Too early to send update letter? Include other acceptances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sheemu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all, I was wait-listed by my top school mid-october. Since my interview with them in early August I have accomplished much in my job as an AmeriCorps VISTA for a healthcare organization, and I would like remind them of my continued commitment to their school as my top choice.

Is this too early to email an update letter? (just over a month after I received waitlist notification)? They said in their email "Candidates on our Wait List can be offered an acceptance anytime during the interview season but usually not until April. "

Should I mention that I have interviewed at several other schools but that this one still remains my favorite because of their student/staff culture? I will also be receiving a decision from a DO school in the next few days, if I receive an acceptance from them should I include something like "Despite receiving an acceptance from a different medical school, Your School remains my top pick"?

Thanks for the thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

hello all, I was wait-listed by my top school mid-october. Since my interview with them in early August I have accomplished much in my job as an AmeriCorps VISTA for a healthcare organization, and I would like remind them of my continued commitment to their school as my top choice.

Is this too early to email an update letter? (just over a month after I received waitlist notification)? They said in their email "Candidates on our Wait List can be offered an acceptance anytime during the interview season but usually not until April. "

Should I mention that I have interviewed at several other schools but that this one still remains my favorite because of their student/staff culture? I will also be receiving a decision from a DO school in the next few days, if I receive an acceptance from them should I include something like "Despite receiving an acceptance from a different medical school, Your School remains my top pick"?

Thanks for the thoughts!

So I'm going to reply with the caveat that I'm in a similar situation. Depending on the accomplishment in your job, as long as it's significant it will not hurt. This is if the school is receptive to updates. if they're not, do not send one. Including your acceptance at another school could, in my opinion, give you a bit more leverage (though I don't know for sure being it's a DO school). On the timing, the people I talked to believe that this is a fine time to send an update as long as you don't send an update too often. Finally, if you're interested, accepted.com offers free consultation and you can talk to them and discuss you're situation (that's what I did). Best of luck to you!