Too good to be true?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Optimism Smiles

DAT drains my ATP
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Yesterday I heard a HORROR story about a predent who had a 3.9+ GPA and over a 24 on DAT and didn't even get an interview to our state school. Now I know that I may not know any other aspects of this person's application, but still that got me to thinking...is there any instance where an applicant may have an application that is "too" good? Do you think that an excellent application may:

1. Make the applicant look like too much of a perfectionist.
2. Make the state school question why the applicant is applying there in the first place, and thus deny the applicant an interview/admission because they expect the applicant to choose a "tougher" school (such as an Ivy league, for example).

Now I understand that this story is still just a STORY until it happens to me personally, but I'd like to know what everyone thinks. If this is true, I see this situation as a bit of a catch 22 :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! Yesterday I heard a HORROR story about a predent who had a 3.9+ GPA and over a 24 on DAT and didn't even get an interview to our state school. Now I know that I may not know any other aspects of this person's application, but still that got me to thinking...is there any instance where an applicant may have an application that is "too" good? Do you think that an excellent application may:

2. Make the state school question why the applicant is applying there in the first place, and thus deny the applicant an interview/admission because they expect the applicant to choose a "tougher" school (such as an Ivy league, for example).

Now I understand that this story is still just a STORY until it happens to me personally, but I'd like to know what everyone thinks. If this is true, I see this situation as a bit of a catch 22 :rolleyes:

I don't think there is such a thing as too good to get the interview. I think that there are other extenuating factors that play into a choice by a school to deny an applicant that may look qualified scholastically.

It's not hard to imagine that perhaps this applicant was a little late (maybe not by their reckoning). Maybe the applicant applies in mid to late July...that still means there was a good chance that well over a thousand other applicant files arrived before him and of that thousand, his stats were great like so many of the others. Perhaps the applicant lacked dental experience that made ADCOMs think he had no real knowledge of what dentistry was about. Maybe the applicant mispelled a whole crap load of simple words in his personal statement and the ADCOMs just said...nope...that's just careless. Maybe the School had quotas for different ethnicities, maybe the school simply disliked the applicants personal statement, maybe the applicant has a professor who wrote something bad in a LOR...who knows.

I still doubt that an applicant can be over-academically qualified...but I think that if that is all an applicant has to offer or if other things happen (like a bad LOR or a cynical, greedy tone in the personal statement) that those things can nix you from getting an interview even though your numbers are high.

I don't think there is such a thing as too good to get the interview. I think that there are other extenuating factors that play into a choice by a school to deny an applicant that may look qualified scholastically.

It's not hard to imagine that perhaps this applicant was a little late (maybe not by their reckoning). Maybe the applicant applies in mid to late July...that still means there was a good chance that well over a thousand other applicant files arrived before him and of that thousand, his stats were great like so many of the others. Perhaps the applicant lacked dental experience that made ADCOMs think he had no real knowledge of what dentistry was about. Maybe the applicant mispelled a whole crap load of simple words in his personal statement and the ADCOMs just said...nope...that's just careless. Maybe the School had quotas for different ethnicities, maybe the school simply disliked the applicants personal statement, maybe the applicant has a professor who wrote something bad in a LOR...who knows.

I still doubt that an applicant can be over-academically qualified...but I think that if that is all an applicant has to offer or if other things happen (like a bad LOR or a cynical, greedy tone in the personal statement) that those things can nix you from getting an interview even though your numbers are high.

I agree... But UoP was the only school I didn't get an interview at with 3.8 and 25. My application was there early august. But maybe they were looking for something the other schools weren't...

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree... But UoP was the only school I didn't get an interview at with 3.8 and 25. My application was there early august. But maybe they were looking for something the other schools weren't...

Yea... I really don't get UOP... it seems like their selection can be a little random sometimes. I applied early june. 24+ DATs, tons of ECs etc. UOP was the only one not to offer me an interview....i'm also from bay area and attended UOP pride day...so I really don know.

A kid who works in the pre-dental department at my school said that UoP takes alot of people who have ties to the school, and that they may skip over an applicant if for some reason it doesn't look like they would choose UoP over the other schools they are applying too. All of that could be BS, but that is what he told me.

this is a very funny story ! it doesnt catch anything except for adcom attention.

I dont know about being rejected from your own state school, but otherwise the name for this is "yield protecting". Law schools do this a lot so their accepted to attending ratio is high. Dental schools do this so that they don't waste time and money interviewing and accepting someone who is "too good" for them and will probably be attending a "better" school.

This def happens, just look at all the high DAT's that Temple rejected without an interview on predents.com (kids who are going to Penn, Columbia, Michigan). Or look at all the high GPA, high DAT applicants that a "lesser" state school, like VCU, didn't even invite for an interview b/c they weren't VA residents, like myself. B/c I'm a resident of a state with one of the best public dental schools, VCU in their infinite wisdom doesnt want to waste their time interviewing me bc they feel I'm very likely to be accepted and attend my state school b/c its "better" and cheaper. They didnt even give me the chance to explain how my fiancee has been accepted to both UVA and W&M law schools and those are both within an hour's driving distance from Richmond.

Kinda near-sighted in my opinion, but adcom's dont tend to be very rational from my experiences.

OP- I believe that you are talking about UF.....I know for sure that UF is looking for much more than just "perfect" grades. Having good GPA and Good DAT is very important, but it’s not enough for most D- schools. In most cases, one that does not demonstrate involvement in the dental field and in the community throughout his undergrad studies is often times considered to be less competitive. Some schools are looking in particularly for leadership skills, research and involvement in the dental field and for variety of community service. Enough that this person with 3.9 Gpa and 24+ didn’t have any of these factors- his chances of getting accepted to competitive schools are lower. I hope this better explain to you why some "very qualified" people do not get accepted.

Shuna

OMG, the same damn thing happend to me. VCU didn't even interview me b/c I am from a state with a very good public dental school too. I know this for sure b/c I acutally took the time to CALL VCU and the lady that picked up Name Sharron, told me that my DAT/GPA was too high and they assumed that I would just go to my state school and didn't interview me!!! VCU is guilty of this to ME and two other people I know with very high stats!!! VCU SUCKS!!!!

I dont know about being rejected from your own state school, but otherwise the name for this is "yield protecting". Law schools do this a lot so their accepted to attending ratio is high. Dental schools do this so that they don't waste time and money interviewing and accepting someone who is "too good" for them and will probably be attending a "better" school.

This def happens, just look at all the high DAT's that Temple rejected without an interview on predents.com (kids who are going to Penn, Columbia, Michigan). Or look at all the high GPA, high DAT applicants that a "lesser" state school, like VCU, didn't even invite for an interview b/c they weren't VA residents, like myself. B/c I'm a resident of a state with one of the best public dental schools, VCU in their infinite wisdom doesnt want to waste their time interviewing me bc they feel I'm very likely to be accepted and attend my state school b/c its "better" and cheaper. They didnt even give me the chance to explain how my fiancee has been accepted to both UVA and W&M law schools and those are both within an hour's driving distance from Richmond.

Kinda near-sighted in my opinion, but adcom's dont tend to be very rational from my experiences.

A kid who works in the pre-dental department at my school said that UoP takes alot of people who have ties to the school, and that they may skip over an applicant if for some reason it doesn't look like they would choose UoP over the other schools they are applying too. All of that could be BS, but that is what he told me.

There is definitely more to getting into UOP than high DATs and GPA. It is more pronounced and obvious at UOP that some people get special treatment attention in the application process than others, but some degree of that is true at all schools...Whether it is being a particular ethnicity at some schools, being from a particular region at others, having alumni in the family at school X, or even being from a particular undergrad school for school M. There is always a degree of that special group.

I didn't have any ties to UOP. Not even a letter of recommendation from an Alumni of the school. My stats aren't unusually high either...high, but still, a 22 DAT 23 PAT and 3.7 GPA are pretty run of the mill among most non-connected UOP Interviewees. That being said...I think that UOP, like many schools, looks out for what is in the best interest of their own school. In the end, UOP is a private school and must generate a lot of private funding. A huge source of this is alumni, and when an entire family of people are connected to the same school, it may open the pockets of those people more willingly. UOP still has its standards that all students are required to meet. It doesn't take completely incompetent people into its program just because they are kids of alumni (at least not that I know of...and giving me one or two examples isn't going to sway this belief because every school in the US has accepted outlier students from time to time). Besides, most of these kids of alumni still end up being wonderful dentists and students in the school.

When it comes to the rest of us, the people without connections, I think UOP has a slightly higher set of academic standards in order for us to get an interview, but that again is not it. I personally know about 6 people (including myself) who are going to UOP this coming year. None of us have family connections. Most of us have above 20 DATs and high GPAs, but all of us have strong traits that make us stand out a little...and I think UOP looks for that touch of difference. I've heard Yarborough describe it as looking for a bunch of unique people (as opposed to jacks of all trades) who are super good at one thing and that by combining all these people in a class, you get people with great strengths in very different areas that together weave a very strong tapestry. Two of the guys I know are great athletes and twins, another is outrageously high in his academic stats, I have a 10 year background in art as both a student, teacher, and professional, and one of the girls has leadership written everywhere on her. So I think UOP has things it looks for. It isn't totally random, but it's not as easy to nail down as the UNLV point formula.

There is definitely more to getting into UOP than high DATs and GPA. It is more pronounced and obvious at UOP that some people get special treatment attention in the application process than others, but some degree of that is true at all schools...Whether it is being a particular ethnicity at some schools, being from a particular region at others, having alumni in the family at school X, or even being from a particular undergrad school for school M. There is always a degree of that special group.

I didn't have any ties to UOP. Not even a letter of recommendation from an Alumni of the school. My stats aren't unusually high either...high, but still, a 22 DAT 23 PAT and 3.7 GPA are pretty run of the mill among most non-connected UOP Interviewees. That being said...I think that UOP, like many schools, looks out for what is in the best interest of their own school. In the end, UOP is a private school and must generate a lot of private funding. A huge source of this is alumni, and when an entire family of people are connected to the same school, it may open the pockets of those people more willingly. UOP still has its standards that all students are required to meet. It doesn't take completely incompetent people into its program just because they are kids of alumni (at least not that I know of...and giving me one or two examples isn't going to sway this belief because every school in the US has accepted outlier students from time to time). Besides, most of these kids of alumni still end up being wonderful dentists and students in the school.

When it comes to the rest of us, the people without connections, I think UOP has a slightly higher set of academic standards in order for us to get an interview, but that again is not it. I personally know about 6 people (including myself) who are going to UOP this coming year. None of us have family connections. Most of us have above 20 DATs and high GPAs, but all of us have strong traits that make us stand out a little...and I think UOP looks for that touch of difference. I've heard Yarborough describe it as looking for a bunch of unique people (as opposed to jacks of all trades) who are super good at one thing and that by combining all these people in a class, you get people with great strengths in very different areas that together weave a very strong tapestry. Two of the guys I know are great athletes and twins, another is outrageously high in his academic stats, I have a 10 year background in art as both a student, teacher, and professional, and one of the girls has leadership written everywhere on her. So I think UOP has things it looks for. It isn't totally random, but it's not as easy to nail down as the UNLV point formula.
a

I agree whole-heartedly...I interviewed on the first day of interviews at Pacific and was accepted on Dec1st with no family/alumni/school connections. To the OP, the date of submitting the app could have played a large part...and this cycle seems to have some pretty outstanding people with excellent stats. It is getting very competitive now, and just like for Med school it is now becoming standard to have the numbers...that is just a given that everyone will have great numbers, but they are looking for more than that...they want quality individuals who also have high numbers. It is just where Dental school admissions is headed. good luck to those still waiting or applying next year...it will be crazy.

OMG, the same damn thing happend to me. VCU didn't even interview me b/c I am from a state with a very good public dental school too. I know this for sure b/c I acutally took the time to CALL VCU and the lady that picked up Name Sharron, told me that my DAT/GPA was too high and they assumed that I would just go to my state school and didn't interview me!!! VCU is guilty of this to ME and two other people I know with very high stats!!! VCU SUCKS!!!!

AHH! Thanks for giving me some insight! I may reconsider applying to VCU and wasting my application fee on it if this seems to be a theme... :mad: I appreciate all the advice guys! :)

I know that UoP isn't the only school that lets people in due to alumni connections, like you said most schools do so. They do need a good alumni base. I was just a little bitter that I didn't get an interview there and was accepted to all the other schools I applied to. I have pretty high academic stats and good EC, including working at a dental office for 2 yrs. But I guess there was something they didn't like in my app.and I wasn't a good fit for their program. Congrats on getting in there.

I got interviews at 8 of the 9 schools I applied to. VCU never got back to me. I ended up withdrawing. Never did find out why I wasn't offered an interview. Maybe this explains it.

i'm a GA resident, and MCG didn't offer me an interview...