wigglytooth

Assistant Wiggle-ator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Guys I just read this article and it kind of scares me how easy they made it sound to be a dentist:

http://education.yahoo.net/degrees/article.jsp?article=_featured_highest_paying_careers

They start off with the trials and tribulations of people seeking a MD and then follow with this:

Dentists, however, have the distinction of being the only health care professional on that list that work, on average, fewer than 40 hours per week. Yet they continue earning between $85,000 and $120,000 per year, according to the BLS. The other bonus? Relatively fewer hours in school. Most dentists complete a bachelor's degree, four years in dental school, a licensing exam, and voila, you're a dentist.

It's rhetoric like this which will flood the applicant pool with people looking for "get rich quick" schemes. The adcoms will probably see through a lot of it, but then every once in awhile there'd be some of those people slipping in. This could only slowly ruin the profession...

bruinpredent

UCLA School of Dentistry
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Guys I just read this article and it kind of scares me how easy they made it sound to be a dentist:

http://education.yahoo.net/degrees/article.jsp?article=_featured_highest_paying_careers

They start off with the trials and tribulations of people seeking a MD and then follow with this:

It's rhetoric like this which will flood the applicant pool with people looking for "get rich quick" schemes. The adcoms will probably see through a lot of it, but then every once in awhile there'd be some of those people slipping in. This could only slowly ruin the profession...

think of it this way...that many more weak applications to make ours stand out. its all relative anyway :thumbup:

About the Ads

vize

10+ Year Member
May 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
It has already happened. I've been told by schools that they've received 2500+ applications this cycle.

djeffreyt

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2006
Dallas
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
2500 is chump change in # of applications in some schools.

My response to this thread is to check out the lovely thread in the dental forum on being Glorified Tooth Mechanics begun by FS

shamrock2006

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2006
Nowhere and Everywhere
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
yea..the numbers can be astronimical...as at an interview in October..and they guy told us that a friend of his on the adcom at Tufts told him that at the time they had already received over 5000 applications...by october!!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.