is required by all 50 states for you to practice medicine independently as a DO. Its not optional, you must take it. Program directors have no influence on this. Yes you have to go over chatmans points one more time after med school.

Reactions: 2 users
You cannot take step 3 unless you have taken all prior steps including CS. So 99.9% of DO's will not take Step 3.

Level 3 is what is required by all 50 states for you to practice medicine independently as a DO. Its not optional, you must take it. Program directors have no influence on this. Yes you have to go over chatmans points one more time after med school.

I would like your response because it is informative. But I will not like your post because I do not like what I am hearing.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I would like your response because it is informative. But I will not like your post because I do not like what I am hearing.
Lol, its always a little funny/sad when I run into someone who thinks they are done with COMLEX after graduation and can just take Step 3. Its funny they thought they could get out of it, but its sad how distraught they look when they find out that level 3 isn't optional. Thats like telling a kid 'guess what, you can't be anything you want Johnny, your ceiling is 'do you want fries with that.'' You feel bad for them, but you still laugh.

Lol, its always a little funny/sad when I run into someone who thinks they are done with COMLEX after graduation and can just take Step 3. Its funny they thought they could get out of it, but its sad how distraught they look when they find out that level 3 isn't optional. Thats like telling a kid 'guess what, you can't be anything you want Johnny, your ceiling is 'do you want fries with that.'' You feel bad for them, but you still laugh.

Just like our DO programs tell us ... "YOU CAN DO ANYTHINGGG YOU WANTTT... but we are gonna jam so much goddamn OPP and useless ass modules during board time and limit your research time and make you do 8 weeks of both internal med and family med and other primary care crap during 3rd and 4th year and limit your interview time so that you really will have no choice but to match into either FM, IM, Peds, and the select few will be doing psych, PM&R, surgery, and/or neuro."

Buncha damn fascists.

Do you need to be in a residency program to take level 3 now? Can’t take it before starting?

Do you need to be in a residency program to take level 3 now? Can’t take it before starting?

Good question.

I believe you need permission from your PD to take it which is bull**** because the MD residents I know, especially IMGs, took it during their year "off" after graduation.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You either need a residency or special permission from your dean after you graduate to take level 3.

Good question.

I believe you need permission from your PD to take it which is bull**** because the MD residents I know, especially IMGs, took it during their year "off" after graduation.
You either need a residency or special permission from your dean after you graduate to take level 3.

This is correct and is new as of this past year.

Earliest you can take it is September post graduation as far as I know. You won't have time for multiple resources. Comquest and get it over with.

Comquest or combank?

A lot of people say Comquest, I did Combank and did the best I had done on any of the Levels. I also had barely any time to study and got through maybe 600 questions over the course of the month leading up to the exam. Realistically, I don't think it matters. You're going to learn a lot in intern year anyway.

A lot of people say Comquest, I did Combank and did the best I had done on any of the Levels. I also had barely any time to study and got through maybe 600 questions over the course of the month leading up to the exam. Realistically, I don't think it matters. You're going to learn a lot in intern year anyway.

Other than pass/fail is Level/Step 3 used for anything? Fellowship apps?

Other than pass/fail is Level/Step 3 used for anything? Fellowship apps?

Maybe? Its easily the least important as far as scores go. It seems like research, recommendations, and networking are much more important than Step/Level 3 scores when it comes to fellowship applications. Passing is very important though. A lot of places limit progression in residency without it, and you certainly can't get independent licenses without it.

Schedule your COMLEX fall of intern year so you get it over with. Pick a question bank. Use said questions. Take a worthless pass/fail test. Move on with what's important after.

Earliest you can take it is September post graduation as far as I know. You won't have time for multiple resources. Comquest and get it over with.

This is incorrect. I took Level 3 about ten days after I graduated from school (in May). As soon as my transcript was verified by NBOME, I sent my attestation request to my PD, whom approved it same day (as I had coordinated with my PD to take it before intern year). That allowed me to schedule through the website. Got my score back about three weeks into intern year.

Used COMQUEST with some DIT videos and MTB as textbook. Did fine, >600. Studied for maybe two weeks, off and on.

This is incorrect. I took Level 3 about ten days after I graduated from school (in May). As soon as my transcript was verified by NBOME, I sent my attestation request to my PD, whom approved it same day (as I had coordinated with my PD to take it before intern year). That allowed me to schedule through the website. Got my score back about three weeks into intern year.

Used COMQUEST with some DIT videos and MTB as textbook. Did fine, >600. Studied for maybe two weeks, off and on.
Did you get reembursed for the cost of the exam tho?

Yes, $875 reimbursed from my program (they also reimburse for those that took a year off between graduating and beginning intern year).

MOTHEREFFING BOSSSS.

Brb. gonna go download comquest.

When was this? I believe this recently changed.

Yes, $875 reimbursed from my program (they also reimburse for those that took a year off between graduating and beginning intern year).

This may have worked for you, but everyone else can't assume it'll work for them. They have to confirm this with their program, because it is heavily program dependent. My program does not reimburse for any expenses prior to the official start date.

Can someone explain to me the point of taking COMLEX 3 so early?

Can someone explain to me the point of taking COMLEX 3 so early?
So you don't have to do it during intern year! The idea is to study for it at the end of your 4th year during your last chill month or two. Cons are that programs might not reimburse you for doing it early and you have to get approved to do it apparently.

Well thankfully one of the program directors to a place I'm applying to is my best friend's uncle who I had the pleasure of playing poker with last week.

Gonna get that spot AND get stupid ass comlex done before residency.

SUCK IT NBOME.

To each their own. But I would rather gouge my eyes out with a rusty spoon than spend a 3rd spring/summer in a row studying for boards.

I got approved by my PD as soon as NBOME sent the email right after match and could not schedule until September at the earliest. Also hoping you get reimbursed if you sign up for them is a big gamble. I'd wait until you actually start.

When was this? I believe this recently changed.

May 2019. Wanted to be able to spend any free time I had with my family rather than studying for Level 3. My PD was cool about it. Called PD, asked to take it after getting my diploma. PD approved, scheduled through NBOME/Prometric. Got scores back before starting adult inpatient rotation. Our corporate office had no problem reimbursing the exam, but I knew that ahead of time.

Like someone mentioned, I would just check with your program. I will say it is a definite burden that has been lifted and feels good concentrating on being a doc rather than studying for a non-ABFM board exam.

Edit: n=1. At the end of the day, the PD has to approve it, unless you fall in the category where your Dean can approve. Our program has a 100% first time pass rate on Step/Level 3 so the PD told me to pass first time. No excuses, play like a champion.

Last edited:
So you don't have to do it during intern year! The idea is to study for it at the end of your 4th year during your last chill month or two. Cons are that programs might not reimburse you for doing it early and you have to get approved to do it apparently.

And you miss out I relaxing during one of the best times of medical training. I'm glad I took it when I did, it prevented me from spending much extra time studying for it.