Too late to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolchix321

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Id like to apply for dental school for Fall 2010
Is it too late?
I havent taken the DATs yet nor have I filled out the application...
where can I find deadlines?
What are the best materials to use in order to study for the test?
Id like to take the DAT as soon as possible... best books to use?
Can I apply before taking the DAT?
Any tips?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Here's the information...

http://www.adea.org/dental_educatio...ents/2010SupplementalTableCompleteList(2).pdf

This is the pdf format and it tells you everything including deadlines, person to contact, what you should do after you submitted application from AADSAS, and application fees.

In my opinion, late or not... really depends on yourself. if you can make everything happened in 1 month, dat, applications, LORs, etc. or else i would suggest you just wait for next upcoming cycle.

also, if you just want to apply to fewer than 10 schools or less, pretty confident that you can score 20+ in your dat, and your gpa has >3.4... then, in my opinion, the application still still not too late... who knows, miracles happen...:D

Most of the deadlines are in January or after
So how is applying by November late?
does it hurt me that I applied for medical school for Fall 2010? Do I have to withdraw?

Members don't see this ad :)
does it hurt me that I applied for medical school for Fall 2010? Do I have to withdraw?

It's late cuz it's rolling admission. And yes applying to both med and dental schools in the same cycle will hurt u a lot. It shows lack of commitment. You can apply before taking the DAT. Check out the DAT forum to see the list of materials people usually use and their study strategies.

Dental schools are on rolling admission and applications are reviewed from early summer. Most schools have given a considerable number of interviews already. The later you apply, the fewer seats will be available and therefore you have less of a chance and more competition. Like the person before me said, you might still have a shot if you have super high stats and get to finish everything in a month, but your chances won't be as high as someone who applied say in July.

Did you already apply to medical school this year? It really does not look good that you want to apply to both. You should make up your mind about which one would be a better fit for you!

I dont want to medical, but I applied and did everything
can i or should i withdraw from medical? will that help my chances with dental?
how do i withdraw?

Withdrawing requires you to contact the schools and request them to withdraw your application. You make it sound as if something drastic happened to you recently to go from medical to dental. Eitherway they will see that you've taken your MCATs and since you made such a quick switch, they will most likely question your decision and commitment to dentistry.

Eitherway they will see that you've taken your MCATs and since you made such a quick switch, they will most likely question your decision and commitment to dentistry.

Who are they? How would they know if I withdrew or not? I can't just be like I never applied?

If your dentistry experience isn't there (shadowing, volunteering, etc), then your committment to dentistry will be questioned by the admissions comittee (thats who "they" are). They do ask you about your prior applications to other professional schools and any exams you've taken besides the DAT. You would need a LOR from a dentist to attest to your experience in dentistry as well. Finding one to write a letter for you in a months time will be quite difficult.

When you apply through AADSAS, they ask for your SSN. They might be able to look up your MCAT record with it, they might not. You can lie but if they find out, don't be surprised if your application is rescinded.

Dentistry is VERY different from medicine. You work with patients but in dentistry you work with teeth, saliva, blood, bad breath, etc. Yes, dentists are financially successful but if you have no prior experience with the field and you jump into because it is less competitive than medical school, you will most likely regret it once you start working.

it is not required to give your SSN

The only question on the AADSAS I remember referring to applying to other health profession schools was this.

Have you previously, or are you currently applying to a health profession school other than dental school?

Taking the MCAT in the past should not affect your dental application. I don't see what the big deal is. If you have already applied I would withdraw your medical applications. I have heard so much about the exam I would sure like to see what its all about. But I understand most individuals stance on this forum and the stigma about pre-MD students who switch within the same year to become pre-Dental students all of a sudden. Dental isn't easier than becoming an MD if you are looking at the classes dental students must complete.

To answer your question on your chances... It is a bit late in the cycle. Its not over though. You could apply but with how much information you would have to gather in the next month (letters stating dental instead of medical, submitting your transcripts, taking your DATs) it will be very difficult. However, schools still interview after January and you may have a shot at those schools (most will be private schools you may even have a good shot at NYU). What I would recommend is to find a reason why you switched and think to yourself how will I answer this question if an adcom asks me why I have a medical background. You also need to shadow a dentist. If you can find a good situation then I would approach that dentist and try to get the hours + a letter. This is easier said than done though. Best of luck.

Losing 1 year in the grand scheme of your life goals isn't the do all end all of your life. You will surely find yourself within that year and figure out what you really want. Maybe dentistry will be part of that .. maybe it wont. If you do well on your DATs I would really consider applying next cycle for the reason that you could get into a better school and be much happier than rushing your application this cycle and going somewhere that you are paying through the nose for. Being a NY resident is a huge advantage for you.. I wish I was one.. then maybe Stony Brook would fall in love with me.

Materials to study for DAT:
(This is assuming money isn't an issue)
Crack DAT PAT 10 ACE Test Edition $130
Kaplan Blue Book ($50 on amazon)
DAT Destroyer and Math Destroyer Combo Package $200

Topscore (3 tests $60? I think)
DAT Achiever (3 tests $60 as well I think?)

Last edited:
what do you mean?
what is the stigma?

Members don't see this ad :)
Schools wont know u took the MCAT or any other tests. But they will ask you if u are applying to other professional schools this cycle and past cycles. Withdrawing wouldn't help now. If u feel like u can just lie about not applying.. remember the risk of dishonesty..

what do you mean?
what is the stigma?

I speak for myself but I think most people on this forum would agree that pre med students think dental school is a backup option for them. This does not mean you are any less qualified as an applicant but understand you are going against the grain. Most students who are dental applicants may have entertained the idea of being an MD but didn't apply and chose dentistry after careful consideration. Don't take this the wrong way please.

Id like to apply for dental school for Fall 2010
Is it too late? Yes! In my opinion it's too late to apply for the 2010 cycle now. Many students have already gone to 4-5 interviews. So, if you decide to apply now, you'll be way down on the list, which will in turn lower your chances of even getting an interview.
I havent taken the DATs yet nor have I filled out the application...
where can I find deadlines?
For more information on deadlines go to:
https://portal.aadsasweb.org/aadsas2009/deadlines.htm
Another reason why you'll be late for this cycle is that even if you take the DAT tomorrow, it will take ADA 3-4 weeks to process your scores and forward them to your designated schools. By that time, many schools have already sent out the first batch of their acceptance letters.
What are the best materials to use in order to study for the test?
1-KAPLAN Blue Book
2-DAT Destroyer
3-Cliff's Review Notes
4-TopScore
5-DAT Achiever
6-Crack DAT PAT

I'm sure you'll find many more resource out there. However, these are some of the most common resources used by predental students to prepare for the DAT.
Id like to take the DAT as soon as possible... best books to use?
Can I apply before taking the DAT?
You could! But schools won't really consider your application nor will they make any serious decisions about it until they see some scores on your file.
Any tips?
Instead of wasting your money applying this cycle, take your time, prepare as well as possible for your DAT, and apply during the next cycle.
Thanks
Ideally, you should follow the following time line:

30ms747.jpg

it takes 3-4 weeks to process scores? but you get your score immediately...
i have dental experience though...
what should i do?

what should i do?

How high is your GPA and how well did you do on the MCATs if you don't mind me asking. If you have above a 3.5 and did pretty well on the science section of the MCAT(though different from the DAT) you might be able to pull off a high DAT score. In that case if you really want to apply this cycle, you might have a chance!

what should i do?
The scores that you receive immediately are UNOFFICIAL scores and although some may tell you that you can fax them to schools, schools won't make any decisions regarding your application until they receive the OFFICIAL scores from ADA, and that takes 3-4 weeks of processing.
The term "Dental Experience" is something that gets thrown around a lot by many predental students, but it really doesn't mean anything. The fact that you've shadowed a dentist or worked at a dental LAB doesn't mean much in terms of your admission; It only shows that you're familiar with the field and you're making an informed decision. However, you still need to show the adcoms that you have the strong academic background necessary to survive in Dental School, and most schools tend to look at your DAT scores as an indication of that.
So, before anything else, you NEED to take your DAT and get it over with. When you obtain your DAT scores, depending on how you performed, you'll have a much better idea of wether or not you'll have a chance during this cycle.

The scores that you receive immediately are UNOFFICIAL scores and although some may tell you that you can fax them to schools, schools won't make any decisions regarding your application until they receive the OFFICIAL scores from ADA, and that takes 3-4 weeks of processing.
The term "Dental Experience" is something that gets thrown around a lot by many predental students, but it really doesn't mean anything. The fact that you've shadowed a dentist or worked at a dental LAB doesn't mean much in terms of your admission; It only shows that you're familiar with the field and you're making an informed decision. However, you still need to show the adcoms that you have the strong academic background necessary to survive in Dental School, and most schools tend to look at your DAT scores as an indication of that.
So, before anything else, you NEED to take your DAT and get it over with. When you obtain your DAT scores, depending on how you performed, you'll have a much better idea of wether or not you'll have a chance during this cycle.

well said! :thumbup:

thanks
so what are you suggesting? what should i do?
based on your experience... whats my best bet now?
thanks

thanks
so what are you suggesting? what should i do?
based on your experience... whats my best bet now?
thanks

:eyebrow: He's suggesting that you should take the DAT asap (of course when u're ready)

Was my previous post really that unclear?!:shifty:

define ASAP
i can still apply for this cycle? fall 2010?

define ASAP
i can still apply for this cycle? fall 2010?

Define ASAP?!?!? Are you trying to be annoying or is it just happening naturally?

Seriously you have gotten the best possible answers from numerous posters above and one guy even posted a visual timeline. Do yourself a favor and wait to apply until you have thought this all through. You are obviously just making hasty decisions and throwing it into panic mode because you're concerned about losing a year.

However if you want to roll the dice and shoot for this cycle then good luck with the process.

maybe it's all a joke?!!?

im not joking
im asking to define asap because the timeline shows you can submit the app until december
thats why im confused
its only october

im not joking
im asking to define asap because the timeline shows you can submit the app until december
thats why im confused
its only october
"ROLLING" admission. enough said.:sleep:
Good luck!

Dental schools are on rolling admission and applications are reviewed from early summer. Most schools have given a considerable number of interviews already. The later you apply, the fewer seats will be available and therefore you have less of a chance and more competition. Like the person before me said, you might still have a shot if you have super high stats and get to finish everything in a month, but your chances won't be as high as someone who applied say in July.

Did you already apply to medical school this year? It really does not look good that you want to apply to both. You should make up your mind about which one would be a better fit for you!

Re-read Pampam's post. And doesn't the same concept apply for med?

While it is definitely possible to get in after taking the DAT and applying in November ( my DAT 11/13, App Submitted 11/17), I'll be the first to admit that it's an incredible long shot, and you need to have amazing DAT scores, just so you can get your foot in the door. As everyone else has been saying, the Adcoms have been looking at hundreds of application already, and yours needs to stand out and be better than just above average.

Nze was right in saying that your admissions chances depend almost solely on the outcome of your DAT right now. I really don't like being a downer, but would it be so bad to take the extra year off, and then be an amazing candidate? I know people don't like to wait, but what would be the downside, other than not starting in Fall 2010? If it's loans from undergrad that you're worried about, go to a CC or a 4 year that lets you take extension classes, retake some classes to get better grades, and be the minimum for full time.

Whatever you decide to do, just keep a clear head, and good luck - if you work had enough and have the dedication, you'll get there eventually.

is it better if i apply this year AND next year?
or to only apply next year?

honestly, i think you should wait until next year and apply (i only said 'should' so you can def go ahead and apply but it's my opinion).

choosing a career field requires serious considerations and also you need to be able to show them that you are mature and experienced about the choice you're making.
I am pretty sure you behave more mature and properly in real person but from reading your previous posts, it sounds like you are still very immature and not sure of what you're doing / what to do.
It would be hard to get an interview if you are applying late in the cycle (post-dec interviews most likely if there are some) but even then Adcom will definitely see that through.

You're talking about hiding the fact about applying to med schools. We are in health profession field, and honesty and ethics are one of the most important things. I think better way to go is: 1) start doing research for dentistry, 2) start shadowing / working for a dentist during that one year you have (in order to show ADCOM that you have made a serious change to dentistry and you have been exposed to the field to understand what it's like to be in one), 3) Get LORs from professors, please do not use the same LORs that you have used for medical school application since they must at least indicate why you want to become a 'dentist' there somewhere and also get LOR from a dentist that you will be shadowing / working for, 4) start preparing for DAT and do well, 5) apply by June of next year so you can have the maximum chance.

You still havent done any of the things above, which are the things most of pre-dents do. You could still make it this year if you have amazing stats but for the school and for you i would suggest taking a year to really get yourself prepared.

Also, letting us know your oGPA,sGPA, and MCAT score to know your academic background would help people with answering your questions.

honestly, i think you should wait until next year and apply (i only said 'should' so you can def go ahead and apply but it's my opinion).

choosing a career field requires serious considerations and also you need to be able to show them that you are mature and experienced about the choice you're making.
I am pretty sure you behave more mature and properly in real person but from reading your previous posts, it sounds like you are still very immature and not sure of what you're doing / what to do.
It would be hard to get an interview if you are applying late in the cycle (post-dec interviews most likely if there are some) but even then Adcom will definitely see that through.

You're talking about hiding the fact about applying to med schools. We are in health profession field, and honesty and ethics are one of the most important things. I think better way to go is: 1) start doing research for dentistry, 2) start shadowing / working for a dentist during that one year you have (in order to show ADCOM that you have made a serious change to dentistry and you have been exposed to the field to understand what it's like to be in one), 3) Get LORs from professors, please do not use the same LORs that you have used for medical school application since they must at least indicate why you want to become a 'dentist' there somewhere and also get LOR from a dentist that you will be shadowing / working for, 4) start preparing for DAT and do well, 5) apply by June of next year so you can have the maximum chance.

You still havent done any of the things above, which are the things most of pre-dents do. You could still make it this year if you have amazing stats but for the school and for you i would suggest taking a year to really get yourself prepared.

Also, letting us know your oGPA,sGPA, and MCAT score to know your academic background would help people with answering your questions.

Simply, PERFECT!!!

If you've got the cash, and you think you could get a decent score on the DAT in a few weeks, applying this year and next year wouldn't necessarily hurt you. Though if you take the DAT and do rather badly, that could hurt you in the long run, because some schools look at all of your DAT attempts.

The application process is rather expensive, I applied to 23 schools because I applied late, and though it was rather risky, it payed off. I don't want to give you false hope though, each case is different.