Too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yellow mellow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a couple more months till residency is finally over so I am freaking out because I just started my job search this week. So my question is am I late in the process? Also, this may sound like I have been living under a rock but what exactly is an independent contractor? One of the jobs that I am looking at offers no paid sick or vacation time as an IC....so exactly how does it work when I need time off? Sorry for the stupid question. Also, what are the pros and cons of working in the VA vs being an IC aside from the salary and paid holidays. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I have a couple more months till residency is finally over so I am freaking out because I just started my job search this week. So my question is am I late in the process? Also, this may sound like I have been living under a rock but what exactly is an independent contractor? One of the jobs that I am looking at offers no paid sick or vacation time as an IC....so exactly how does it work when I need time off? Sorry for the stupid question. Also, what are the pros and cons of working in the VA vs being an IC aside from the salary and paid holidays. Thanks
Independant contractors are not employees. Whoever is paying you does not withhold any taxes, no Social Security and Medicare taxes. You have to save your money and pay all of the taxes yourself. Also, employers typically pay half of the employment taxes, Social Security and Medicare, but as an independent contractor you pay all of this. You do not get any benefits like retirement plans or health care. Independent contractors usually do not get any paid time off, if you're not working you're not getting paid. That being said, independent contractors typically make more than employees.

Independant contractors are not employees. Whoever is paying you does not withhold any taxes, no Social Security and Medicare taxes. You have to save your money and pay all of the taxes yourself. Also, employers typically pay half of the employment taxes, Social Security and Medicare, but as an independent contractor you pay all of this. You do not get any benefits like retirement plans or health care. Independent contractors usually do not get any paid time off, if you're not working you're not getting paid. That being said, independent contractors typically make more than employees.
can you give some examples of psychiatrists and independent contractor jobs for more clarity??

Members don't see this ad :)
A

Pros: very good pension plan that would follow you if you worked at other VAs or state hospitals. Serving people who served our country.
Cons: VA bureaucracy, several of the psychiatrists aren't that good (though some are), frequent malingerers, a very specific and limited treatment population

Pros: very good pension plan that would follow you if you worked at other VAs or state hospitals. Serving people who served our country.
Cons: VA bureaucracy, several of the psychiatrists aren't that good (though some are), frequent malingerers, a very specific and limited treatment population

Do you have any thoughts on Kaiser?

In the VA, you will basically do med management ONLY day in and day out. There really is no room for psychiatrists to do anything other than that, with the exception of teaching and supervision, if its academically affiliated facility.

I'm at a VA now - doing pretty good specializing in PTSD and Sleep Medicine. Building a name for myself and my practice - the bureaucracy does rule and so does the heiarchy. Drop me a line if you'd like to know more.

I'm at a VA now - doing pretty good specializing in PTSD and Sleep Medicine. Building a name for myself and my practice - the bureaucracy does rule and so does the heiarchy. Drop me a line if you'd like to know more.
Is it difficult to land a job in VA?

Depends a lot on location. I think my VA has about 3 full time psychiatrists that couldn't retire yesterday. I get the feeling we would not turn down young blood so long as you are competent.

What is the best way to apply for VA ....I have applied through usajobs but was told by someone that this could take months...

Well that's the government for ya. Has nothing to do with usajobs website. From the time of my app to first day was 4 months. That was considered "record time."