1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

too little DO experience???

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by kyoung, Dec 6, 2000.

1. kyoung

kyoung Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm interviewing at MSU next week, and have been using this website and other resources for preparation. However, I'm now nervous that I may be grilled on the fact that my experience with osteopathic medicine was working and shadowing in the ER a year ago. I'm currently working as a nutritionist in a mainly allopathic oriented hospital. My question is: how badly is this going to hurt my chances? I have done my homework on osteopathic medicine and am intrigued by it. I only applied to DO schools, since it is what I want to practice. But I have not had the privilage of seeing OMT be done. Am I doomed???

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Akron Ohio

Akron Ohio Member
    10+ Year Member

No not at all. I would guess about 90% of the applicants don't have hands on experience, or even have seen it done. When I interviewed at KCOM (Kirksville), they gave us a demonstration to familiarize us with it, and to explain how it benefits the body. For your benefit though I would try to understand the concept of the theory of why it is done before you interview. The best resource for this is first the book "The DO's" by Norman Gevits, and second,one of the many web sites on the topic.

4. kyoung

kyoung Member
    10+ Year Member

Thank you for the imput. I'm planning on picking up "The DO's" today, since so many have recommended it. PS - I just received a call for an interview for Chicago!