Too Early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clement

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If one applied on Sept 1, is it too early to start Emailing programs to express interest or whatnot? Would it just annoy them at this stage in the game and is that something that is more appropriate after you interview there?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're asking whether it's a good idea to start sending follow-up correspondence after applications have only been open for seven business days, the answer is a resounding no.

C'mon, folks. Lots of programs haven't even downloaded ERAS apps for the first time yet. Some programs won't be sending out invitations until the dean letter comes out on November 1st.

Sending out emails to programs a few days after applications are accepted gives the impression that you're either desperate or neurotic. Not qualities you want to associate with your app.

If one applied on Sept 1, is it too early to start Emailing programs to express interest or whatnot? Would it just annoy them at this stage in the game and is that something that is more appropriate after you interview there?

interview invites are around the corner. the fun usually picks up the 3rd week of september. :eek:

Way too early. Some med schools haven't uploaded transcripts yet, so don't be surprised if you haven't had a lot of invitations to interview. And a lot of programs haven't started a formal review-for-invitation process. The whole "minuet" of expressing interest, etc. is much like watching the mating dance of honeybees. Personally, I would resist being too forward in expressing interest until after you have visited and interviewed. It is possible to be so annoying that a program might not want you, even if you are a good candidate otherwise.

Way too early. Some med schools haven't uploaded transcripts yet, so don't be surprised if you haven't had a lot of invitations to interview. And a lot of programs haven't started a formal review-for-invitation process. The whole "minuet" of expressing interest, etc. is much like watching the mating dance of honeybees. Personally, I would resist being too forward in expressing interest until after you have visited and interviewed. It is possible to be so annoying that a program might not want you, even if you are a good candidate otherwise.

That answers my other question! I've noticed a couple of interview invites to programs I applied to (via SDN forums) but hadn't received any rejections myself, so was thinking I could follow up on that...However, my school is one that hasn't even uploaded our transcripts yet...So I guess I'll stay out of their hair for now. Guess I'm wondering if it's normal for programs to ever invite people with higher scores first without necessarily rejecting the rest of us that applied on the same day?

Do a search before posting. This exact same question is being discussed in another thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=762124.

-AT.

Fair enough...But what about my question regarding extension of invites (already) to some people that applied on the same date and no rejection for others?
Is this, at this point in time, in relation to scores (people with higher score get invited first) or more likely because your app is incomplete because your db school hasn't uploaded your transcript yet?

I pestered a few programs before i even applied. I just asked for clarifications regarding info on their website.:cool:

Some programs seem to not be bothered by it. I guess it will be easier if you have an interview scheduled nearby then you have the "I am going to be in town" excuse.

Is it too early to use the "i'm going to be in town excuse?"
I know from talking with friends that they've heard from other places in the same state, and I'd like to book the el cheapo flight and rentacar now...

Is it too early to use the "i'm going to be in town excuse?"
I know from talking with friends that they've heard from other places in the same state, and I'd like to book the el cheapo flight and rentacar now...

This is a perfectly reasonable request:
"I will be in the Raleigh-Durham area for a visiting sub-I at Duke. However, I am interested in UNC's program for reasons X and Y and was hoping to interview at both programs in the same trip. Would it be possible to schedule my UNC interview to coincide with that trip?"
Give the program coordinator a real reason for why you are calling. Just because you happen to be in town visiting friends or because you want to get a good rental car deal is not a real reason.

-AT.

I pestered a few programs before i even applied. I just asked for clarifications regarding info on their website.:cool:

This isn't considered 'pestering' by the way. It's a perfectly reasonable example of using the telephone to gather information.

-AT.

Fair enough...But what about my question regarding extension of invites (already) to some people that applied on the same date and no rejection for others?
Is this, at this point in time, in relation to scores (people with higher score get invited first) or more likely because your app is incomplete because your db school hasn't uploaded your transcript yet?

Who knows. There have been discussions in the past of all the various ways that programs can set their cutoffs. There are definitely some programs (at least, in my specialty) that are waiting on transcripts - and I've got another 1-2 weeks at least to wait on that myself. So you may very well qualify based on Step score(s), but just have what they consider to be an "incomplete" application. As for rejections, I believe that most programs never send out rejections - better to keep a big pool of people waiting in limbo in case they have an interview spot open up on Jan 25, ya know? That being said, I am planning to consider myself permanently waitlisted/rejected once my application has been complete (with everything but MSPE at this point) for a few weeks and I see offers going out to others and not me. And definitely by mid to late Nov (especially for those programs that wait for MSPE) I'll consider it over, too.