Too late for a career change?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BioForLife

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody. Haven't posted on this forum in ages. So, I'm currently a third year dental student in my fall semester now. Up to this point, I have never had any sort of issue with didactic material and today found out that I passed Part I of my board exam :) However, lab work is often hit and miss. I have spent many weekends working and improving my hand skills and while it has paid off to the extent that it allowed my to get by on lab courses (sometimes more narrowly than I'd like), and finally get to clinic. Now, there are parts of clinic that I really enjoy. Seeing a new patient, getting to know a bit them and their medical history and diagnosing/treatment planning is always very interesting and exciting. However, the actual procedures are very much not something I enjoy, and strangely seem to enjoy doing less and less over time.

In addition, lately I have been very keen to start a business of my own (don't want to get into any specifics) and I spend alot of time thinking about this. This concept is increasingly more interesting to me than dentistry. I find myself kind of unhappy lately (when one of my friends said I "looked dead inside" that kind of took me back) and know almost for a fact that even if I were to graduate, I would not wish to practice for very long, if at all. Two of the biggest factors holding me back are the amount of student debt I have accumulated (even with scholarships I still have about 200k in debt) and the fact that I just passed my boards after putting alot of time into studying (some people only need a week or two but I'm not really like that). In any case, would a career change at this point be foolish? Is there any merit to this idea at all?

Members don't see this ad.

If you've got a great business idea and you enjoy thinking it through and planning it out, then by all means pursue it. No one ever said you can only have one career in life. Many of my attending have separate business ventures they've gotten involved with. That said, exiting dentistry where you are now might be something you seriously regret someday. Are you interested in entrepreneurship and business in general? Or are you only interested in the particular type of business you are wanting to start? Business and entrepreneurship are a very significant part of dentistry if you choose private practice. And if you really are sick of dentistry, you can pursue a dental path that allows you to have other dentists working for you, while you manage the business.

Dentistry isn't as fun as surfing, but it certainly isn't all that bad. Do what you want, but I've know a few close friends who got a grass is greener mentality, then subconsciously fed the thought that their current state is not enjoyable, then get depressed over it, then abandon ship, only to get a reality check later that it wasn't so bad and their new pursuit wasn't actually all that great. Maybe that is you, maybe it isn't. But if you like business and you like a steady paycheck, with dentistry you can really have your cake and eat it too. Plus, if you are married yet (and even if you are) being a dentist who is also working a side business is a lot more attractive than being a dental school drop out who is trying to start a business.

Congrats on passing Part 1!

Reactions: 1 users
You've already stated that you enjoy meeting your pts, developing a Dx and TP. That is probably the most important part of being a dentist. People skills. Patients trust their dentists because they build a certain relationship with that person. Don't get me wrong ... dental skills are necessary too, but that is not what the patient sees.

The hand skills will come as you gain more experience. Don't worry about it. That's why they call it a "practice". ;)

So ..... stay your course. Be a dentist. But keep working on your other business dream. The dentist part may help to fund your business venture in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everybody. Haven't posted on this forum in ages. So, I'm currently a third year dental student in my fall semester now. Up to this point, I have never had any sort of issue with didactic material and today found out that I passed Part I of my board exam :) However, lab work is often hit and miss. I have spent many weekends working and improving my hand skills and while it has paid off to the extent that it allowed my to get by on lab courses (sometimes more narrowly than I'd like), and finally get to clinic. Now, there are parts of clinic that I really enjoy. Seeing a new patient, getting to know a bit them and their medical history and diagnosing/treatment planning is always very interesting and exciting. However, the actual procedures are very much not something I enjoy, and strangely seem to enjoy doing less and less over time.

In addition, lately I have been very keen to start a business of my own (don't want to get into any specifics) and I spend alot of time thinking about this. This concept is increasingly more interesting to me than dentistry. I find myself kind of unhappy lately (when one of my friends said I "looked dead inside" that kind of took me back) and know almost for a fact that even if I were to graduate, I would not wish to practice for very long, if at all. Two of the biggest factors holding me back are the amount of student debt I have accumulated (even with scholarships I still have about 200k in debt) and the fact that I just passed my boards after putting alot of time into studying (some people only need a week or two but I'm not really like that). In any case, would a career change at this point be foolish? Is there any merit to this idea at all?

Finish off school and pursue your other interests then

The way I see it, to succeed in any sort of career path or business, you've got to put invest a big part of yourself in it - blood, sweat, and tears.

You've already completed more than half of your dental education (and arguably, the foundational half since now you're applying knowledge and skills you learned in your first two years). You've already invested a lot, and you're almost there.

Your business may succeed. It may not. You will start from the beginning there though.

Why not finish dentistry off, use the income as a safe way to service your loans (work part-time if you want), and use your weekends and time off to get your business off the ground?

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone. You're definitely right. I'll keep going. It really doesn't make sense to have invested all this time and money to have nothing to show for it. Finishing dental school and working hard to pay off my debt while pursuing a business on the side is by far the safest option.

Thanks everyone. You're definitely right. I'll keep going. It really doesn't make sense to have invested all this time and money to have nothing to show for it. Finishing dental school and working hard to pay off my debt while pursuing a business on the side is by far the safest option.

Good decision. Since we all helped you with this decision. Maybe when your other business takes off .... you can let us in with some early IPO stock. :D

Reactions: 3 users