too late to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

godzilla0120

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Before I was pursuing for medical school, but now after thinking about it, I rather settle for dental.

My question is if I want to matriculate in 2009 year, is it too late to apply?

I haven't taken the DAT yet, planning to take it in two weeks.
I'm also in a certificate program.

any input is appreciated!
thanks.

~godzilla0120

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Before I was pursuing for medical school, but now after thinking about it, I rather settle for dental.

thanks.

~godzilla0120

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

thanks.

~godzilla0120

*sigh*

Good luck with that. I really hope you don't think getting into dental school is going to be significantly easier, because you might be in for a serious surprise.

The fact that you feel like your settling is already setting you up for failure...

I am, er, uh um unable to, er explain, um with specitivity the, er reason for uh, this. That is, um above my er, pay grade.

I am, er, uh um unable to, er explain, um with specitivity the, er reason for uh, this. That is, um above my er, pay grade.

Specitivity eh...

Hey guys,

as soon as i read this one word i knew the thread was gonna turn out like this... OP should have thought about that before...

Hmm, I think it will be hard, because you will have a late application, a late DAT, and with this decision made so spontaneously, you probably have no shadowing experience. They will be able to see right through you.

My answer is...depends.

What is your GPA???

What is the "certificte program" that you're in?

I've known people to get interviewed before they take their DATs...but their GPA was really high.

Get your apps in...your transcripts mailed out...and just wait.

You might end up getting the last batch of interviews if your numbers are sky high.

Otherwise, I'd wait out until the next cycle.

Early bird always gets the worm!

Good luck.

I wish you good luck getting into medical school. You will not get accepted into Dental school. Now, you could settle for a D.O. school... and I hear they got nice weather in the Carribbean...

If you have a 3.7+ GPA you still have a shot at applying this cycle. Other than that it's next cycle for you.

But to be honest, getting into dental school is not a walk in the park like you might imagine it to be, it's very competitive and you'll need stellar marks and DAT scores just like you need to amazing MCAT and gpa scores for medical. Honestly if this was 10+ years ago and you said you'll settle for dental it might of actually made some sense because it was much easier to get in. Now it's a crap shoot just like getting into medical (unless you have the gpa and DAT marks). I would suggest just sticking to what you want to really do, if that's medicine you should try to live your dream.

hehe i saw the word "settle", i knew that the thread was gonna turn into this. But i don't blame everyone, dentistry is a respected profession and to settle for it is a huge misconception. Your going to regret being a dentist for the next 40 years if your just settling.

hehe i saw the word "settle", i knew that the thread was gonna turn into this. But i don't blame everyone, dentistry is a respected profession and to settle for it is a huge misconception. Your going to regret being a dentist for the next 40 years if your just settling.

Judging from the way everyone flamed him I'm guessing that some egos were nudged in the wrong way.....which shouldnt be the case if they themselves are not ignorant about what dentistry is really about.

Actually last semester I met a girl in lab and asked her what she wanted to go into. I took guesses like physician, dentist... when she heard "dentist" she had a disgusted look on her face and said only people that can't become 'real' doctors settle for dentistry. My friend and I looked at each other and we knew that virtually nothing we could say would change her mind about it. She told me that she wanted to become a G.P. and so I encouraged her to follow her heart (or however the media has shaped up her opinion anyways....).

You know what's interesting? I have yet to see a dentist in any soap or popular tv show. It's always ER surgeons and whatnot. It's not surprise to me that people look up to doctors as valuable people worthy of respect.
Anyway I think respect is something that is earned from your day to day interactions with other people, not something to be expected because of a title. That's what I think anyway.

I rather settle for dental.

Oops! I hope that is just a poor choice of words and not how you really feel about dentistry. If you really feel this way, some serious reflection about your career goals is necessary.

As to your question, it is getting late in the cycle, but if you have all of your affairs in order (shadowing, volunteering, LORs, etc.) then it is not too late. Do well on the DAT (shoot for scores of 20+) and submit your AADSAS shortly after you take your DAT and see where dentistry can take you.

Good luck.

Brian

Last edited: